IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Got assigned to my first ever project using Gradle. Its pretty neat. Really cleans up some of the Maven cruft. Runs a hell of a lot faster as well.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My boss asked me to roll back two days of work because he wasn't sure if it will be used by business. I cried on the inside a bit, but quickly countered "I'm one hour from finishing". He said go ahead and finish. I finished three hours later. I hate doing vaporware so much.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've convinced the company to just say 'fuck it' and use Mirth for our HL7 engine. The effort that would have to go into creating something that essentially does the same damn thing would be immense. I hammered the point across that HL7 mappings aren't as simple as saying this segment/sequence points to that db field. Some of the logic involved gets fucking crazy. There is absolutely no way in hell we could create a GUI-based tool that would have the necessary flexibility.

Vinen

God is dead
My boss asked me to roll back two days of work because he wasn't sure if it will be used by business. I cried on the inside a bit, but quickly countered "I'm one hour from finishing". He said go ahead and finish. I finished three hours later. I hate doing vaporware so much.
Hah! I've seen 6 months of work of a team thrown away at multiple companies.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Two days of work? We had servers at Emc that we worked on for over a year that no one signed up to use so we just scrapped them.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Alright, so I'm pretty sure I've convinced the company to just say 'fuck it' and use Mirth for our HL7 engine. The effort that would have to go into creating something that essentially does the same damn thing would be immense. I hammered the point across that HL7 mappings aren't as simple as saying this segment/sequence points to that db field. Some of the logic involved gets fucking crazy. There is absolutely no way in hell we could create a GUI-based tool that would have the necessary flexibility.
Count your blessings.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
That's what happens when you're bleeding edge. You make shit and hope people adopt it and it they don't you cut your losses. The company created their own motherboards, chassis and all firmware. Takes a long time to get out the door.

Vinen

God is dead
That's what happens when you're bleeding edge. You make shit and hope people adopt it and it they don't you cut your losses. The company created their own motherboards, chassis and all firmware. Takes a long time to get out the door.
EMC.
Bleeding Edge.

K.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Count your blessings.
Battle isn't quite over.

Is there any possible risk of open-source software suddenly being declared proprietary and closed? The fear is we choose Mirth as our HL7 engine and some time down the road the company decides to start charging for it. Not sure what the legality of that would be.

Tenks

Battle isn't quite over.

Is there any possible risk of open-source software suddenly being declared proprietary and closed? The fear is we choose Mirth as our HL7 engine and some time down the road the company decides to start charging for it. Not sure what the legality of that would be.
They can't call backsies on past versions. Though make sure to read their license (most use pretty standard ones) so it doesn't force you to open source your software if you use theirs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Work is so tiring lately. Just so much shit flying around, deadlines of yesterday, etc etc.

Today we got the next gen servers in so I was asking about it. Completely different bios vendor which means a completely different code base. So all those cool features I have been adding are not portable at all, they're all heavily tied to the previous vendors architecture.

You can tell they aren't coders. They acted like it was no big deal. Ahhhh

BTW, using bios vendors is the norm for servers and motherboards. A company (American megatrends) writes a basic bios for intel/amd chips and then oems rewrite or add what they need.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hah! I've seen 6 months of work of a team thrown away at multiple companies.
Yea, I worked on one for ~6-months that no one ever bought. I still wear the marketing t-shirt at our corporate events 5-years later :p

Battle isn't quite over.

As someone else mentioned normal OSS license don't permit revocation, you can also maintain a fork (under a different name) publicly if the company were to stop maintaining it. (e.g. Maria DB is a fork of MySQL owned by Oracle)

moontayle

Golden Squire
When my last place went through the great purge after the new CEO was brought on board, about five long standing projects were dropped from development. Like, entire teams (usually 2-3 people) were let go. It's definitely a thing.

Last couple of days I've been working on fixing the app that updates our other apps. Only to find out the app itself has no means to get updated in the field. It also has quite a few other things going on that make no logical sense (even taking into account extreme worst case scenarios). One of those times where I really wish I could pick the brain of the people that originally coded these just so I could try to better understand why certain things were done.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'd hate to be working at EMC right now. $250 million in layoffs/restructuring, plus god knows what projects they're going to cancel - and EMC projects are super expensive because everything is created in house. Motherboards, chassis, even I/O cards.

Tenks

I think Postgres is a fork of MySQL as well. Pretty much there is no reason to use MySQL at the present since it got bought out.