Investing General Discussion

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I think more people should participate with real numbers instead of percentages. It's an uncomfortable topic for most but it serves to solidify strategy when you can actually see what someone is "gambling" with when they talk about day trading or derivatives vs passive investment.

How successful are you, in fact? Put your money where your mouth is.

I don't personally have issues with this idea. But at the same time it breaks some "in polite society" guidelines that are there for a reason.

First, it's considered "poor form" to ask a person about :
  • Their age or weight (if they're female)
  • Their worth (if they're male)
  • How many head of cattle they own (if they're Texan)
I can see some reasons that the level to which we can discuss things on here actually works better without the hard money values shown. This allows for people to talk more as peers. If we were forced to disclose the real amounts we own in each position a couple people would feel rich, and a lot of people would feel like crap. Then the "feeling like crap" crowd would probably stop posting/reading and the conversation would take a downturn.
As it is we can discuss investing on it's raw merits of ROI profitability, which for the most part the world will always consider from a percentage standpoint. Without someone needing to feel like shit because they're only investing hundreds instead of 10's of thousands on positions....

Besides, would you actually believe any real numbers people here state?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't personally have issues with this idea. But at the same time it breaks some "in polite society" guidelines that are there for a reason.

First, it's considered "poor form" to ask a person about :
  • Their age or weight (if they're female)
  • Their worth (if they're male)
  • How many head of cattle they own (if they're Texan)
I can see some reasons that the level to which we can discuss things on here actually works better without the hard money values shown. This allows for people to talk more as peers. If we were forced to disclose the real amounts we own in each position a couple people would feel rich, and a lot of people would feel like crap. Then the "feeling like crap" crowd would probably stop posting/reading and the conversation would take a downturn.
As it is we can discuss investing on it's raw merits of ROI profitability, which for the most part the world will always consider from a percentage standpoint. Without someone needing to feel like shit because they're only investing hundreds instead of 10's of thousands on positions....

Besides, would you actually believe any real numbers people here state?

I think the internet, specifically, is the perfect place to actually show your cards in this regard.

You may look at your screen and think "man, that person has way more money than me" but then you can reflect on strategy and see actual, numerical results while being able to close the screen and not have anyone you actually know, IRL, being privy to any info you find taboo to speak about in polite company.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
GGbKqazWkAAQJgU.jpg

sniper roof GIF by South Park

destroy it GIF by South Park

GGZVEO8WkAAJJOW.jpg

• 5Worf
  • 2Double Worf
Reactions: 6 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 514640

THe small cap trade has been trying to say the least but my conviction because of that is growing. Too many went into the new year looking for that catch up and many are being shaken out. THe constant back and forth has occurred all above a 200d and respected the rising 50d. We are right at the breakout point. Failed breakouts can hurt but I'm sticking with it.

I also added some RSP, I wish I had posted at the entry but the more shonuff'ing the less I post .

Still in FBTC, added TSLA recently, added some AAPL at 179~ pre earnings . Small cap remains largest holding
How long are you planning on owning that TSLA and AAPL?

Apple seems like a solid choice right now.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>

They might get a general lift along with rest of tech stocks, but overall, their long term outlook doesnt look great. Plenty of solid companies out there that will net you better gains

People are getting tired of them basically rewarming and serving up same product over and over

And their new products like Vision Pro hasnt gotten great reviews

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
How long are you planning on owning that TSLA and AAPL?

Hard to answer that, not how I make decisions. If situations change, I change. They are not intended to be short term trades if that answers your question. I often have wanted to really hold certain names and for years I have a problem of making money and selling them, problem I'm working on...Especially when it's rapid return, like 5% in a week or 10% in a month etc. I tend to be too fast on the trigger when I have fast gains. It's not a horrible situation I grow capital over time but certain names pay better rewards being more patient.

I hate give back and that emotion costs me in the long run even if it reduces "red days" for me.

More of financial decisions of late are considering my children who are now young adults than I am thinking of my near term benefit. Trying to put more money in places that I intend it to stay for possibly decades. I'm now managing seperate portfolios for each kid, and that different time span outlook shows in results. I made 38%+ on my sons portfolio last year because I'm more risk tolerant.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Hard to answer that, not how I make decisions. If situations change, I change. They are not intended to be short term trades if that answers your question. I often have wanted to really hold certain names and for years I have a problem of making money and selling them, problem I'm working on...Especially when it's rapid return, like 5% in a week or 10% in a month etc. I tend to be too fast on the trigger when I have fast gains. It's not a horrible situation I grow capital over time but certain names pay better rewards being more patient.

I hate give back and that emotion costs me in the long run even if it reduces "red days" for me.

More of financial decisions of late are considering my children who are now young adults than I am thinking of my near term benefit. Trying to put more money in places that I intend it to stay for possibly decades. I'm now managing seperate portfolios for each kid, and that different time span outlook shows in results. I made 38%+ on my sons portfolio last year because I'm more risk tolerant.
Gotcha. Thinking of dipping my toes in the water buying individual stocks with longer time horizon. Pretty much just eyeing MSFT at the moment.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Gotcha. Thinking of dipping my toes in the water buying individual stocks with longer time horizon. Pretty much just eyeing MSFT at the moment.

I don't buy individual names very often and when I do I keep it to a pretty low percent. l don't recall the exact numbers but lets say for example you bought every stock in the S&P 500 40 yrs ago and held to now vs having bought the index instead makes a HUGE difference, like scary level difference. The rebalancing of the index works in your favor, bad companies go away and new up and comers are added. I can own QQQ and know that over a very long term I will own every single big tech winner, I don't have to guess. THe only reason I think to own individual names is that it lets me keep holding even when I want to sell the overall market position given current information.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I don't buy individual names very often and when I do I keep it to a pretty low percent. l don't recall the exact numbers but lets say for example you bought every stock in the S&P 500 40 yrs ago and held to now vs having bought the index instead makes a HUGE difference, like scary level difference. The rebalancing of the index works in your favor, bad companies go away and new up and comers are added. I can own QQQ and know that over a very long term I will own every single big tech winner, I don't have to guess. THe only reason I think to own individual names is that it lets me keep holding even when I want to sell the overall market position given current information.
Thanks for being my voice of reason. Will buy more qqqm. Araysar Araysar was getting in my head with his WSB nonsense.