Investing General Discussion

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
All my investment advice is rock solid except for the stuff that is terrible.
The good life. Passive investment seems pretty good to me though. I haven't sold anything in almost 3 years. "Unrealized Laughter"

View attachment 514614

Why wake up at 4 am to study markets and try to make money every day? Seems like a lot of wasted effort
Every trade I make just loses me money vs holding historically so I wish I followed this advice.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
The good life. Passive investment seems pretty good to me though. I haven't sold anything in almost 3 years. "Unrealized Laughter"

View attachment 514614

Why wake up at 4 am to study markets and try to make money every day? Seems like a lot of wasted effort.

whats the percentage return looking like?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Vanguard, for some reason, won't calculate YTD percentages. I'm guessing it's because they are trying to promote passive investing.

But if you think I'm so wealthy that a return like that in 2 months is a 1 or 2% return, then, hey. I'm a fuckin baller

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Vanguard, for some reason, won't calculate YTD percentages. I'm guessing it's because they are trying to promote passive investing.

But if you think I'm so wealthy that a return like that in 2 months is a 1 or 2% return, then, hey. I'm a fuckin baller
FYI you can take the return YTD you have here and then divide by your total minus this return.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Well like 10% is good, 20% is ai baller tier, 100% is godlike. You gotta give us some reference.

Khane

You think I'm invested enough in this conversation to do math? Fuck math, show me the money!!

A few pages back I posted my 1 year percentage. It was 38.6 for reference.

YTD is probably closer to 25%

• 1Seriously?

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Foler Foler this thing is edging me

1708021965784.png

• 1Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I don't think any of us are Cad level wealthy, so don't worry about it.

• 1Worf

Khane

I think more people should participate with real numbers instead of percentages. It's an uncomfortable topic for most but it serves to solidify strategy when you can actually see what someone is "gambling" with when they talk about day trading or derivatives vs passive investment.

How successful are you, in fact? Put your money where your mouth is.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Passive investing is the way to go if you can handle the volatility, so far in my experience over decades managing can produce 80-90% market returns with about 50% of the downside risk. So you may sleep better but still underperform over long periods. Doing a mix of both is what has worked for me, but my advice continues to be dollar cost avg into broad index and forget about it.

Only way to get juicy $100,000 one month returns is tolerating $200,000 one month declines.

You have to decide what wealth level you are after, I'm pretty much where I want to be and you only need to achieve your goal once to take a safer footing. For those who have far more ambition to chase wealth than me you will still find very wealthy people tend to turn into bearish leaning investors and thats because wealth preservation is more important to them than wealth creation.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Il_Duce Lightning Lord Rule

Lightning Fast
<Charitable Administrator>
I will say I've done better blatantly copying following the suggestions of Blazin Blazin than anyone else here, or on any other site I look at. He's not 100% or anything, but I bet it's over 80% hit rate in the last 3 years that I've been invested(heh) in this thread.

I especially compare that to my own Costanza-esque ideas :(

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I will say I've done better blatantly copying following the suggestions of Blazin Blazin than anyone else here, or on any other site I look at. He's not 100% or anything, but I bet it's over 80% hit rate in the last 3 years that I've been invested(heh) in this thread.

I especially compare that to my own Costanza-esque ideas :(

Stock Pals are crushing it

1708024344855.png

• 1Mother of God

Khane

Sigh.

OK, I'll bite. Hey Araysar Araysar , what is this Stock Pals you're talking about? Could you please tell us all?

I can help with that. Imagine you have a good job that pays well. Now imagine you want a better job that pays well so you start day trading to attempt to match the pay you'd receive from just doing your job without the risk and without the downside.

Next imagine that 177 American dollars is somehow good pay for an honest days work.

Congratulations, you're on your way to trading on margin!!

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
My humble personal portfolio YTD. Not bad for a newb. Beating my advisor managed portfolio which is pretty sad.

IMG_5810.jpeg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I can help with that. Imagine you have a good job that pays well. Now imagine you want a better job that pays well so you start day trading to attempt to match the pay you'd receive from just doing your job without the risk and without the downside.

Next imagine that 177 American dollars is somehow good pay for an honest days work.

Orrr.... Maybe you're in zoom meetings 8 hours a day because that's most office jobs so make some pennies on the side while Shaniqua discusses the diversity goals for the quarter?

• 2Like

Khane

Orrr.... Maybe you're in zoom meetings 8 hours a day because that's most office jobs so make some pennies on the side while Shaniqua discusses the diversity goals for the quarter?

Definitely, totally worth the downside risk. ITS FREE REAL ESTATE.

I am mostly a viewer of this thread and not an active participant, but sometimes it needs to get reigned in with counter arguments. There are very few people here who have the aptitude AND the conviction to be traders. And sometimes its important to play devils advocate as a reminder.

This isn't gaming here, this is actual money and livelihood.

• 1Like
  • 1NPC

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Definitely, totally worth the downside risk. ITS FREE REAL ESTATE.

I am mostly a viewer of this thread and not an active participant, but sometimes it needs to get reigned in with counter arguments. There are very few people here who have the aptitude AND the conviction to be traders. And sometimes its important to play devils advocate as a reminder.

This isn't gaming here, this is actual money and livelihood.
I mean OK, that's true. Risk is inherent in any form of investing and trading, it is required for a return of value. If there was no risk in what you were doing it would return $0. Managing different types and levels of risk is always required.

Thank you for the feminine take on this topic though.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>

Congratulations, you're on your way to trading on margin!!

Weird how you missed the $845 I netted today so far.

You seem to be getting upset

• 1Like