Iron Man 3 [Spoilers Everywhere]

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
^^^ Yeah, there was a shot when he called the suits where we could see a crew of guys clearing away the ruined building. Giving a clear view of the top of where the hatch opens But I don't think the suits would have had an issue blasting or pushing their way out of any obstruction.

I feel that his inability to call the suits could have been explained better within the movie.

Okay here comes another: What I would have done if I made the film tangent

We could have had Tony in Tennessee talking to that suit's Jarvis about the damage to the house and the systems there meaning he can't communicate with the mainframe there and the other Stark industry systems ( which would imply a range of things: War Machine / Pepper / Misc Stark projects / his assembly robots . . . whatever) without giving away right then that he has a bunch of suits ready in secret. Then have some small role by a known actor, playing a technician that's got a long standing default order to repair the home main-frame in any event, we cut to him doing repairs from time to time and then by the end of the film, he powers up what he has and Tony gets the green light. And then it all makes sense when he calls the suits.

But at one time we see Tony place a call to the system which Pepper receives via a spare Iron man helmet. So when watching that you're thinking: it's a nice moment for him to let Pepper know that he's alive, but on a 2nd viewing you also think he could have also called the suits here.

I dont know much about PTSD, but it does not make sense to that a dude who has panic attacks after going through life threatening situations would go out of his way to make himself more vulnerable. He also put a lot of effort to try and fix that one suit in a damn barn. It would make a ton more sense to just get jarvis to send out a new suit to TN. I would be way more Jaded if RDJ was not so damn good as Tony Stark.
Also agree. I think there is a practice of confronting your fears, but the approach is tobaby stepyour way up through small and controlled exposure to whatever your fear is. Not be thrown into the deep end.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
you're all forgetting that tony is an ego-maniac the likes of which have never been seen. PTSD is going to make him fixate on the one thing he knows he can do. fix a broken suit. he's not going to be thinking about "I should just call some suits together and wear them so i'm less exposed." that's not a thought in his head. all he's thinking is that he feels like a frayed wire and needs to focus on his comfort zone, i.e., robotics.

but that wasn't even remotely explained in the movie...

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Wait, old Fantastic Four, or new abortion-of-a-reboot Fantastic Four? I need to keep this straight.