IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Vinen

God is dead
I manually edit ID3 tags I am that anal retentive.
People still have MP3?

hell, I can find my obscure Norwegian Death Metal on spotify.

The only reason people need to buy a CD is to listen to terrible musicians such as a certain country singer and a certain British singer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Look at vinen with his pop norwegian death metal

I can find my scandinavian post-hardcore folk black grindcore cutegore horse metal just find on spotify

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Coding as a hobby is great because there's a lot of "quality of life" improvements, programs, and devices you can make that are cheaper than buying them(depending on your income/opportunity cost).

Also if I remember a_skeleton_03, aren't you involved as a founder in a tech startup? That doesn't necessarily mean you *need* tech chops, but it's still invaluable. Even if you don't hack on your own product, understanding how it's made allows you to remove trust as a major factor in your business. If you're a non-technical founder who can't code you're literally at the mercy of your co-founder or consultants/contractors who could lie to you all day(I see this happen frequently), if you can code even just as a lite hobby it keeps everyone else honest and gives you expanded insight into your own business.
Yeah I am working the hardware side and it's a side business but I have always at least made sure I knew a little about coding. I just never wanted to actually do it before this class.

I have an actual coder with a full team as a cofounder so I am lucky in that. He could lie to me sure but we aren't at the point that it's profitable to do so
biggrin.png
Yet!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I am working the hardware side and it's a side business but I have always at least made sure I knew a little about coding. I just never wanted to actually do it before this class.

I have an actual coder with a full team as a cofounder so I am lucky in that. He could lie to me sure but we aren't at the point that it's profitable to do so
biggrin.png
Yet!
You'll probably want to learn C if you're doing hardware, although you'd probably want to be a double E as well

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Well ShakyJake, if we ignore the idiocy that is "We don't want it unless Microsoft endorses it" and then going on to write their own instead of using one of the existing libraries/technologies... for a spec that has been around for like 25 years, you can make a suggestion. As far as I know Microsoft's only HL7 product is an accelerator for the software that I work with, Microsoft BizTalk. It's expensive, it's foolish to implement if HL7 is the only thing it will be used for, and it's difficult to find people with the skillset to make it work correctly, but you can recommend it. You can teach yourself that technology and end up making yourself a very, very good living if you decide to go that route.

So you can use it at a career catapult if you want (and they agree).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
If you want to learn coding as a hobby or to help whatever stuff you do let us know what you want and we can recommend something.

You're getting into the business side of things right? Didn't you do IT before?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If you want to learn coding as a hobby or to help whatever stuff you do let us know what you want and we can recommend something.

You're getting into the business side of things right? Didn't you do IT before?
I do network management right now and still while for quite a while.

I am consulting the EE with what we want the design to do and helping them plot out how the software guys want to bring in the data stack into a useful interface.

I don't "need" any coding for this project. I was just noticing that in my inner monologue I was looking at coding stuff more than I ever have.

I am going to be dabbling with arduino which is just C/C++ so I have a framework already.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The best advice I give to people who are looking to code is to first find something they want that doesn't exist, then learn how to code it. Just learning to code gets old really fast for almost everyone, but the joy of making something cool is what gets you passed the tedious bullshit as a beginner.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I will say your code was far from production quality stuff. It is one thing writing one off and for education methods it is an entirely different animal writing production quality large scale code. I saw many, may people take "Coding 101" at college but continue to drop out later once they realized coding isn't just specific "Pam wants 4 pears and 3 apples how may fruits does she want?" problems.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Sure, I love them now - but to a college kid they were the bane of my existence.

Sometimes they still are, if I'm being honest.