Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
1668181515447.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Insanity. I have put options to buy to close. I am the only buyer at the bid. Contracts are being bought at the ask (above my bid) on another exchange. Im guessing these are people using a market orders instead of limit orders and getting fucked? Meanwhile my orders go unfilled.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
slight derail

a friend just got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, bile duct. there's like a 10% chance to live 5 years. she's 50, single mom and has an 11 year old daughter. she has about $400k across savings and retirement accounts. Her x is the adoptive parent of her daughter. they needed a doner to conceive, 50/50 custody.

i haven't looked into a living trust vs will much and not really sure where to start. Going blind will probably get a bunch of low-rent lawyers wanting to sell her some sort of policy that not be in her best interest. Is it possible to setup a trust where the daughter can draw up to a certain % of the account every year for education/healthcare and the adoptive parent be the executor to submit those requests? then at say 18 or 25, let the kid take over and draw a certain % yearly? her concern is if she leaves it to the X, the X will have good intent but probably not spend it fully on the kid and the kid will have nothing left by the time she's 18.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
META working on 5 green candles out of the last 6 sessions. +30% since hitting rock bottom a could weeks ago.

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My MA position is back in greenland. Patience is a virtue. Big tech share buybacks gonna be running to the end of the year.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
a friend just got diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, bile duct. there's like a 10% chance to live 5 years. she's 50

No advice beyond "Talk to a good lawyer", but good luck to her. Billiary cancer is what killed my mom at 53. If your friend wants some contact info I could put her in touch with one of the leading hepato-billiary surgeons who treated my mom. For all that it didn't work, he was amazing (currently in San Diego).

Last edited:

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
thanks. she's working w/ a great team in Dallas. they used the DaVinci machine to remove her first mass.

to keep it investing related, her X bought her out of their home right at the peak and she's just left that in a saving account w/ her broker. she's likely the only one up on the year that I know lol

• 1Tendies

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Speaking of which, aside from twitter, does anyone know a website for market news that actually updates on time?

I was using marketwatch for economic calendar stuff cause I'm lazy and it shows up high on Google results so I clicked it. But those motherfuckers are always some random 10-30 minutes behind on announcing stuff like this.

That kind of delay is obviously not a real problem for the kind of investing I do but its still frustrating.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking of which, aside from twitter, does anyone know a website for market news that actually updates on time?

I was using marketwatch for economic calendar stuff cause I'm lazy and it shows up high on Google results so I clicked it. But those motherfuckers are always some random 10-30 minutes behind on announcing stuff like this.
Twitter is number one because of the Fintwit community. I also use Yahoo Finance. If you hate Twitter then maybe just configure the account to only follow a few dozen financial accounts and ignore the rest of the cesspool.

• 1Like