Is Rock dying or already dead?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I miss motown. Too many of the good black musicians are making hip hop these days. This discussion definitely belongs in the "You know you're getting old when" thread.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I miss motown. Too many of the good black musicians are making hip hop these days. This discussion definitely belongs in the "You know you're getting old when" thread.
If you think about it the entire rock genre was spawned from blues, which were all pretty much black artists. Shit, the grandfather of rock itself, Chuck Barry, was black.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
i love all my FoH brothers. even Utnayan

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you think about it the entire rock genre was spawned from blues, which were all pretty much black artists. Shit, the grandfather of rock itself, Chuck Barry, was black.

If you read the story of Sun records, Sam Phillips founded it specifically to bring the blues sound to white people. He started the careers of Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Johnny Cash. It turned out to be a pretty good idea.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Some of things y'all are saying in here are triggering me so hard. Composers aren't musicians? What in the actual fuck? You think they just write shit on a piece of paper and don't actually play it? I dare you go to up to motherfucking John Williams and say he's not a musician. Jesus. Fucking retards up in here. No wonder EDM and some garbage pop is in the Top 40.

And BrutulTM BrutulTM , you should check out the newest Childish Gambino album. It's almost two years old at this point, but there's some quality soul on there. Stevie Wonder style. Also, you ever check out Sharon Jones? It's a damn shame she recently died because she put on a helluva show.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Composers aren't musicians? What in the actual fuck?

I agree with you, but the catch is almost all composers also play an instrument -- at least they did until computers happened. I can understand the argument that electronic music creators aren't real musicians, but I think it's wrong even tho I understand it.

I prefer music to be created manually, live, but it definitely still takes skill and knowledge to produce electronic music.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
There are definitely some legit electronic artists out there who play everything themselves. Sure the drums might be on a keyboard, but I record my drums on a keyboard too. Even Jonny Greenwood in Radiohead doesn't really play guitars anymore. I don't have a problem with laptops and computers onstage to complement the sound. I fucking love Nine Inch Nails and that's a primary driver of their sound.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Aviici, created EDM music without know how to play a musical instrument.

John Towner Williams (born February 8, 1932) is an American composer, conductor, and pianist.

Those two are not the same. EDM is riddle with DJs who don't know how to play a fucking thing, just using a mouse and keyboard.

Rule of thumb, if there is no electricity and you cant produce/make music, get out.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I agree with you, but the catch is almost all composers also play an instrument -- at least they did until computers happened. I can understand the argument that electronic music creators aren't real musicians, but I think it's wrong even tho I understand it.

I prefer music to be created manually, live, but it definitely still takes skill and knowledge to produce electronic music.

Insert pryda snare, 20 times in a row. Done.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's pretty clear Lendarios thinks people just log onto a computer, hit a couple buttons, and spit out hits. I'm surprised he isn't a platinum recording artist.

I would rather listen to anything Avicii created than anything Nickelback created.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
No it'll be some cool Cuban dance music.

Dance to the Samba beat, feel the Cuban heat.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Not even that. Rock and Roll is literally defined as before and after Jimi Hendrix. He changed everything even conceived about the electric guitar and even singing in a rock band.

My favorite story is that Eric Clapton himself was too afraid to consider playing Killing Floor by Howlin' Wolf (also a black blues rocker with a TON of well known songs) because it was too fucking hard to play. Look up Killing Floor Jimi Hendrix Monterey Pop festival. You will not be disappointed. That opening is out of this world. But stuff like Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner literally used electric guitar techniques nobody had ever considered at that point. Using feedback to create a consistent long tone.

• 1Solidarity