IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh ok, thought so.

Why haven't they made a battle.net mobile app that can chat anyways? Seems like a no-brainer.

I know you can do guild chat with the armory app and apparently hearthstone app, but seems like a mobile battle.net app would be nice.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Its not always about money
Yup when I took my last job they offered a posistion in the bay area of CA with the parent company at three times the pay. Wasn't interested. They are still working thru the process now of finding out people rather live in other areas for less pay that can actually afford a house and such. They've transfered about 15 people so far into TX that took a pay cut and they all talked endlessly about how big of a house they could afford now.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I don't really know of any game place that pays everyone well. Key people get bumped up, but only if they are aggressive enough to really demand it. The real savants that make the magic at most places are so introverted that they'd never ask for a raise. Games are made on the backs of people that are tremendously valuable, but make very little.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
And let's not forget another big aspect. If you write you worked at blizzard on your resume and everyone is going to want to hire you. Same thing with me and Emc - they see a fortune 500 company and they at least want to talk to me in an interview

Borzak

My first thought would be to ask if they were responsible for the fucking disaster of the real money auction house in D3.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
And let's not forget another big aspect. If you write you worked at blizzard on your resume and everyone is going to want to hire you. Same thing with me and Emc - they see a fortune 500 company and they at least want to talk to me in an interview
I've heard this as well. I'm not fooling myself thinking my overall standard of living wouldn't go down if I accepted the position but I'm getting kind of sick of dreading going into work everyday because I have to do uninteresting work on uninteresting projects for a company I don't really care very much about serving places I also don't really care about. I'm not really a big fan of waking up every morning going "Ug, I have to go to work again?" For the first maybe 4-5 years of working at my current place I enjoyed going to work. But the management turn over to big-bank executives has made things extremely rigid and far less entertaining. It doesn't help I don't trust the higher ups at all nor do I have a great outlook on the position of the company in 5-10 years.

I'm also not fooling myself into thinking in a few years I wouldn't feel the same way with Blizzard. But I'm also willing to give it a shot. I also would love to live in Orange with the climate and proximity to beaches and hiking.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Its the supermodel girlfriend. You'll get bored fucking her eventually so you just hope she's not a vapid cunt too.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Generally I look at voluntary worker turnover to try to determine how good the place probably is to work long term and for a tech company Blizzards I'd very low. I did similar for researching my current place which has tons of people here 30+ years.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I researched my company after starting and the turnover was high. At Emc the turnover is really low. Lot of guys with 15+ years. Should've just fought for a raise. Oh well live and learn. Only make this mistake once.

Borzak

Different industry obviously, but I always ask about turnover and when their last layoff was. Some people seem shocked you ask. One owner told me "you know, man up and man down". Yeah no thanks.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Outside of it being the only opportunity available to me, that's why I'm confident my future at my current job is well in hand. Was one of the first questions I asked. Lots of people in software and IT who've been around for 5-15 years. Tells me it's worth sticking around.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Tenks I just remembered when you're in your interview bring up a serious issue I have with the battle.net app.

As you know I have about 200 friends on there because of the guild. What happens is someone will send me a tell - either in the app or in-game, I forget - and the battle.net app will still show the little yellow message box notification at the top even if I had read the message already in-game.

It's frustrating because I can never tell if I missed a message or not and I have to look through my list to find the person that sent it.

I demand this to be streamlined, there's no reason in 2016 it should operate like this.

FUCK.
This annoys the shit out of me too.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
FURTHERMORE, in the words of Jon Oliver- is this not the current year? How the fuck can there not be groups for battle tags to organize people from different stuff.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Welp leave tomorrow interview Friday. Wish me luck RR crew!
200.gif

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good luck bro. After all these complaints you have to wonder if it is a sinking ship!

Work gave the entire company free tickets to an advance screening of star trek. Wonder if it's even worth going