Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you believe in voodoo..

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Short session today combined with light volume and weekly options expiry. I dont expect anything that happens today to matter in the bigger picture but that being said could see some oddities occur.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
Amazon took a bit of a hit today due to this strike today. May buy some cheap calls for next month.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Closed out my PLTR puts for a nickle. In this market scalping far out of the money puts is like

The Walking Dead Easy Peasy GIF

• 1Tendies
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
File this under data that may interest no one. I like earnings. Specifically positive earnings. When you look at EPS, the varying share prices can skew the numbers you are comparing. Look at GOOGL and AMZN post 20:1 split. GOOGL EPS went from over 100 to 5. Now if you owned it, its ok because you got 20x the shares. But what if you didnt own it yet and are looking at stocks to buy? EPS is good, but it takes some mental calculus when looking at NOC at $528 a share vs T at $19 a share. Yes a share is a share, but your dollars buy X number of shares based on the price and buying shares is about buying earnings. So I sat down this morning and put a formula in excel to normalize EPS to a share price of $100. This tells you if you invest $100 in a stock, how much earnings are you buying. This allows you to examine multiple stocks' earnings on a level field for investment purposes.

i took some stocks I own/watch and then added some across a number of sectors. The obvious variable not included is revenue growth. Old value stocks tend to dominate this chart because they are basically out of revenue growth. You get what you get. This also showed me some stocks with growth still in their future are surprisingly strong in earnings also. META is the biggest example of this. Does this mean META is underpriced by the market relative to its earnings? Maybe. Are AMZN and TSLA overpriced relative to earnings? Maybe. I think my next step will examine PEG rations and revenue growth in general.

1669392946792.png

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

"The sharp uptick comes as the average credit card interest rate for retail cards – which typically carry higher interest rates than regular cards – hit a high of 26.60%, up from 25.27% a year ago. According to LendingTree, it also comes as more and more retail giants are upping their store card interest rates past 30%."

30 fucking percent interest.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Clown World
Reactions: 4 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
File this under data that may interest no one. I like earnings. Specifically positive earnings. When you look at EPS, the varying share prices can skew the numbers you are comparing. Look at GOOGL and AMZN post 20:1 split. GOOGL EPS went from over 100 to 5. Now if you owned it, its ok because you got 20x the shares. But what if you didnt own it yet and are looking at stocks to buy? EPS is good, but it takes some mental calculus when looking at NOC at $528 a share vs T at $19 a share. Yes a share is a share, but your dollars buy X number of shares based on the price and buying shares is about buying earnings. So I sat down this morning and put a formula in excel to normalize EPS to a share price of $100. This tells you if you invest $100 in a stock, how much earnings are you buying. This allows you to examine multiple stocks' earnings on a level field for investment purposes.

i took some stocks I own/watch and then added some across a number of sectors. The obvious variable not included is revenue growth. Old value stocks tend to dominate this chart because they are basically out of revenue growth. You get what you get. This also showed me some stocks with growth still in their future are surprisingly strong in earnings also. META is the biggest example of this. Does this mean META is underpriced by the market relative to its earnings? Maybe. Are AMZN and TSLA overpriced relative to earnings? Maybe. I think my next step will examine PEG rations and revenue growth in general.

View attachment 444596
You used trailing earnings? You aren’t buying the earnings that have already happened

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
You used trailing earnings? You aren’t buying the earnings that have already happened
I know. I was bored and playing with numbers and trailing EPS was the number sitting on the quote. Now that i have this i will plug in forward.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

"The sharp uptick comes as the average credit card interest rate for retail cards – which typically carry higher interest rates than regular cards – hit a high of 26.60%, up from 25.27% a year ago. According to LendingTree, it also comes as more and more retail giants are upping their store card interest rates past 30%."

30 fucking percent interest.
Gotta have those fancy Christmas presents yo. If you don't buy your wife a new car with a big bow on top every Christmas how can you look the husband in the commercials in the eye?

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I use a lot of those positions to build out portfolios and appreciate the simplified view with the $100 application. Peg would be awesome

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
For those discounting the 'market to 3200' predictions, allow me to add some new evidence to support that prediction:

Janet Powell speaks on Wednesday.