Investing General Discussion

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
U of Illinois also has an online masters in accountancy for people without accounting bachelors and for $20k. They also have a cheapish MBA.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Second the dont' bother with Masters of Accountancy - just get what you need to be eligible to sit the CPA once you have that no one cares - I finished my requirements off with table tennis and golf classes lol.

Also back to the think about where the decisions set you up for 5+ years from now and without knowing your circumstances I'm a huge advocate for heading into accounting. I basically played poker for a living for ~10years and then ended up going back to school for accounting, and within the first 6 years of graduating my salary has grown 2.5x starting already. It very much turned me around from someone with no real retirement or long term financial plans 10 years ago into someone that's set up for success with a clear path ahead of me now.

If you want to discuss more/specifics feel free to PM me.

• 2Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have a bachelor's in History - oof.

I got into accounting offices after spending a hellish year at a call center. Turns out people who can't pay their car bills don't want to talk about it.

The price tags you guys are mentioning are great. Umass Isenberg School of MGMT has a steep cost at 35k or so for the program. SNHU has one at around 22k. Both online and accelerated.

Any idea on if GREs are required for the Texas options? If they are exempt that sounds like the path. Stupid GRE stumped me when I got out of school (which ended up being a good thing so I didn't get a worthless Masters.)
WGU another viable option

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have a bachelor's in History - oof.

I got into accounting offices after spending a hellish year at a call center. Turns out people who can't pay their car bills don't want to talk about it.

The price tags you guys are mentioning are great. Umass Isenberg School of MGMT has a steep cost at 35k or so for the program. SNHU has one at around 22k. Both online and accelerated.

Any idea on if GREs are required for the Texas options? If they are exempt that sounds like the path. Stupid GRE stumped me when I got out of school (which ended up being a good thing so I didn't get a worthless Masters.)
Here is the link. They waived my GRE since I already had another Master's degree. As with all things its negotiable. It was a solid program. For the cost it was stellar.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Second the dont' bother with Masters of Accountancy - just get what you need to be eligible to sit the CPA once you have that no one cares - I finished my requirements off with table tennis and golf classes lol.

Also back to the think about where the decisions set you up for 5+ years from now and without knowing your circumstances I'm a huge advocate for heading into accounting. I basically played poker for a living for ~10years and then ended up going back to school for accounting, and within the first 6 years of graduating my salary has grown 2.5x starting already. It very much turned me around from someone with no real retirement or long term financial plans 10 years ago into someone that's set up for success with a clear path ahead of me now.

If you want to discuss more/specifics feel free to PM me.
My wife is a CPA/MBA and went out on her own about two years ago doing bookkeeping/accounting (and tax during the season only). 70k year one and 90k year two. Even though she took a pay cut to start working for yourself is priceless and she is looking for another 25% increase this year. The world will always need accountants.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Masters in accountancy is good when you dont have the classes required to sit for CPA. If you have a bachelors in accounting then such a masters is obviously a waste of time because the class requirements have already been met.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Masters in accountancy is good when you dont have the classes required to sit for CPA. If you have a bachelors in accounting then such a masters is obviously a waste of time because the class requirements have already been met.
Youre Wrong Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Depends on the state I believe. Some require 30 credits of graduate accounting classes. Some require less, most require 1000 hours of audit experience. Or or just go take the CPA in Delaware or Maryland (forget which) and it has basically no requirements whatsoever.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Youre Wrong Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Depends on the state I believe. Some require 30 credits of graduate accounting classes. Some require less, most require 1000 hours of audit experience. Or or just go take the CPA in Delaware or Maryland (forget which) and it has basically no requirements whatsoever.
I was thinking more about business and basic accounting classes required. I only know about NY requirements but I assume other states are similar.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was thinking more about business and basic accounting classes required. I only know about NY requirements but I assume other states are similar.
A Master of Tax might not be a bad idea for those who like tax, or Masters of Forensic Accounting. But a plain Jane Master of Accounting is meh if you have the BBA.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
A Master of Tax might not be a bad idea for those who like tax, or Masters of Forensic Accounting. But a plain Jane Master of Accounting is meh if you have the BBA.
Yes.

I have a friend who I tried talking out of doing a masters in accountancy. She has a bachelors in accounting. She didnt listen. Bless her heart.

• 1Worf

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yes.

I have a friend who I tried talking out of doing a masters in accountancy. She has a bachelors in accounting. She didnt listen. Bless her heart.
I kicked around the idea of grabbing a Masters of Tax and then figured I could just get my Enrolled Agent status and do everything my wife can do except audit (which she doesnt do anymore).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I gotta admit its understandable why the sheep hate this shit.

1648673988808.png

Even more annoying when you realize the feds are about to throw a huge pile of money at the retards at Intel;

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

I gotta admit its understandable why the sheep hate this shit.

View attachment 405905

Even more annoying when you realize the feds are about to throw a huge pile of money at the retards at Intel;

I am always perplexed by the CEO pay hate. The CEO compensation is decided by the board. The board is selected by the owners. This means the owners set the CEO pay. And it's the owners who should set the pay. While I don't agree with crazy CEO pay and always vote my shares (not that my votes matter), it's no one's business besides the shareholders. Non-shareholders and politicians ranting about it can blow me. Especially politicians.

• 1Solidarity

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Even Cramer keeps all his personal wealth in indexes.

View attachment 405873

My rule starting in 2022 was acknowledge my deep seeded retardation so 50% goes into total market and 25% into s&p indexes and these are no never ever sell. 20% can go into indexes that are a little more sector targeted depending (energy for example, up 30% since I bought in) and I can trim on booms and shift a little every year. The last 5% I can buy whatever (but still gonna be conservative, like i've got it in some goog, f and hd right now).

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am always perplexed by the CEO pay hate. The CEO compensation is decided by the board. The board is selected by the owners. This means the owners set the CEO pay. And it's the owners who should set the pay. While I don't agree with crazy CEO pay and always vote my shares (not that my votes matter), it's no one's business besides the shareholders. Non-shareholders and politicians ranting about it can blow me. Especially politicians.
It's actually just a game theory problem. No board wants to pay their CEO below the average for a company with a similar book value, EBITDA, etc. So they all shoot above the average, thinking that will incentive better performance in the future, or reward good performance if the last few years were good, etc. So if everyone is trying to pay above average, the average keeps creeping up.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My rule starting in 2022 was acknowledge my deep seeded retardation so 50% goes into total market and 25% into s&p indexes and these are no never ever sell. 20% can go into indexes that are a little more sector targeted depending (energy for example, up 30% since I bought in) and I can trim on booms and shift a little every year. The last 5% I can buy whatever (but still gonna be conservative, like i've got it in some goog, f and hd right now).
Sounds like a workable plan.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
From a business/financial perspective sure, if shareholders wanna be dumb and dilute their shares by handsomely rewarding the csuite who cares their choice.

The thing I find ever more annoying imo is these people are becoming more and more political running their mouths using their position as CEO of globohomo whatever as if theyre a voice of authority on the latest hot button issue, they use their companies to push the latest issue(see Disney or prosports) all while in a lot of cases screwing over the tax payers enjoying idiotic subsidies and in worst cases being failures like Marissa Meyer or Intel's last CEO, ousted because he was too busy fucking subordinates instead of running his company.

Not enough Lisa Sus.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
From a business/financial perspective sure, if shareholders wanna be dumb and dilute their shares by handsomely rewarding the csuite who cares their choice.

The thing I find ever more annoying imo is these people are becoming more and more political running their mouths using their position as CEO of globohomo whatever as if theyre a voice of authority on the latest hot button issue, they use their companies to push the latest issue(see Disney or prosports) all while in a lot of cases screwing over the tax payers enjoying idiotic subsidies and in worst cases being failures like Marissa Meyer or Intel's last CEO, ousted because he was too busy fucking subordinates instead of running his company.

Not enough Lisa Sus.
Yeah in this I am in full agreement. Shit your mouth and make me money. Globohomo don't make me more money.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not even a drop in the bucket. I'm sure someone there knows exactly how much favorability gain they get per penny of gas price drop. Or per barrel of oil released from the reserves.