Investing General Discussion

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
Someone who understands this stuff better than me tell us when the GME thing is supposed to explode. Right at closing bell? Right before? Right after? I need to know so I can sell my 1 share :rolleyes:

This is the exact functionality of the stock market. Is binary. For every buyer there is a seller. Feeling bad for bagholders is like feeling bad for Jets fans. It just isn't in my DNA. If it was, I wouldn't invest.
yeah. I mean, reality is what it is, and it is up to me to deal with that. That's just how it is. Minivan lady needs to wise up fast, and that's hard truth just like being a Jets fan. But you do clarify part of why I just don't do this stuff. I'm wired soft. Lots of ways not to be a sucker, fortunately.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
If the stock is shorted over 100% please tell me how it hurts a normal person? That stock can literally continue to rise if the shorts arent satisfied. You understand that right?

If you still hold the equity after the short squeeze, you have to sell it to someone or you'll be sitting on it for the crash.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, there's some ethical self-examination that needs to be done here on participating in this kind of thing. While there are some guilt-free lulz to be had about sticking it to some big players, those guys are also in the best position to protect themselves. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be profiting on a meme stock (assuming I successfully got out high) knowing there are pretty good odds I'm actually taking money from minivan lady in the parking lot.
So profit on it and buy some broke ass looking person a tank of gas every so often.

People are happy sticking it to these guys because they live and love taking people like that woman’s money with no remorse and blow it on shit like suits and rolexes. I feel bad for that lady too for being dumb, but odds are her life has been littered with poor choices like investing in meme stocks she has no knowledge about and it’s why she’s driving a beat up van instead of a decent one.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
as I understand it, RH didn't run out of money. when you buy/sell through RH, what you sell isn't bought by someone at RH. RH moves your transaction through a clearning house. that process takes 2 days. that process comes w/ a cost, a 1-3% based on the stock price, as the stock will probably move in price over those 2 days. RH keeps enough cash to cover the typcial volume of trades at a 1-3% cost.

the clearing house saw the price swings on these stocks, so jumped the cost on them from 1-3% to 100%. this meant RH could no longer cover trades on those stocks.

Every brokerage that used a clearing house was hit w/ this crazy spike in cost to trade those stocks. Fidelity doesn't use a clearing house, thus why they never had a problem continuing to let people buy through their platfrom.

someone correct me if i'm misunderstanding any of this.
So explain why they limited buying, but not selling?

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Theoretical question from a pleb like me with no deep understanding of many of these things.

Lets say for whatever fuckery reason, there’s a panic and GME shoots back down to $25 or something like that.

Hedges have lost billions this week. In that kind of event, would the hedges get all their money back and then some, or would it be more or less parity, or would they get some back but still be bigly down.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The whole market seems depressed today, might be a good buying opportunity in general?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Theoretical question from a pleb like me with no deep understanding of many of these things.

Lets say for whatever fuckery reason, there’s a panic and GME shoots back down to $25 or something like that.

Hedges have lost billions this week. In that kind of event, would the hedges get all their money back and then some, or would it be more or less parity, or would they get some back but still be bigly down.

It's impossible to say because you don't know what they have done with their positions during this week. Some that started out getting hurt 3 days ago won't surprise me at all that they profited bigly off of this.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
as I understand it, RH didn't run out of money. when you buy/sell through RH, what you sell isn't bought by someone at RH. RH moves your transaction through a clearning house. that process takes 2 days. that process comes w/ a cost, a 1-3% based on the stock price, as the stock will probably move in price over those 2 days. RH keeps enough cash to cover the typcial volume of trades at a 1-3% cost.

the clearing house saw the price swings on these stocks, so jumped the cost on them from 1-3% to 100%. this meant RH could no longer cover trades on those stocks.

Every brokerage that used a clearing house was hit w/ this crazy spike in cost to trade those stocks. Fidelity doesn't use a clearing house, thus why they never had a problem continuing to let people buy through their platfrom.

someone correct me if i'm misunderstanding any of this.

Yup the clearinghouse (apparently the same one accounts for 75% of the volume for clearinghouses) got really nervous when the volume was getting close to 1 billion. That's a lot of lot of shit to possibly get stuck with.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
It's impossible to say because you don't know what they have done with their positions during this week. Some that started out getting hurt 3 days ago won't surprise me at all that they profited bigly off of this.

Got it, interesting. We’ll just have to wait and see then.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
The squeeze never ends if you continue to hold.

The short holders can close the position whenever they decide they've had enough. (That may have already happened to a significant degree here, we don't really know. 90% of GME changed hands yesterday.) Then you've got your money tied up in inflated stock no one wants. Race to the bottom as soon as anyone tries to get out, and someone always will.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1611950833998.png

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Someone or something had to bleed out for the funds involved to stay solvent. I fell they just made the decision to let RH go up in flames to save the rest of the fleet. Make no mistake to lose RH to this debacle cost them a shit load but it saved so much more.

EDIT
All these lawsuits won't mean jack when they file for bankruptcy in the next few months.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
So furious with RH right now. They are blocking every move I try and make. Limited me to 1 share of GME.... 1 share... 25 shares of AMC. If you guys see any class action stuff that looks legit please post it. I'm pissed.

I mean this shit is 100.00% rigged and why I never got into it.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Someone or something had to bleed out for the funds involved to stay solvent. I fell they just made the decision to let RH go up in flames to save the rest of the fleet. Make no mistake to lose RH to this debacle cost them a shit load but it saved so much more.
Gives someone the perfect opportunity to make an RH clone.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users