Investing General Discussion

Aorin

Molten Core Raider
Not sure if this is the right thread for it but tried googling and could only come up with something not relevant.

If I have the choice of dropping payroll biweekly over the full year into an HSA or just dumping the full amount into it all at once, assuming it hits the max allowable contributions either way, is there a reason not to do the latter?

My thought was that if its setup so that I only keep a small portion (next to zero medical bills really) and the rest goes directly into investments, having 12 months of +7k would net a larger benefit than it sitting in my savings account at some garbage interest rate, unless the options I have it in tank.

All the results in google just say to max it out before putting it into a 401k/ira/whatever instead of when within the year to max it out.

One benefit to bi-weekly, assuming the HSA deduction is coming from your companies payroll, and you make less than the Social Security maximum, is that you won't have to pay social security tax on the $7200. If you do the bulk 7200, you will be able to deduct the HSA from your wages, but not from social security wages when you do your taxes.

Otherwise its the same question people ask about maxing IRA on Jan 1st in something like index funds. Some years you win, some you lose.

I myself keep my HSA receipts and just pay for bills from savings. I don't plan on ever redeeming those receipts, but just a backup in case I need the money. I use to do a 60 day indirect rollover every January from my companies HSA, but I don't get that social security benefit anymore so I just contribute directly. Indirect rollovers are also good if your company HSA sucks and you have to contribute there to get matches.

See this:

I use Fidelity for my HSA which allows me to buy pretty much whatever.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
One benefit to bi-weekly, assuming the HSA deduction is coming from your companies payroll, and you make less than the Social Security maximum, is that you won't have to pay social security tax on the $7200. If you do the bulk 7200, you will be able to deduct the HSA from your wages, but not from social security wages when you do your taxes.

Otherwise its the same question people ask about maxing IRA on Jan 1st in something like index funds. Some years you win, some you lose.
Thanks!

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I myself keep my HSA receipts and just pay for bills from savings. I don't plan on ever redeeming those receipts, but just a backup in case I need the money.

Agreed, and I forgot to note this. An HSA that you don't use now is effectively an extra IRA from which you eventually must spend on eligible health care. The tax advantage can make a big difference in a few decades as long as you don't need the cash now. We're all near certain to incur large health care costs later in life.

Locnar

<Bronze Donator>
Agreed, and I forgot to note this. An HSA that you don't use now is effectively an extra IRA from which you eventually must spend on eligible health care. The tax advantage can make a big difference in a few decades as long as you don't need the cash now. We're all near certain to incur large health care costs later in life.

Its even better, after a certain age you can use it for anything. I use and think of mine as just a extra 401k

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I learned my lesson from LAZR, I'm not selling any covered calls on CCIV no matter how much Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes tries to talk me into it.
Funny you mention that. I was looking at PLTR and thinking man it's been pretty stable in this channel, I wonder how much the $40 strike covered calls are selling for.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And back in the real world idiots investing in the wrong company make another 400%

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I likely played some role of influence on the options but yet people applied that very differently than I do. I sell covered calls on stocks like VZ and KO people then take the idea and sell calls on stocks that can change value by 20% in a week. The strategy isn't wrong it's application is.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I likely played some role of influence on the options but yet people applied that very differently than I do. I sell covered calls on stocks like VZ and KO people then take the idea and sell calls on stocks that can change value by 20% in a week. The strategy isn't wrong it's application is.
Its the allure of that implied vol pushing premiums through the roof on those covered calls. Tendies dont come cheap, baby. I'm guilty sometimes, shrug I gotta have some vices.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
+5.5% after hours
+8% after hours...

Snoop Dogg Dancing GIF by Romy

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Million dollar question, what happens tomorrow. Lucid is getting a ton of hype on fintwit right now, so wouldn't be surprised to see it continue up. I'll be holding but watching.
I figured buying Directv was in the bag and I might get a dollar or two off the announcement. This is like a gift from the Gods.

• 1Quality Calories

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speculation that the high CCIV volume is more than just retail investors

Edit: Also, one of the directors of CCIV is also on the board of Lucid, so no coincidence.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speculation that the high CCIV volume is more than just retail investors

Edit: Also, one of the directors of CCIV is also on the board of Lucid, so no coincidence.

Only about 15 transactions greater than 100k shares and only 3 of those greater than 250k. I don't see any huge institutional shares trading unless they are off-exchange and will show up later.

1610413863051.png