Investing

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
well when you decide to do it can we bang before you do? there would be unimaginable amounts of comedic value being able to tell people i banged a girl and the next day she killed herself.
I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time this happened.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
well when you decide to do it can we bang before you do? there would be unimaginable amounts of comedic value being able to tell people i banged a girl and the next day she killed herself.
EddardStark.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Year isn't quite done, but it's looking like my IRR for 2015 is going to be right around 6%, in Canadian dollar terms. Canadian stocks got fucking hammered through the year, of course, however roughly 55% of my money is invested in international indexes (including the US), so with the huge decline of the Canadian dollar those holdings all ended up a fair amount and more than offset the shitty Canadian market returns for the year.

It'll be interesting to see what 2016 holds for the markets, but as always, the vast majority of forecasts from "experts" will likely be completely useless. All I intend on doing is a bit of rebalancing with additional contributions in the New Year. Mostly that's going to mean putting money in to the Canadian equity and bond side, which will feel so wrong given their recent performances. But that's why my spreadsheet has targets on it!

I did decide to take on a friend of mine as a financial advisor for a few exempt-market investments, as well as a whole life insurance plan. Obviously it'll be 5-7 years before I can look back and say that was a good decision or not. In any case, those are only about 10-15% of my overall portfolio, with everything else sitting in index funds. The one main reason I decided I'd give him a shot is that when I told him what I was doing (entirely passive index investing), his first response was "okay awesome, that's what you should be doing academically, that makes the most sense", but of course the next sentence was "but I've got some other ideas that would fit in with that". So he's still a salesman, and despite having a CFA and a supposed fiduciary duty, I still very much keep that in mind. The commissions on the few products I bought were in the 2-3% range, but that's not surprising given that they're exempt products. He's gotta eat somehow. Most advisors I meet and mention I index invest react with near comic horror, followed by them trying to convince me I am going to lose my ass doing it because the market is "way overvalued right now" or that I'm "missing out on some great buying opportunities". With my current guy, there's really none of that at all, whether because he agrees with me or because he knows that it's not an argument he's going to win with me. Before I'd bought anything through him we briefly discussed him taking over management of my portfolio for a low fee of something like 0.5-1% of assets, but agreed that didn't really make sense from my perspective. I'd be paying a commission of thousands of dollars for him to execute half a dozen pretty simple trades a year.

Below is a chart of my IRR for all of my investing accounts since 2009, if anyone's interested. Before 2009 I wasn't truly index invested, and the dollar amounts before 2009 get swamped by some big contributions in 2009 and 10. So not too useful to look at those results. Presently the asset mix is about 30% Canadian equities (TSX:XIC), 15% intermediate bond fund (TSX:VAB), and 55% in international equities (mix of TSX:VXC, NYSE:VT, VTI, VGK, VWO, VPL, it's a bit of a mess there). Again, all results in Canadian dollars. There's not really a good comparable benchmark out there, other than comparing to balanced funds I guess, but my portfolio is roughly modeled after the Canadian Couch Potato and the results for the past 5 years have been nearly identical:http://canadiancouchpotato.com/wp-co...s-Vanguard.pdf

rrr_img_121189.jpg

Legaeveth

Silver Knight of the Realm
I like playing in the penny stock world. I've been quite successful these past couple years. There is currently one hot penny stock ticker is TPAC its an aerospace company I started investing in them back in June/July and just recently the stock has been on fire. I've grossed over 400k in the past three weeks flipping the stock check them out if your interested. In the penny world its quite hard finding good stocks to invest in and well I've been quite lucky. Since penny stocks are high risk and don't take much to invest figured I would throw a bone out there.

Good luck.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Legaeveth_sl said:
Since penny stocks are high risk and don't take much to invest
This is such a silly statement. Who cares if a share is worth $0.20 or $20? What matters is what percentage of your investment you're gaining or losing. It doesn't matter if your $1000 buys you 50 shares or 5,000. That's completely irrelevant.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is such a silly statement. Who cares if a share is worth $0.20 or $20? What matters is what percentage of your investment you're gaining or losing. It doesn't matter if your $1000 buys you 50 shares or 5,000. That's completely irrelevant.
I think the big difference is that a small change in a penny stock is a larger portion of its value. Which is great if you're playing an investment game with fake money, but they could just as easily drop in value by the same amount.

Unrelated, a few years ago I was working in an shared office space w/ a company developing silicon for high frequency traders. Perhaps its common knowledge but I found out from those guys that stock exchanges actually pay companies to buy & sell stocks in specific industries to give liquidity.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
On Wednesday's market freak out, I initiated a 6 figure bank to my ETrade account transfer. I get the notification it will take 5 days to process.

By Friday, it had already come up 2.X%.

You just can't win.