Investing General Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Man, this shit is getting tiresome.

I know we're not supposed to get political, but our country is such a fucking shit show right now. Like, read about 1973 and how fucked everything was between inflation, the gas crisis, and GDP. And then keep in mind that they had interest rates to somewhat fall back on. We've got nothing. It's all dog shit.

People really should be taking it out on the politicians and elites with violence but instead we're just getting boiled...quickly?
People wanted a crash and a recession to bring down inflation, and you're still not happy!

Gas is still cheaper than it was during most of Bush's second term, adjusted for inflation.
GDP is fine.
Job market is great.
The rest of the world is way more fucked than we are.

Most of this downturn in the wider market is probably an overreaction, but a bunch of these tech stocks were just overhyped and way overvalued due to everyone being way too online for 2 years. Robinhood and bitcoins and apes and slurp juices are obvious warning signs that there was too much money chasing too not enough shit with actual value.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Imbecile
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 4 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
People wanted a crash and a recession to bring down inflation, and you're still not happy!

Gas is still cheaper than it was during most of Bush's second term, adjusted for inflation.
GDP is fine.
Job market is great.

Most of this downturn in the wider market is probably an overreaction, but a bunch of these tech stocks were just overhyped and way overvalued due to everyone being way too online for 2 years. Robinhood and bitcoins and apes and slurp juices are obvious warning signs that there was too much money chasing too not enough shit with actual value.

HAY GUIS, IF U JUST ADJUST 4 INFL4T1ON WE R DOIN GR8!

BTTR THAN BOOSH!

mp,840x830,matte,f8f8f8,t-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

GDP is fine.
Job market is great.

Negative GDP, highest gas prices in history, low workforce participation, but I should be happy because it could be as bad as other countries?

I didn't want a stock market crash and recession to deal with inflation, I wanted the government to stop spending insane amounts of money so we wouldn't have inflation to begin with.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, Mist can't even comprehend why people wanted the bubble to pop in the first place.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
The old school definition of inflation was too many dollars chaing too few products.
Let's print trillions of dollars and put them into the economy at a time supply line issues are limiting some products.
What inflation? I think we covered that in the 6th grade in the 80s.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If it brightens your day, just think of all the idiots who put their student loan payments into the market for "making some money during the freeze" who thought they'd pop it out +15%

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Negative GDP, highest gas prices in history, low workforce participation, but I should be happy because it could be as bad as other countries?

I didn't want a stock market crash and recession to deal with inflation, I wanted the government to stop spending insane amounts of money so we wouldn't have inflation to begin with.
People were totally okay with the government spending insane amount of money and the president pressuring the Fed to keep interest rates near zero for the entirety of the previous presidency, pre-COVID.

• 1Picard
  • 1Pants on Fire!
  • 1Potato
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If it brightens your day, just think of all the idiots who put their student loan payments into the market for "making some money during the freeze" who thought they'd pop it out +15%

I'm predicting massive demand shock and an end to all the zoomers having leftover money every month to throw at the market as soon as they have to start repaying their college loans.

Kids are probably going to cash in their crypto to pay rent and make loan payments too.
You mean the phenomenon I called out 6 months ago?

Shit can go a lot lower still.

• 1EyeRoll

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>

But my house should be done in next month or so and I can get this market turned around for you guys.
Would be great if you could give us an exact day of your return. Would be pretty clutch to perfectly time the bottom.

• 1Solidarity

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, I bought low. Bought more low on margin. Never sold when it was high, and now its all low again. Yes the margin was a mistake and yes not selling for profits was a mistake.
I'm curious what your exit plan was, or did you expect the market to go up indefinitely?

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
People were totally okay with the government spending insane amount of money and the president pressuring the Fed to keep interest rates near zero for the entirety of the previous presidency, pre-COVID.
Bullshit. You can go back in the Politics thread when Trump signed both omnibus bills and find tons of posts of people who like Trump but hated the decision.

I'm also not sure of anyone who's said interest rates near zero when the economy was booming was smart. I think the consensus was it'd come back to bite us in the ass when we didn't have any wiggle room.

• 2Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's funny when this thread goes off on political tangents as if it matters who is president when it comes to Wall Street.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
I bought 150k of index funds today and another 450k later this week.

Only people that jump off roller coasters get hurt.

Timing the market is foolish and the market will always go up long term, esp in an unhealthy economy.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers