Investing General Discussion

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
AMD has an earnings call tomorrow. They had a lot of positive news over past few weeks including stock price targets being raised from $150 to $215 and it moved to $175 in past week on that news alone. I think they will beat the estimates based on all the positive news they have had in Q4 2023 as well. Once the earnings are announced, I think stock will go past $200+.

Hoping for a 10%+ gain this week. At worst, it will just stay flat. However, its already up in pre-market today.

I bought a bunch. Just gonna chill on it this week and sell it off once it starts slowing down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're citing analyst upgrades as some kind of tea leaves for an earnings beat? Analysts are absolutely worthless.

You're far smarter than that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
You're citing analyst upgrades as some kind of tea leaves for an earnings beat? Analysts are absolutely worthless.

You're far smarter than that.

Completely agree, but they help move the stock price regardless because not everyone is as smart as you and me.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yesterday my neighbor (who's around 70) was talking to me and asked me if we were in the stock market (he knows we're retired, so I dunno what he thinks).

Anyway, he starts talking about his investments and how he's with Blackrock. The first thing he brought up were some class A shares he has. He acknowledged that he had to pay a fee upfront for them. His issue is that the charts for the fund are wonky, with one saying it's been negative for the last 5 years and the other positive. But he said it's earned 11% total. In the last 15 years.

Then he mentioned he's in some tech fund which is way better and has earned like 80% over those same 15 years.

I just stared at him like what the fuck? Pretty sure the broad market is up somewhere between 3-400% in that time period.

If you want to know what the average investor is, that's him. Getting raped on fees and maybe earning 2-3% a year on a good year.

• 4Like
  • 4Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yesterday my neighbor (who's around 70) was talking to me and asked me if we were in the stock market (he knows we're retired, so I dunno what he thinks).

Anyway, he starts talking about his investments and how he's with Blackrock. The first thing he brought up were some class A shares he has. He acknowledged that he had to pay a fee upfront for them. His issue is that the charts for the fund are wonky, with one saying it's been negative for the last 5 years and the other positive. But he said it's earned 11% total. In the last 15 years.

Then he mentioned he's in some tech fund which is way better and has earned like 80% over those same 15 years.

I just stared at him like what the fuck? Pretty sure the broad market is up somewhere between 3-400% in that time period.

If you want to know what the average investor is, that's him. Getting raped on fees and maybe earning 2-3% a year on a good year.

Foler Foler internalize this

• 2Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
SoFi stock is a day trader's dream.

Every time it goes below 7 buy, sell anytime it goes above 9 lol.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Hell of a day. My IXUS and FSMAX positions are in the green. Added a few shares of QQQM.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Another beautiful week to make money fellas.

RIP evergrande

TLDR: tech earnings coming up. Tech is overinflated with middle management empire builders.

I can attest to seeing this first hand. Middle managers spawning supervisors below them and continuously needing to improve processes which inevitably means hiring more underlings...

The company I work at just did a sweep or reorganization and did away with an entire swath of middle managers towards the end of last year. And not unsurprisingly, we're still getting just as much work done. I'm in a sales organization so they also had the drive of wanting to reduce the number of mouths being fed on commissions on every closed deal.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I can attest to seeing this first hand. Middle managers spawning supervisors below them and continuously needing to improve processes which inevitably means hiring more underlings...

The company I work at just did a sweep or reorganization and did away with an entire swath of middle managers towards the end of last year. And not unsurprisingly, we're still getting just as much work done. I'm in a sales organization so they also had the drive of wanting to reduce the number of mouths being fed on commissions on every closed deal.
Steve is talking about every big tech company now days.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Steve is talking about every big tech company now days.
This is close, but in the current post-dot-com-boom era the dance looks more like this.. (saying this from having watched multiple startups go through this cycle)
  1. Brilliant people come up with a brilliant product
  2. They hire enough sales people with enough sense to build a business model around the product
  3. They get venture capital funding to make it happen
  4. If they're lucky, they hit it big.
  5. If they avoid the temptation (or VC driven push to sell) they don't sell out to another company and become a real player.
  6. They reach "market leader" status.
  7. Revenue growth stops being as large each Year over Year, they're reaching the top of the bell curve.
  8. VC (now functionally "the board" along with hopefully the original founders) need to find a way to get revenue to keep growing at the same rate.
  9. If you can't keep innovating forever and you still have to grow your bottom line you do it one of two ways, increase raw sales, or reduce costs.
  10. Who can you hire to accomplish those things? "Pure" sales executive management, and "Pure" bean counters.
  11. VC/Board replace founders in CEO/COO type positions with "Proven business leaders" and "Proven Sales Leaders"
  12. Profit displaces innovation as the primary motivator....
  13. The original geniuses who have made their insane money at this point fade from leadership into roles like "Chief Technical Officer", "Chief Product Evangelist", Etc... and the real power goes to the CEO, COO, Chief Revenue Officer, and sales teams.
  14. The really brilliant people eventually realize they sold their baby to the devil...
  15. Really brilliant technical people then leave, and go try to do it again.
  16. Leaving nothing but number crunchers and revenue business heads.
  17. Company continues to grow for a while, because of squeezing of every penny/etc....
  18. Eventually company stagnates and fades.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
This is close, but in the current post-dot-com-boom era the dance looks more like this.. (saying this from having watched multiple startups go through this cycle)
  1. Brilliant people come up with a brilliant product
  2. They hire enough sales people with enough sense to build a business model around the product
  3. They get venture capital funding to make it happen
  4. If they're lucky, they hit it big.
  5. If they avoid the temptation (or VC driven push to sell) they don't sell out to another company and become a real player.
  6. They reach "market leader" status.
  7. Revenue growth stops being as large each Year over Year, they're reaching the top of the bell curve.
  8. VC (now functionally "the board" along with hopefully the original founders) need to find a way to get revenue to keep growing at the same rate.
  9. If you can't keep innovating forever and you still have to grow your bottom line you do it one of two ways, increase raw sales, or reduce costs.
  10. Who can you hire to accomplish those things? "Pure" sales executive management, and "Pure" bean counters.
  11. VC/Board replace founders in CEO/COO type positions with "Proven business leaders" and "Proven Sales Leaders"
  12. Profit displaces innovation as the primary motivator....
  13. The original geniuses who have made their insane money at this point fade from leadership into roles like "Chief Technical Officer", "Chief Product Evangelist", Etc... and the real power goes to the CEO, COO, Chief Revenue Officer, and sales teams.
  14. The really brilliant people eventually realize they sold their baby to the devil...
  15. Really brilliant technical people then leave, and go try to do it again.
  16. Leaving nothing but number crunchers and revenue business heads.
  17. Company continues to grow for a while, because of squeezing of every penny/etc....
  18. Eventually company stagnates and fades.
I can’t speak from a startup perspective. I’m sitting here in FAANG watching dudes build empires of dust.

• 1EyeRoll

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
MSFT, AMD, GOOGL earnings today after market close

1706622916249.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Ran a 2 minute play on RVSN this morning, made some pocket change and bounced out.

Gonna wait for AMD earnings call and see how retarded I am.

1706625670989.png

• 2Tendies

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I have no data on it but I feel like tractor supply is a value company. They keep popping up everywhere. I do quite a bit of shopping there now. Love em