IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

moontayle

Golden Squire
You shouldn't do anything unless you actually enjoy doing it. Failing that, at least make sure it pays well. Failing that, it's time to bootstrap. But don't ask for help. That's not boostrapping.

Vinen

God is dead
Oh ok. I think most people here do it because they enjoy it, at least for me it's been a passion since I was a kid. The fact that I make money to come in and play with computers all day is awesome.

The income talk is just natural, you just want to maximize your income while you can.
This. The income from it is just a bonus. A nice big fat 6 figure bonus.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
This. The income from it is just a bonus. A nice big fat 6 figure bonus.
rrr_img_115015.jpg

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
17 years no so no =p. She has been in the US longer then she was in China.
If you met her you'd think she was ABC.
I dunno, I'm pretty good at spotting FOB's.
smile.png

I am actually the great provider of children to my in-laws so I don't hear that. I hear why don't they speak Vietnamese, why don't they love Pho...

Because we live in Goddamn america, thats why.

Fuck yea.

Vinen

God is dead
I dunno, I'm pretty good at spotting FOB's.
smile.png

I am actually the great provider of children to my in-laws so I don't hear that. I hear why don't they speak Vietnamese, why don't they love Pho...

Because we live in Goddamn america, thats why.

Fuck yea.
Ahh your wife a communist too?

My child (because fuck If im having 2) will know English, Mandarin and Shanghai Dialect. If they don't learn Mandarin or try not to we will just send them to live in China. Thats what relatives are for.

I personally speak Mandarin, English and Spanish. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK learning to speak Shanghai Dialect.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Ahh your wife a communist too?

My child (because fuck If im having 2) will know English, Mandarin and Shanghai Dialect. If they don't learn Mandarin or try not to we will just send them to live in China. Thats what relatives are for.

I personally speak Mandarin, English and Spanish. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK learning to speak Shanghai Dialect.
Nah mine came here when she was a toddler right after the fall. I'm unconcerned that my kids don't speak vietnamese because, who the fuck wants to go to Vietnam anyway? Chinese would be a different deal since there's a reason to go there. But my wife doesn't even want to go to Vietnam. She went once like 20 years ago and said never again.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Kotlinhit Beta 1 yesterday. Java alternative that compiles down into java bytecode so from a technical standpoint it's the same. It's picking up steam within the Android community because it's compatible with the Java 1.6-hybrid Google uses while offering a lot of the things Java 1.8 has including lambdas, method referencing, as well as better null safety and some other bits that are offered natively by Kotlin that I would have to grab a library for otherwise. Figure it's worth picking up on the side.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Man, these last couple days are great. I'm taking on small tasks here and there, doing knowledge dumps (I hate that term), and generally doing nothing. This is what dying must feel like, after you accept your fate and no one really wants to talk to you anymore. Just peace. Old guy is still annoying as ever, but the pain is temporary.

Also, they just cleared the land for a new 1 million square foot amazon warehouse up the highway and in the center of my commute. I'm quite nervous of my commute now..

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How is it really any different than the ton of other languages out there that compile down to byte code? It seems to just add some syntactical sugar and avoid some of the verbosity of Java -- which there are already alternatives out there.

moontayle

Golden Squire
How is it really any different than the ton of other languages out there that compile down to byte code? It seems to just add some syntactical sugar and avoid some of the verbosity of Java -- which there are already alternatives out there.
Can't reliably answer that. I know it's been a subject of interest within the Android dev community for a while. That question gets brought up a lot too.

The thing that caused me to perk up was when Jake Wharton started advocating it. You know the type. There's usually a small handful of extremely knowledgeable individuals within a development community that move it forward and have made the platform better as a result. He's one of those guys for Android.

I figure it's easy to pick up and knowing another language certainly can't hurt, especially one being embraced by the platform I work on.

Tenks

I suppose if there is little downside there is nothing wrong. It just always seems these languages that add nothing but sugar ontop of Java pay the price of performance for the sake of code brevity.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
How is shortening the actual time to write Java code a good idea anyway? When I was developing in Java the time spent actually writing code was like 10% of the time spent. Usually its designing, testing, investigating how other things work, testing, integrating, etc... actually sitting there coding shit was like the least of my time spent worries. Is that really an issue these days?

Tenks

No but since Java is fairly old it is showing its age in some aspects where modern languages do things quicker and easier. Like in the above case it took Java up to Java8 to finally add lambdas which is basically cleaning up the god awful syntax that is anonymous inner classes. But my argument is any modern IDE will auto fill out the anonymous inner class anyways. So as long as I fill in the left side of the variable with the proper generics Intellij will just auto make the anonymous inner class for me. Even when I'm done writing it it displays it as a lambda. So I would gain or lose no time writing it as a Lambda. It also appears like the above language extends some filters to the Collections library which is much appreciated for easier filtering and possibly joining. You can actually gain some real productivity time by using some of the features that languages like Groovy (also compiles down to byte code) extends to certain classes, interfaces and features of Java.

Tenks

And here I am saying these "Sugar on Java" languages don't add anything and I'm spending 3 hours this morning trying to rewrite my Groovy XML parser class as a statically typed Groovy class instead of dynamically and it is a major pain in the ass

moontayle

Golden Squire
One of the reasons I think it's being embraced by the Android community is because of that sugar. Android itself is stuck somewhere between Java 1.6 and 1.7. Who knows when support for Java 1.8 will come. It's one of the biggest challenges I read about, and that's on top of all the shit Google pulls during flavor updates.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Im addicted to syntactical sugar... i really cant do without it.
I had to write JS and angular for the project a while ago and i hated it.
Give me my wrappers and shortcutsnao!!