Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes if you have a free moment from smashing your keyboard for four letter combinations that might be SPACs check out JEPI, very different kind of ETF that you might be interested in.

Nice dividend, too bad it's only 6 months old, would love to see how it performed over a longer time frame

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Nice dividend, too bad it's only 6 months old, would love to see how it performed over a longer time frame

The funds strategy is my strategy so it's a great benchmark for me to weigh my success/failure

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The first time is always the hardest. All joking aside, you'd probably be more suited to options than individual stocks.
Nah, I'm buy and hold the total market. Always have been.

It was definitely an interesting week though. I learned a lot. I've mentioned before I have a finance degree, but I don't work in anything really "finance" related.

It also made my days fly by as I was constantly reading and watching the prices go by.

• 2Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are similar funds with longer track records. Its Q4 dividend crashed hard. I need to really dig into it. Also the .35% net fee is annoying. It mght be a winner for my Mom's accounts.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Remind me to tell you about my XOM trade sometime...
Speaking of, this whole ordeal got me to actually read WSB for the first time (I never really read anything there). Shit like that guy trying to figure out how to accept physical barrels of oil was fucking hilarious.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Selling broadcast.com in 1999 is the only reason you know his name. It was one the worst buyouts in all of history and he is the beneficiary of that. He may have areas of expertise and I assure you it's not the stock market. Don't know if I care enough to start digging up his quotes about the market for years now that were completely and demonstrably off base. So I'll clarify he is a grade A dumbass when it comes to the markets. He may have some acumen in business, every time I hear the guy over the years he is speaking about topics he knows nothing about. He might sound quite different when discussing something he actually understands.
I can get behind this take. He makes his money in sales and not by trading for sure.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Nah, I'm buy and hold the total market. Always have been.

It was definitely an interesting week though. I learned a lot. I've mentioned before I have a finance degree, but I don't work in anything really "finance" related.

It also made my days fly by as I was constantly reading and watching the prices go by.
Ya it was almost worth the price of admission. Almost.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Alright, I'm out. -$491.58 on a $1000 buy.

Fuck a bunch of that.
So, my experience similar to this is a bit different from meme stock, but I think we've all been where you are now. The lesson is invaluable and kind of shows how the fundamentals exist for a reason.

The first time I tried to make big bucks on the market was when BTC was at $16k on the DOWNSWING. That's when I got in, lol. Over the next year it just kept going down until it hit $8k and I lost half my money. I watched the ticker every-single-day for a year and ended up getting in deeper at $11k. I had to wait two years to get my money back, but two weeks ago I ended up selling at $32k. In the end I made $8,000 on a $4,000 investment when I had been royaly losing my ass for months...years even.

The lesson I learned was to play long and not get out. I'm a total noob, so this may not even be a good rule. Even with NOK and BB I've continued to invest as the stock tanks bc these are long plays. Am I a retard? Probably. BTC is the only "stock" that I've invested in and made money. Other than that I have lost. I have a ROTH and some ETF's in Betterment that have made money, but I have only ever lost when investing in individual stocks until BTC.

I rinse/repeated with GME and AMC and lost like $300. I made $200 back with DOGE, but this is all just clown-world shit.

• 1Like

Kiki

Log Wizard
He was the league of legends fanboy for a while, became the poster child, and did horribly there. Then he turned around and said they were bad investments. Dude is an idiot. Also, thanks for wearing a shirt that says "I'm rich." What a pretentious asshole.