Investing General Discussion

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
GHIV can’t get legs for shit thus far. Still totally expecting it to run towards $15 in the coming week with the merger approaching.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
GHIV can’t get legs for shit thus far. Still totally expecting it to run towards $15 in the coming week with the merger approaching.

There's been a lot of spac announcements this week that's stealing their thunder I think, and it's still only halfway through Tuesday

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Patience Calm Down GIF by Brat TV

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh I’m being patient. 🤪

I think a lot of people dumped to get into CCIV.
You see that shitba lot with SPACs. PSTH was tearing it up last week and then the CCIV rumor hit and it took some momentum out of PSTH. The Robinhooders are a fickle crowd indeed.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
You know the saying, wish I only had bought more. But I have almost 25 spacs waiting to pop, and 3 popped today for 50% each

1610480461860.png

Technically I'm already over 100% but would be nice to see triple digits in one day

• 1Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
You know the saying, wish I only had bought more. But I have almost 25 spacs waiting to pop, and 3 popped today for 50% each

View attachment 328600

Technically I'm already over 100% but would be nice to see triple digits in one day

noice! I’m sitting here working at home listening to Matt Ishibia’s UWM call. Just a pep talk for people who are considering them as their broker. Apparently people thought it was going to be earnings related which was never a fact.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I'm seeing a lot more SPACs recently. Now to figure out which are worth my time & money...

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
MP +15%
Either I am quite dumb or millions of people are wrong. Two previous companies went bankrupt trying to make this same dig site work. Now MP might have some magic to turn this place profitable, but it sure isn't worth the share price people are throwing at it until they actually like prove something.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm seeing a lot more SPACs recently. Now to figure out which are worth my time & money...
I think we're up to 400 spacs ranging from recently opened all the way up to ones awaiting mergers. Here's a really good compiled list of spacs, their management teams, target market, and their price

Essentially I went through this list line by line and picked out all the spacs that had recognizable management teams and were in areas I was interested in like tech, fintech, EV, etc

You'll want to get in one between 10-11 dollars but it usually takes about 2-3 months from initial open until the 1st rumor drops and the price starts to move up, so there is a bit of a timing depending on how long you want your money sitting around. Some spacs have been open for 8-10 months and have still not announced a target company or had any decent price gain.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So there was a big conference call with Michael Klein/CCIV and there was no confirmation of the Lucid merger, but people now pointing out that Michael wouldn't be allowed to comment either way. The fact that CCIV has held near 15 even without a confirmation is good news that a confirmation would bring another jump in CCIV

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
I think we're up to 400 spacs ranging from recently opened all the way up to ones awaiting mergers. Here's a really good compiled list of spacs, their management teams, target market, and their price

Essentially I went through this list line by line and picked out all the spacs that had recognizable management teams and were in areas I was interested in like tech, fintech, EV, etc

You'll want to get in one between 10-11 dollars but it usually takes about 2-3 months from initial open until the 1st rumor drops and the price starts to move up, so there is a bit of a timing depending on how long you want your money sitting around. Some spacs have been open for 8-10 months and have still not announced a target company or had any decent price gain.
Thanks for the info.

Basically investing in the confidence of a management team in a specific industry to develop a business?

Can I just randomly throw some money around and hope to hit the lottery with one?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thanks for the info.

Basically investing in the confidence of a management team in a specific industry to develop a business?

Can I just randomly throw some money around and hope to hit the lottery with one?

Kind of, but the more research you do, the more likely you are to hit a winner. Not every spac is a LAZR, most seem to hit around 20 and then fizzle out into the low 10's or mid teens. So the trick is to get in early when it's at 10 before any merger rumors. When you get out depends on how risky you are. Want 50%? You could wait but if it loses momentum you'll slowly lose all your profits. That will also depend on which company they plan on buying. Some buy companies that already have a product while some buy companies who are still in development/growth phase. That will also tell you whether its a long or short play.

While it's still a spac, your 10 base investment is safe, once the merger is complete all bets are off and its like any other stock and you can lose it all.

• 1Like

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Kind of, but the more research you do, the more likely you are to hit a winner. Not every spac is a LAZR, most seem to hit around 20 and then fizzle out into the low 10's or mid teens. So the trick is to get in early when it's at 10 before any merger rumors. When you get out depends on how risky you are. Want 50%? You could wait but if it loses momentum you'll slowly lose all your profits. That will also depend on which company they plan on buying. Some buy companies that already have a product while some buy companies who are still in development/growth phase. That will also tell you whether its a long or short play.

While it's still a spac, your 10 base investment is safe, once the merger is complete all bets are off and its like any other stock and you can lose it all.

All of the above is why I like putting money in SPACs as an amateur. 10-11 is safest but 12s is more or less okay also...you can never really lose that much if you get out before mergers. It’s rather mindless really. I’ve been following the hype around things before they get hot and routinely making money. It’s about as safe as you can get I reckon. Pretty much everything runs up to $15-17 before merger, those what have a lot of hype around it at least.

I have real long term investments in Fidelity I don’t touch along with my 401k, but I love fucking around in Robinhood for fun. Makes the day go by faster.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the info.

This is not at all scientific, but here’s my method, and it’s simple and has been working, more or less what Fogel said. See what’s being hyped here, on SPACS on Reddit (there are numerous subreddits regarding them,) Stocktwits (awful site with crummy people but good for seeing what’s hyped,) and whatever other sources you can find. Find whatever people are rambling about. Ideally this is a SPAC not incredibly far from merger, and not much more than $12 at the most.

Wait for near merger day, sell for $1-5 a share profit before merger. That’s really all there is to it. Occasionally you get lucky and buy a $10-11 SPAC that gets hot rumors and quickly runs up to $15 plus even well before merger.

If you buy at $10-11 based on a rumor mill and lots of buzz, even if it doesn’t go anywhere, you’re not losing anything — that’s the beauty of it. It’s not like a normal stock where you might buy it at $10 and the hype leaves and it drops down to $3 or something. That can’t happen with SPACs, there’s a built in safety net.

I frequently throw a few thousand dollars at these things, and if it doesn’t move in a week or two I just dump it and move on. Occasionally walk away with $100-200 or sometimes lose $100-200 if I get inpatient on those but I’m still way in the green around 20 percent on the past year.

• 2Like