Isle of Dogs (2018)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Isle of Dogs

Genre: Comedy, Animation

Director: Wes Anderson

Cast: Bryan Cranston, Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Jeff Goldblum, Kunichi Nomura, Greta Gerwig, Frances McDormand, Courtney B. Vance, Fisher Stevens, Mari Natsuki, Harvey Keitel, Koyu Rankin, Liev Schreiber, Bob Balaban, Scarlett Johansson, Tilda Swinton, Akira Ito, Akira Takayama, F. Murray Abraham, Yojiro Noda, Frank Wood, Yoko Ono

Release: 2018-04-11

Plot: A boy in Japan sets out on an adventure to find his dog.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I was at the UK premiere of this on Wednesday night and I can confirm this is indeed fucking awesome.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this today, SUPER disappointed. I'm not a huge Wes Anderson fan but I really enjoyed Rushmore, Grand Budapest Hotel and love dogs, but just really disliked this movie. I'm no weaboo but goddamn the handling of Japanese culture and themes was done so poorly it almost feels like its a weird artsy joke but against what I can't even figure out.

It just has the ultimate movie taboo for me: don't be so damn weird and boring. So many characters and moments just felt bizarre and nonsensical and the dogs didn't really feel like dogs and the people didn't really feel "right" in the way they talked or their actions. Perhaps I was looking forward too much to this movie, I loved Fantastic Mr. Fox, but I really wish I hadn't seen Isle of Dogs and would tell anyone who is planning on seeing it when it opens to go in with very low expectations or just wait for Netflix.

I cannot for the life of me fathom how its 92% on Rotten Tomatoes

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Saw it yesterday, I enjoyed it, my lady's reaction was "Well.. meh? I mean, it was a Wes Anderson movie. " and that was basically all she had to say. I get it, and pretty much agree. If you like Wes Anderson movies, you will like this, but its not his best work, or even top 3.

Siliconemelons

I just don't get it... other than, its Wes and a "form" of "art" so "you better like it! or we will shame you!"

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I just don't get it... other than, its Wes and a "form" of "art" so "you better like it! or we will shame you!"

Its not that at all.

Its like food. You can be a food critic, and critic all kinds of food. But if there a dude who just makes this very distinct type of Italian dishes...and you go try it, and start your review with "Now I don't really like Italian food.."

Well, out of the gate, this movie is not something you will like. Wes Anderson films are very distinct, and have a very recognizable style to them. I'm not saying this is his best work, but if you aren't a fan of Wes, you most likely wont be a fan of much of his work. Hes one of a very small group of Directors whose film have an extremely recognizable signature to them.

Siliconemelons

I would say, I am indifferent. I am not a person who really cares to remember or know authors or directors etc. I drove my one friend who is really into film crazy, because I just generally do not give a shit. Like Avatar was shit, I do not care who made it. I do not follow or really know any directors, producers etc. He would be like "this was written by the director of X and the co star's former roomate of Y and also the guy who co penned that indi flick Z- so thats why its awesome! look at the deeper meaning of why that one character wore grey shoes with his black suit not black...oh man, its so deep- these people are true artists just trying to help us plebs understand their vision!"

So...yeah, just watching the previews of this...its eh.. okay I get this dry pov swapping narrative type thing... and I get there is deff some cool art style going down. I also watched Kubo because of the reviews here...again. no idea if its related...but both are "animated" and based off of or inclusive of asian mythology... and kubo, was entertaining - its attempt to westernize a very eastern tale was...not that great.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Just saw this tonight and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, I still think Fantastic Mr. Fox was far superior. I understand the usage of foreign language to aid in the concept, but, damn...I really wanted to know what they were saying, lol.

Definitely recommend this film.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database