Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just went long AMZN...again @ $3200 have flipped it several times as it stays trapped in this consolidation box. We are in the middle of the box so taking a little risk here we revisit the bottom
Bold Strategy Cotton GIF by MOODMAN

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Last fall I was closing an account and for a short while I had $2 in that account. Put it into a penny stock for a short time. It made a whopping few pennies then closed the account. Today notice it's gone from $2 to $45 today. Sucks to be me.

• 1Paper Hands
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not too worried, I was carrying it into next week since options don't expire until 6/18. Hopefully next week can carry it over 5

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not too worried, I was carrying it into next week since options don't expire until 6/18. Hopefully next week can carry it over 5

I wouldn't count it. My best recommendation is to get off the meme train of trying to strike it rich. You have better odd of getting rich by trying to research some currently low value up and coming company and buying a shitload of 1 year calls, or even better, the actual stock.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wouldn't count it. My best recommendation is to get off the meme train of trying to strike it rich. You have better odd of getting rich by trying to research some currently low value up and coming company and buying a shitload of 1 year calls, or even better, the actual stock.

It's just a small little lotto play, nothing too serious. Its a fraction of a %

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's just a small little lotto play, nothing too serious. Its a fraction of a %

I know, I am just conservative with most of my investments. A loss of a few % here and there can add up fast. My target is 2% gain per week to give you an idea, which i think is super low and would put me on target to double my money each year. If i can get more of course i take it and obviously i dont always hit it, but i rarely chase the dream.

The few times i did chase things i either made money but by what i would argue is pure luck or i lost some. My #1 personal mistake with trading is impatience and “wanting to get in now” thinking that whatever new hot thing is golden and if i dont get in now i miss out on my 1 opportunity. My logic, patience, and experience has taught me this is not true. There is ALWAYS some new coin or some exploding stock on a monthly basis.

Now i have lost a lot on opporunity costs for sure. Probably not Blazin Blazin , Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes levels of money, but a lot to me. I just tell myself “im glad i got 1$ instead of -1$” even if missed out on 3$….and no, telling myself that doesnt help out on thesad panda feeling at all.

Another question for the big players. I know many of you are options traders(first?) but i have an “on average” question for you all.

As part of my “missing out” statement above, do you find you do better trying to match a good premium above your purchase, maybe even letting yourself get called since money is money or putting a trailing stop $/% at the roughly equal premium?

I feel like in those situations where shit blows up the stop is better, but since i have zero ability to see that coming i am missing opportunity by not selling CC….yet on the flip side i sell a CC and while i didnt lose money, i get assigned when i could have sold for much more using the other method

• 1WTF

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
For options I like to get at least 1% premium a week, so look for a stock/strike that is close to that which is also close or well above that stocks support. That's for selling puts. For CC's I've had bad luck selling CC's on volatile stocks so if a "safe" strike has very little premium I don't even bother. Right now I have puts on Mara at 20/21 each with about 2% premium a week, and I wouldn't mind owning MARA at 20/21 either way so win/win

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I know, I am just conservative with most of my investments. A loss of a few % here and there can add up fast. My target is 2% gain per week to give you an idea, which i think is super low and would put me on target to double my money each year. If i can get more of course i take it and obviously i dont always hit it, but i rarely chase the dream.

The few times i did chase things i either made money but by what i would argue is pure luck or i lost some. My #1 personal mistake with trading is impatience and “wanting to get in now” thinking that whatever new hot thing is golden and if i dont get in now i miss out on my 1 opportunity. My logic, patience, and experience has taught me this is not true. There is ALWAYS some new coin or some exploding stock on a monthly basis.

Now i have lost a lot on opporunity costs for sure. Probably not Blazin Blazin , Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes levels of money, but a lot to me. I just tell myself “im glad i got 1$ instead of -1$” even if missed out on 3$….and no, telling myself that doesnt help out on thesad panda feeling at all.

Another question for the big players. I know many of you are options traders(first?) but i have an “on average” question for you all.

As part of my “missing out” statement above, do you find you do better trying to match a good premium above your purchase, maybe even letting yourself get called since money is money or putting a trailing stop $/% at the roughly equal premium?

I feel like in those situations where shit blows up the stop is better, but since i have zero ability to see that coming i am missing opportunity by not selling CC….yet on the flip side i sell a CC and while i didnt lose money, i get assigned when i could have sold for much more using the other method
I'll be honest.i use Fidelity options tool to backtest the options and look at the odds of assignment. Contrast that with the stock DMAs and either pull the trigger or pass and keep looking.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
You want a 2% gain per week so you can double your money every single year and you think you're a conservative investor?!????

What?

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
You want a 2% gain per week so you can double your money every single year and you think you're a conservative investor?!????

What?

What i want and what i get are different ;) and i am conservative(or consider myself so) in how i invest.

I try not to jump on bandwagons and shit. Ill look for “name brand”(i understand this is slightly subjective) comapnies that near the 50ish day dma but have a good history of upward swings and no terrible recent news. Pick some up and set a price towards the upswing.

If im lucky I hit it, if not, im holding it for about 1 month on average waiting for that upswing, during which i switch to selling a call on it at my original target on the upswing.

It does decently but i didnt start all of this until maybe feb of last year when covid hit and i started working from home. Before that i just bought X shares and held till i die essentially.

So far its been decent, but i also dont touch tech much and so i feel like i miss out on those huge winners sometimes like nvidia…wish i knew more.

The stuff i work on is Tyson, NOV, JCI, Boeing, i have delta because im brand loyal(only fly them), fqvlf, etc. i often do make my 2% but in fairness its rare i hit that weekly, thats just my goal. I def. hit it per month and then some though. I mean….its not too hard 2% of 1k is 20$. Swinging name brands makes that pretty simple.

Thats also why i love reading about what the biggers guys post. Does my strat beat market YoY? Id be happy to post my returns end of year as proof of my failure or success. Im here to learn just like everyone else

Side note: i picked a single coin and started weekly swinging that as well. Only coins swing much more. I put 100$ into Steller and copied my above strat with it. Started maybe a month ago and im up to over 350$ Already. Each week this thing moves 10%+. GenerLly speaking coins seem to hit a high on m-w and a low on sat night. Dont get greedy, miss out on ulta highs and ulta lows and follow that trend. Its making me want to jump in coins more to be honest.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Last year was not a normal year... by any stretch.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I knew I should have bought more nvidia. Any company that can sell 800 dollar video cards for 1200-1700 is a good company.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I knew I should have bought more nvidia. Any company that can sell 800 dollar video cards for 1200-1700 is a good company.
Fuck that noise. In a few weeks your shares will be worth 4x as much as they are today when they split. Why aren't you backing up the truck and mortgaging your house to buy more? its like a 400% insta-gain.

• 1Galaxy Brain

Rais

Trakanon Raider
lol

On a serious note I think they will be like Tesla after the split and gain 400 dollars a share over 2 months. Why? Clown World is why.

• 1Like