Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
View attachment 444111

Dave Chappelle Im Rich Bitch GIF
So what I am finding interesting is the various indicators. The insane divergence from technical indicator to analyst indicator is a laugh. Almost every stock I check is a "technical = Sell" and "Analyst = Buy or Strong Buy"

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I honestly dont give any thought to "analysts". But yes, I see what you mean. Likely some technical indicators just showing below all MAs and "bearish" of some degree.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I honestly dont give any thought to "analysts". But yes, I see what you mean. Likely some technical indicators just showing below all MAs and "bearish" of some degree.
Im just sorta playing with it for now and exploring

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
Hmm, SPY was almost a straight slope up today, kinda unusual. Hopefully it can break through to 4100 or even 4150... but eh.

Blazin Blazin any thoughts on market conditions lately? The prognosticators I've been reading are anticipating a big drop in the market after the 1st of Dec or thereabouts. Like down to 3200 levels.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Hmm, SPY was almost a straight slope up today, kinda unusual. Hopefully it can break through to 4100 or even 4150... but eh.

Blazin Blazin any thoughts on market conditions lately? The prognosticators I've been reading are anticipating a big drop in the market after the 1st of Dec or thereabouts. Like down to 3200 levels.

Jonah Hill Ok GIF

Lightning Fast
There are always people calling doom and gloom. That being said, are we headed down 20% from here? Seems like a stretch to me. VIX is down around 22/23.
Well I didn't think we were heading this far down after the rebound in August, more like the levels from earlier in the year, but down it went.

So maybe not quite to 3200, but 3400? Still a significant drop off rather than a continued uptrend, is the point.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I didn't think we were heading this far down after the rebound in August, more like the levels from earlier in the year, but down it went.

So maybe not quite to 3200, but 3400? Still a significant drop off rather than a continued uptrend, is the point.
Truth is... no one truly knows.

• 1Jonesing

Lightning Fast
lol, I keep making my little adds and selling my puts and covered calls. There is money to be made in every market. Just gotta find it.
Jokes aside, my fear is a duplicate of that August setup. I was reading a lot of the same things about what the market was going to do back then, but I missed the window on when to sell > switch to short positions. If I had done what my instincts were telling me to do but I was too hesitant/fearful to do I would have doubled my money by the time it bottomed again in Sept/Oct.

I mean, long term it may be much ado about nothing due to the 'markets always recover' on a long enough timeline, but still.

Tirant

Golden Knight of the Realm
Next time you’re going to do what you should’ve done last time, but next time will be different so you should do next time what what you did last time, when you shouldn’t have done it then.

• 2Like
  • 1Genius!
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Jokes aside, my fear is a duplicate of that August setup. I was reading a lot of the same things about what the market was going to do back then, but I missed the window on when to sell > switch to short positions. If I had done what my instincts were telling me to do but I was too hesitant/fearful to do I would have doubled my money by the time it bottomed again in Sept/Oct.

I mean, long term it may be much ado about nothing due to the 'markets always recover' on a long enough timeline, but still.
I see your point. My feeling is that is basically market timing and I dont see timing as a viable strategy. Yes if you are right AND have it timed right you can win big. But you need both components. Burry was early and then fucked by the banks dragging it out until they could get out and it nearly buried him. He almost wasnt solvent enough to win even though he was 100% right.

I look at my portfolio and my current holdings are down 8% in total from cost basis. To me, guessing about an imminent reversal and selling now just doesnt work in the risk/reward thing for me. It might for others.

That being said, i do look at my AAPL and MSFT holdings which are deep green still and I am very overweight and think about zeroing both of those out for profits and buying back in the next crash. But i also know if we rallied instead I end up caught flatfooted and stuck trying to find a renetry on the movement up and then hoping it doesnt headfake back down after I buy.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Facts are never disingenuous. They are facts. I dont give a shit about Iger and I dumped my DIS a while back. Those stock numbers are what they are. Your statement that the numbers of based on the MCU somehow tries to belie the fact that Iger green lit the MCU and Lucas deals. Chapek has been shit for the share price. Doesnt matter what he did or did not do. He was the CEO. They brought back the guy who generated the best stock price appreciation in the history of the company. From a shareholder perspective this is the right move.

I know this is a day late, and I understand why you could argue that this move should be viewed from the eyes of Disney's board and that they are the ones that thought Chapek was the weight dragging them down, but that means those ultra-savvy business people on the board are fucking myopic. Iger caused the problems and Chapek was trying to clean them up. Critical Drinker nails it and you can expect them to go to new lows with Iger.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I know this is a day late, and I understand why you could argue that this move should be viewed from the eyes of Disney's board and that they are the ones that thought Chapek was the weight dragging them down, but that means those ultra-savvy business people on the board are fucking myopic. Iger caused the problems and Chapek was trying to clean them up. Critical Drinker nails it and you can expect them to go to new lows with Iger.

Exactly. Who kept renewing and strengthening Kathleen Kennedy's position over and over? The fact that woman wasnt let go after the very subpar performance of TLJ/RoS should be a red flag.

Seems like Iger's winning move was buying Marvel and shitting out a bunch of movies/toys. Second winning move was quitting when corona hit.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Honestly, DIS is dead to me. What it does, it does. I made my opinion based on how the stock fared under Iger. Not because I considered buying it.

• 1Like