IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'd put Scala in the same bucket as Clojure where they shift the paradigm. I'd put Groovy and Kotlin (from what I've seen) in the same bucket as just sugar.

Tenks

I should note my only exposure to Scala is with Apache's Spark and they certainly do not use it as Java++

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Father in law got a job where he needs to learn linux and C++. He's technical minded and has some experience with assembly (but it's been a while).

Anyone have a gentle tutorial that someone can follow easily? Not something like:

C, C++ Programming Tutorials - Cprogramming.com
C++ Language - C++ Tutorials

I couldn't find anything useful at Khan or udacity, but those types of websites are what I'm thinking of.
The same way we all did:

rrr_img_115243.jpg

Like a man.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Father in law got a job where he needs to learn linux and C++. He's technical minded and has some experience with assembly (but it's been a while).

Anyone have a gentle tutorial that someone can follow easily? Not something like:

C, C++ Programming Tutorials - Cprogramming.com
C++ Language - C++ Tutorials

I couldn't find anything useful at Khan or udacity, but those types of websites are what I'm thinking of.
Accelerated c++ followed by Tour of c++ is what i always recommend. If he likes a class format, stanfords CS 106b will teach him c++. It is stanfords data structures class and is availiable here:

Stanford Engineering Everywhere | CS106B - Programming Abstractions

Tenks

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just teach him a man's language, C. Then tell him C++ is just C with classes and he's 98% there.

I kid, I kid.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Can anyone recommend any good books for x86/x64 assembly for reference stuff?

I know Intel publishes like 600 page PDFs, but I'm looking for something physical.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
The other day I figured out how to loop though all the tables in the active worksheet of an excel doc with VBA. /flex

Tenks

I saw the Excel team was having an AMA on reddit yesterday and asked my wife if she was going to PM the team her titties since she's in love with that fucking software