Investing General Discussion

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Look At That Season 4 GIF by Paramount+
Definitely not you, well at least anymore. I think your understanding last few years has come a long way. Your latest AMZN talk not withstanding :)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
But I don't think this is it for the sell off.

That's much harder to know versus something just being a buyable rally. I think the market is wrong about the extent of the Fed hawkish tilt, if so that may end up being the bottom. I do not believe we are going to head in a straight line back to the highs. Mentioned a few times I think we are going to enter volatile consolidation period. For me that is usually going to be quicker to pocket gains and reset more than I did during strong uptrend. We are going to have plenty of more red days this year. Will there be more nasdaq down 5% days?, markedly less likely.

20% down for the indexes is absolutely on the table. Day at a time...

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I've got a little cash left for index buys. I'm holding off for the time being until at least Wednesday to see what happens. If I missed today's dip it doesn't matter much in the long term, since that means it just goes back to last week's dip level where I bought a few things. If we're in for more of a drop due to the Fed and/or AAPL shitting the earnings report and heading to the cellar, then I'll add some there.

I gotta admit though, I'm starting to have dotcom crash flashbacks...

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Apple made 72.3b of apple app store profits in 2020. With the ruling apple can't force developers from linking to 3rd party payment sites and lowering its massive 30% cut to 15% for devs making under $1m in revenue, this tech giant is lacking innovation outside of putting more pixels on its phones year after year.

Paying small fortunes to keep talent as well as being squeezed for semi prices, im bearish on apples earnings this Thursday.

If you have a different perspective and see them growing let me know...

Lightning Fast
Oh, there's one other thing about this thread that I like, I call it the "Airline Pilot Effect". So, if you get on an airliner, you look at the pilot and think to yourself "Does this guy really know his stuff? I mean, if things really go wrong I'm dead, right?" and then you start to rethink if that redeye to Cleveland for a paycheck is really worth it. But then you realize that this pilot is up there with you. So, assuming he has the normal instinct of self-preservation he's not going to let you die because that also means he would die. It's for this reason that I don't think that auto-piloted only passenger flights will ever be a thing. The tech is already there to fully automate air travel, and has been for almost 20 yrs iirc, but who is going to get on a plane that is flown by a machine without a self-preservation instinct?

This thread is that way. As long as people are being honest about their moves that is, which I think they are. Put it like this, guys like Blazin, Sanrith, and Jysin might be wrong in their moves, but they're putting their own scratch on the line to make those moves, so you know if you're following them more or less that you'll all either prosper or starve together because those guys aren't trying to starve themselves. It's not just forum reputations that they are risking in the event they are wrong it's real $$$. It's for that reason that I mirror so many of the moves I see here.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
This thread is that way. As long as people are being honest about their moves that is, which I think they are. Put it like this, guys like Blazin, Sanrith, and Jysin might be wrong in their moves, but they're putting their own scratch on the line to make those moves, so you know if you're following them more or less that you'll all either prosper or starve together because those guys aren't trying to starve themselves. It's not just forum reputations that they are risking in the event they are wrong it's real $$$. It's for that reason that I mirror so many of the moves I see here.
Are they doing it with their entire portfolio though, or just play money?

From what everyone has said, they're mostly invested for the long haul in index funds, and this is all just for fun with maybe 5-10% at the most in trading.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Definitely not you, well at least anymore. I think your understanding last few years has come a long way. Your latest AMZN talk not withstanding :)
I have soured on AMZN. I think AWS is the key. If they lose the ability to promote/push their own products over others on the store they will be hurt significantly I believe.

Lightning Fast

From what everyone has said, they're mostly invested for the long haul in index funds, and this is all just for fun with maybe 5-10% at the most in trading.
Yes, and they have stated as much. Mirroring includes mirroring that aspect of things, proportionally.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh, there's one other thing about this thread that I like, I call it the "Airline Pilot Effect". So, if you get on an airliner, you look at the pilot and think to yourself "Does this guy really know his stuff? I mean, if things really go wrong I'm dead, right?" and then you start to rethink if that redeye to Cleveland for a paycheck is really worth it. But then you realize that this pilot is up there with you. So, assuming he has the normal instinct of self-preservation he's not going to let you die because that also means he would die. It's for this reason that I don't think that auto-piloted only passenger flights will ever be a thing. The tech is already there to fully automate air travel, and has been for almost 20 yrs iirc, but who is going to get on a plane that is flown by a machine without a self-preservation instinct?

I think the real key to this (and why we aren't just some newsletter) is because we post "why" we make the trades we do. And we leave it out there to be "peer reviewed" so to speak. It's not just "buy this because I said so". It's like the post above where I disagree with Blaz on AMZN. I might be wrong but I show why I have soured on the stock (right or wrong).

• 2Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

The Shining GIF

• 2Worf

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I'm so glad I took out most of my money.

SPXU is a real whore.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

No, this isn't paper or play money. I don't believe in play money. I earned the shit and I treat each dollar like I sweated for it (which I did). I manage my own portfolios, my mom's and my daughter's Minor account. When I say I am all in, it means as I showed I have less than 1k in my cash accounts. I even posted how I moved extra cash from the bank into my brokerage account this morning to try to grab some more FTEC but it didn't fall enough.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity