IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Postgres is postgres, it's not a fork of anything. Has roots at Berkeley similar to FreeBSD, it actually pre-dates MySQL by a decade almost.
Yeah you appear to be correct. It was just something I read once but didn't do any actual fact checking.

WhatsAmmataU_sl

shitlord
I have a "Technical Phone Interview" tomorrow for a software engineering position. Been a while since I was last on the job hunt. I'm making some notes about recent projects at my current position. Outside of that, anyone have any good advice for these things?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have a "Technical Phone Interview" tomorrow for a software engineering position. Been a while since I was last on the job hunt. I'm making some notes about recent projects at my current position. Outside of that, anyone have any good advice for these things?
language?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
anyone has any experience with React, tutorials resources, etc?
No, but I will tell you that Pluralsight has courses on React plus many, many others. Our company purchased everyone a subscription to Pluralsight and I must say the content is very well done.

(FYI the courses can be found in Usenet groups and torrents).

moontayle

Golden Squire
So I spend three months redoing our primary network app and get it into limited testing just before the holidays. Last week I get approval to expand the testing to all the devices on our internal test network. There's a step I need to take in between to make sure my new version can be downloaded properly because the previous devs were retarded and only checked "patch" out of the "major.minor.patch" version string. I fixed that and pushed that version out and have been observing the process on my own device to verify it's working.

Now, the other week I started looking into the app that does our updates because the retardedness didn't end with the above headscratcher. It extends to them completely uninstalling any app that needs updating and then reinstalling it, despite the presence of a simple command line flag that allows you to simply upgrade an app as long as it has the same signature (I might have mentioned this before). On top of that, the updater app also makes the same mistake concerning the version string in determining if something needs updating, nevermind that there's no reason to make the check since the app would not be running if there was nothing to update.

Then this morning it hits me that I'm going to need to redo our updater app before I can update anything else because of the decisions made regarding how they do the updates. I could take the easy way out and just conform to the way they were versioning things but that still doesn't solve some of the other problems and it's something I was going to need to work on anyway. Might as well get it done now.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
In my spare time trying to get this Ncurses library working with a toy Python program, curious about making a terminal based app on Linux.

There might be a shakeup coming where I work. Need to consider the possibility of getting off the Mainframe.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Some dude applied for a job last week, as usual with anyone who just randomly lists technical aptitudes, there was a bunch of stuff on there I'm sure he put on to seem impressive with no real knowledge of it. So I decided to play a game.

He listed that he programmed in LISP so I had the recruiter send an email to evaluate and expand a simple function written in LISP with undefined variables into standard mathematics notation and reduce it. Haven't heard from him since.

Am I evil?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's the kind of really stupid shit interviewers pull that makes someone not want to work with you. I wouldn't have responded either, even if I could do that shit in my sleep.

Tenks

You forgot to ask him if he is a self-starting Rockstar with a passion for artisan level code

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know this guys resume, but I'll definitely list stuff I've worked with, even if it's only a little bit. It's his responsibility to get past keyword search filters and it's also his responsibility to detail relevant work experience outside of that list of technical aptitude. It's YOUR responsibility to read those sections or just ask him "hey, what have you done with LISP?". What you did helps nobody because unless you timed it in a punishing manner, he can just google the answer and you are no further knowledgeable about his purported LISP skills.

Tenks

How does it help anyone even if it was timed? When was the last time your boss came up behind you and said "DEATHWING!!! We need this retarded algorithm written and if you don't have it in done in FIVE MINUTES the whole company will go under!!! By the way the internet is out in the whole Earth so you can't use Google."

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
How does it help anyone even if it was timed? When was the last time your boss came up behind you and said "DEATHWING!!! We need this retarded algorithm written and if you don't have it in done in FIVE MINUTES the whole company will go under!!! By the way the internet is out in the whole Earth so you can't use Google."
It'd actually be more impressive if he knew absolutely nothing about LISP and just googled it and figured it out and did it correctly because that shows 1> he wants the job badly enough to jump through your gay hoops and 2> he's good at figuring shit out even if he's never seen it before.

Unfortunately for you the people good at 2> usually don't have to put up with 1>.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It doesn't help much, just prevents someone from being able to bullshit the entire answer via google.

A better test is still loosely timed, but you're there with them to see how they think it through. And they can still google it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's better to say "here's a problem, how would you go about solving it?" rather than asking someone to break down a function into math

Tenks

It'd actually be more impressive if he knew absolutely nothing about LISP and just googled it and figured it out and did it correctly because that shows 1> he wants the job badly enough to jump through your gay hoops and 2> he's good at figuring shit out even if he's never seen it before.

Unfortunately for you the people good at 2> usually don't have to put up with 1>.
I'd be more interested in hiring someone based off their capacity to learn than their pre-existing knowledge unless it is contracting work