Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keep an eye on XBI (oversold biotech ETF). Or LABU if youre feeling frisky (3x levered).

XBI has shown strength on recent market pullbacks. Markets will eventually remember biotech stocks aren't just about Covid. Definitely seeing some strength and inflows back into the sector.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yo who thinks we can turn this into a meme stock and make a shitload of fucking money?

1659743065387.png

1659743147078.png

They even have their own cringey rap meme which they tried to scrub from the internet but some business partners apparently still have it hosted:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yo who thinks we can turn this into a meme stock and make a shitload of fucking money?

View attachment 426466
View attachment 426467

They even have their own cringey rap meme which they tried to scrub from the internet but some business partners apparently still have it hosted:

Christ. Lucent at one time was a powerhouse. How the mighty have fallen.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
lol don't even have to go back that far. It's fallen 97% in the past 5.5 months.

If it rebounded even a little of that it would be a massive gain.
Lucent market cap in Dec 1999 was $285b

Edit: i got Alcatel and Avaya mixed up. Avaya was spun off of Lucent. Alcatel was merged with Lucent.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Lucent market cap in Dec 1999 was $285b

Wdit: i got Alcatel and Avaya mixed up. Avaya was spun off of Lucent. Alcatel was merged with Lucent.
At the current price, Avaya's current market cap is less than the book value of its larger business partners. One of its business partners could likely take out a loan and acquire the whole company (if they could find a way to deal with the 3billion in debt...)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
At the current price, Avaya's current market cap is less than the book value of its larger business partners. One of its business partners could likely take out a loan and acquire the whole company (if they could find a way to deal with the 3billion in debt...)
ryan reynolds hd GIF

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm just saying, if the stock recovered to even 5 dollars you could make lifechanging amounts of money. They wouldn't have brought in a ringer of a CEO if they were expecting to just close the doors. If we could convince reddit or one of the WSB discords that this was a good idea, it could be insane.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Mist does have at least one good point. A good CEO changes the game when it comes to returns to investors. One of my favorite investment-ish books is:

Question being, is he that good of a CEO?

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Thought some here may find this noteworthy. I've independently confirmed 0% of this claim. Seeing weird stuff about today though so /shrug

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Thought some here may find this noteworthy. I've independently confirmed 0% of this claim. Seeing weird stuff about today though so /shrug

With people like this, you always have to line up sales with their stock options being exercised. Not saying its the case here.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Missed on earnings but beat on revenue. Revenue up 26% yoy and more importantly commercial revenue grew 46%.
EPS was -1c and expected was +3c
Rev was $473m vs $471m
Commercial customer count increased 250% year over year, growing from 34 customers to 119.
CFO David Glazer told CNBC the company’s miss was due to a decline in investments and marketable securities. They have invested in a number of SPACS and that market weakness is reflected in earnings being down. Overall they are guiding $1.9b in 2022 revenue.

I actually like what I am seeing. The EPS miss doesn't faze me at all. I will now be looking to add to my position (selling puts) on the next major market move downward.

• 1Like