Investing General Discussion

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Surprised ABBV is up on that reduced guidance.

1675955514006.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Put an order in to trim some AAPL at $155.25. With FTEC as my index, trimming AAPL outside of the index is a requirement to keep the portfolio weight in check.

edit: missed by 3 cents.
Is there a tool on Fidelity that goes through your ETFs and Mutual Funds to check for things like this? Because I just realized that the composition of FSLEX changed a lot, and now I'm likely overweight on Microsoft, which is fine right now but maybe not long term.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Is there a tool on Fidelity that goes through your ETFs and Mutual Funds to check for things like this? Because I just realized that the composition of FSLEX changed a lot, and now I'm likely overweight on Microsoft, which is fine right now but maybe not long term.
I discussed tracking your portfolio weights a couple times in the thread. You can search for them. Simplest way is using excel.

example: if SPY is 5.25% weight for AAPL then a formula of (total value of SPY * 0.0525) will give you your SPY weight of AAPL. Then you add that value to your AAPL shares outside the SPY and viola, your total investment in AAPL which you divide by total portfolio dollars. If you own multiple indexes with AAPL you just do them all and add.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I discussed tracking your portfolio weights a couple times in the thread. You can search for them. Simplest way is using excel.

example: if SPY is 5.25% weight for AAPL then a formula of (total value of SPY * 0.0525) will give you your SPY weight of AAPL. Then you add that value to your AAPL shares outside the SPY and viola, your total investment in AAPL which you divide by total portfolio dollars. If you own multiple indexes with AAPL you just do them all and add.
I already have 1 job sir

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I already have 1 job sir
Sounds like a personal problem.

What I just described took me about 30 seconds to set up in Excel for my entire portfolio. Once you write the formulas it self updates as you update your values. Once a quarter I go into the basket of holdings and make any formula adjustments for weight changes in the baskets.

If you dont know how to use Excel, then you should go learn it. It was AI before AI became cool.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Don't the portfolio compositions change all the time?
Yes, but there is diminishing cost/benefit on the frequency of updating your diversification. Quarterly is more than enough for a long-term investor.

• 1Solidarity

Molten Core Raider
GOOGL

First gap down on the daily almost filled! (if you are a gap fill cultist!)

Attachments

• google.jpg
    google.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
GOOGL still tanking. Going to scoop some up.
Its a good support level and "should" find some love here. Of course, the low 80's could also come at you really fast if it doesnt. I wouldnt take a big bite. A quarter position here would be a good starter. A half position at most.

1675961500875.png

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should hire a financial planner. That’s why I have. Max returns and on cruise control.
I'm more than cable of losing my own money rather than paying someone else to lose it for me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 2 users