IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ok so my itinerary is all set. However I'm still a bit puzzled over what to wear. Initially I was going to do a button down/tie/chinos/dress shoes. But this is specifically called out in the information

Blizzard is a CASUAL work environment therefore a suit and tie aren't necessary. Our interviews can be lengthy and we want you to be as comfortable as we are, so please.leave the business attire at home!
So obviously I'm dropping the tie and probably swapping the dress shoes for a more casual boot. So that would leave a plaid button-down, some chinos and some dress-ish boots (they're more normal boots I wear almost every day.) I really doubt they want people showing up in jeans and a tshirt.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I always dress for interviews one-up from the position i'm applying for.

So if it was a place where everyone wore dress shirts and ties I would wear a suit. If they said the place was casual I think what you're planning is fine.

Tenks

I always dress for interviews one-up from the position i'm applying for.

So if it was a place where everyone wore dress shirts and ties I would wear a suit. If they said the place was casual I think what you're planning is fine.
Thats kind of what I was thinking too. The plaid shirt w/o tie is already semi-casual and the pants I'm wearing aren't dress pants they're just your standard chinos (with wood buttons which dress them down even more.) I think that should be fine. I just don't want to look too corporate going there but I'm sure what I was planning on wearing is pretty common for their candidates.

Tenks

Also it sounds like I do have to take a written test. I don't have an hour-by-hour breakdown but everyone on Glassdoor says you take a 90 minute test in the morning. I'm not 100% sure what to expect there. I'm just nervous it will be academic stuff I've long since forgotten or things not really relevant to my job as a Java developer like bit masking, memory management, pointer arithmetic and things like that. It does say a computer is provided so I guess they won't just ask me to convert 1934 to hex as a question since I could just plug that into the computer.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
bit masking is easy stuff. Just and/or a mask to show/hide whatever bits you want to see. I have to do it everyday so I guess it's a little more fresh in my mind.

I have a love/hate relationship with pointers, that's for sure. I always fuck them up in interviews too.

Tenks

I understand how to bitmask but if they asked me why you'd ever bitmask or how to improve a function's efficiency via bitmasking I'd be at a loss. The only bit trick I know is shifting everything to the right to simulate divide by 2.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I understand how to bitmask but if they asked me why you'd ever bitmask or how to improve a function's efficiency via bitmasking I'd be at a loss. The only bit trick I know is shifting everything to the right to simulate divide by 2.
Just think about all the retarded shit Blizzard has done over the years, their hiring standards can't be that high. You'll be fine I'm sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We're talking about a company that made the gold limit in diablo 3 a UINT32.

You're practically gonna be the boss as soon as you show up.

Tenks

D3, and the AH, would have been great if D3 had a real currency system and they got rid of RMAH

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
D3 was one of those rare circumstances where the previous game was so good that all they literally needed to do was reskin the game. Not many games you can get away with that, but in the case of Diablo they could've reskinned D2 and it would've been game of the century.

They dun fucked up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tenks I just remembered when you're in your interview bring up a serious issue I have with the battle.net app.

As you know I have about 200 friends on there because of the guild. What happens is someone will send me a tell - either in the app or in-game, I forget - and the battle.net app will still show the little yellow message box notification at the top even if I had read the message already in-game.

It's frustrating because I can never tell if I missed a message or not and I have to look through my list to find the person that sent it.

I demand this to be streamlined, there's no reason in 2016 it should operate like this.

FUCK.

Tenks

Yeah I hate that little yellow chat thing. Though I'm sure that is on the desktop app side which I wouldn't be on that team.