IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I hear they check all your social media these days too.

This is a given. Look at how many of the attacks of late have been preceded by rants on Facebook/Twitter. If you've been a dumbass in public, yep, it counts against you (because this is something that we should need to point out, instead of it being common sense, right?).

And yeah, places like this board count as well, if they can trace you here. If it's out there in the public domain, and you are linked to it, consider it part of your biography (or autobiography, as it were).

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
They'll interview you if something isn't clear on your SF86/EQIP or if there are "flagged" things like travel to "enemy" countries, foreign spouse, dual citizenship or criminal stuff. If you don't have any of that they usually don't even have to talk to you. TS on the other hand they'll show up at your past jobs, knock on your neighbors doors and talk in person to all kinds of people.

I hear they check all your social media these days too.

Usually the contractor will coach you on how to get a clearance smoothly since it's in their best interest.

I dont have any of that flagged stuff so something must not've been clear. My point though: Dude had no sense of humor. Asked if I had ever been involved with any illegal activity, and "not as far as the government knows about" followed by a laugh was not an appropriate answer, and got me lectured for 3 minutes.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
They don't have a sense of humour because they're trying to gauge your responses. If you're telling jokes, it's usually either because you aren't taking the interview seriously, or because you're nervous and have something to hide. Either way, you're fucking with them, and they don't appreciate that.

The usual ruleset: Don't joke around, and don't volunteer more information than you're asked for.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
When it comes to stuff like my family's livelihood I wouldn't joke around anyways. Not as retarded as I appear most of the time.

They did mention social media. Not too worried. Mines set private but since they're govt maybe they can get in secretly.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
They don't have a sense of humour because they're trying to gauge your responses. If you're telling jokes, it's usually either because you aren't taking the interview seriously, or because you're nervous and have something to hide. Either way, you're fucking with them, and they don't appreciate that.

The usual ruleset: Don't joke around, and don't volunteer more information than you're asked for.
I was 19 years old still in college--I was fucking dumb

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
How far back do they go for Social media? Will they check the wayback machine?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I'd venture a guess that if they don't find anything immediately disturbing, they aren't gonna dig. If you pique their curiosity? Who knows.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
They'd probably rather see you set to private than have a wide open profile and I doubt that they circumvent any security (unless you are maybe applying for the NSA).

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
They'd probably rather see you set to private than have a wide open profile and I doubt that they circumvent any security (unless you are maybe applying for the NSA).
This. And be prepared for the most annoying, retarded mandatory security refresher trainings every god damn year.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Just confirmed with Raytheon that I'll be getting the official offer next week, they have to write it up and work out the salary/benefits.

That's 3/3 for job interviews and offers, must be lucky or a good talker - Cad Cad dad

Good job!

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly think you're going to be shocked at the amount of red tape and nonsense at Raytheon noodle, but the working conditions aren't bad otherwise. I know people who have worked at Lockheed and Raytheon and it's definitely a 9 to 5 and you can just hide in there, make low 6 figures, never really accomplish anything and nobody cares.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I honestly think you're going to be shocked at the amount of red tape and nonsense at Raytheon noodle, but the working conditions aren't bad otherwise. I know people who have worked at Lockheed and Raytheon and it's definitely a 9 to 5 and you can just hide in there, make low 6 figures, never really accomplish anything and nobody cares.
This is true for nearly all defense contracting jobs.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I know like didn't you just interview as a software developer? Can't figure out how to lock down your facebook? Wtf

Revoke offer immediately

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users