Investing General Discussion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I started reading The Intelligent Investor today. The first thing I see is that there are a lot of speculators here, but not many investors. And idk how many people here (myself included before TIV) know the difference.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have doubled my existing position in WMT this morning, LT hold. Quite happy with earnings report, realize the market just doesn't want to reward them at the moment. I'm patient.

• 1Like

Tinycoffin

Trakanon Raider

Attachments

• 34BD67F7-C781-4513-9651-DADA156BDBDA.jpeg
    34BD67F7-C781-4513-9651-DADA156BDBDA.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1Like
  • 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 users

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I started reading The Intelligent Investor today. The first thing I see is that there are a lot of speculators here, but not many investors. And idk how many people here (myself included before TIV) know the difference.
Mostly because we don't have a day trading thread and forums are typically a bad platform for it.

There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of people on foh that participate in the markets either so it is what it is.

This thread has a lot of info though, for all spectrums, with a lot of good suggestions on books and other literature but you have to dig for it.

When it comes to investing you dont really have much to talk about, so it gets washed in the daily gossip.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
swing or long?
Let's say long swing. Will not be a forever hold for me but I do want energy exposure in this environment. I had this one a few times in the 30s and I really kick myself for missing the big moves. I tend to avoid energy companies but MPC is cash rich and is buying back a lot of share. I will likely hold it as long as buybacks continue and we remain in an inflationary cycle.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I decided to put a stop loss on half my LCID shares at $50 which executed for a nice profit. Letting the rest ride for now.

• 1Tendies
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Man oh man boomers;

1637266636385.png

But if I thought options trading in the last episode of Unboxed was difficult, posting on WallStreetBets may have been even more of a challenge. I’ll concede that I’m a millennial with some baby boomer tendencies, but the Reddit crowd doesn’t make it easy.

Im not sure if this guy is saying hes a pussy and offended by the wsb crowd, or if hes retarded and doesnt understand how Reddit works.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Mostly because we don't have a day trading thread and forums are typically a bad platform for it.

There doesn't appear to be a whole lot of people on foh that participate in the markets either so it is what it is.

This thread has a lot of info though, for all spectrums, with a lot of good suggestions on books and other literature but you have to dig for it.

When it comes to investing you dont really have much to talk about, so it gets washed in the daily gossip.

it’s not a criticism, so if it came across that way that’s not how I meant it. I think the intelligent investor is just revealing and giving word to things that I wasn’t totally sure about, but sensed.

for example, there are prospectors who are basically gambling and then there are investors who are typically long holders shooting for the average.

because ultimately, it’s god-mode to try and beat the average. You may do it once, but the chances of you doing it again are so astronomically slim you’re kidding yourself to try and be that person. The average is the average.

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
it’s not a criticism, so if it came across that way that’s not how I meant it. I think the intelligent investor is just revealing and giving word to things that I wasn’t totally sure about, but sensed.

for example, there are prospectors who are basically gambling and then there are investors who are typically long holders shooting for the average.

because ultimately, it’s god-mode to try and beat the average. You may do it once, but the chances of you doing it again are so astronomically slim you’re kidding yourself to try and be that person. The average is the average.
Dunno what you're talking about, I'm SMOKING the average!
on the down side :beagling:

• 1Diamond Hands

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It's also interesting how it talks about those who don't remember history are doomed to repeat it, while also recognizing that knowing history doesn't give you the ability to predict the future, and that most of the people in the market are irrational anyways.

The way it paints a picture of markets almost reminds me of the chop in the ocean. It's easy to tell when a storm is coming, but it's nearly impossible to tell when, precisely, it will hit. I'll be interested to see where it goes. Buffet wrote the forward and he suggests that paying particular attention to chapters eight and twenty will pay dividends.