IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One day I'm going to ask how you found my RL name and address but for now I'm just not going to open Pandora's box

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
One day I'm going to ask how you found my RL name and address but for now I'm just not going to open Pandora's box

It's hidden now. Fb also has a "view as" feature.

I told Vinen if he was really super rich and successful he'd tell me.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
I took a look too. It was easy to spot the metalhead among the masses of whatever your actual name is that I don't remember anymore.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Sup nerds, I'm studying for my A+ certification right now.
I have pretty much no one else IRL that understands this shit or can consult me. From what I'm seeing, this is pretty much the first step in building a foundation for an IT career - is that true? Also, I am just curious on how much I really can apply for with only an A+...should it be relatively easy to find a job, even if it's not a super high paying one?

Anyone able to offer advice and steer me in the proper direction would be much appreciated because I really am just doing what I can learn by myself.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I haven't seen an A+ test since 2001. Does it still have Parallel cable questions still on it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I know some of the companies around me look for Win7 cert 70-680 (Configuring Win 7) and CompTIA Sec+ but thats due to the gov sector wanting those. Private sector, not sure. And not sure if the newer 70-698 (Configuring Win 10) will cover the older requirement?

Auto industry looks for ITIL for managers and some IT folks in addition.

I have seen 2 routes to go, networking or software. You can try for CCNA for networking, seen pay starting about $40k-ish up to and over $120k. Software, windows server certs starting about $40k to to $90k.
Starting wise as just IT fixer with the Sec+ and an OS cert, $30k-$40k.

You can also do a mix as you go. As for the A+, I havent see it do much. I would venture going the software cert wise. You can go Apple, Linux or Microsoft.
I cant speak for the Apple or Linux as to industry and ppl I have ran into, do know 1 apple guy that got that cert but he is still at a small company as the normal flunky network all in one togo guy.
As for Microsoft, I have found it easier to pick an end path and work getting each cert to get the MCSA/MCSE. I think they still have a beginning cert for that first test cert you take.
Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) Certification | Microsoft Learning

All of this is subjective though in the northeastern to midwest-ish area? The other path that tends to be pushed into IT depending on company is coding. It can be the better path i think. If you can get into it you can make more without the rat race style of IT. That in itself is a big area with multiple paths. I have seem companies lock and chain IT folks like troll in a dungeon and then turn around and gift party with catering to the Coding Staff when they get around to coming in for work. (I joke but semi true).
One company I worked for long ago, their coder interviewed me wearing a bathrobe, slippers, boxers and white T undershirt. No joke!

But honestly, I would go for one of the microsoft certs that would be on the path know out a server final cert that way if you do wish to go further you have some of that completed. Microsoft certs are cheaper than the CompITA...and tend to get you further. Over all the microsoft is more expensive in the long run as you need 3-7 certs depending on what area vs the 1 or 2 compita. CCNA will throw you into heavy training to learn networking and most need some classes to get enough to pass that cert. Others you can semi exam cram them.

The Sec+ is better than the Network+ or A+, if you get those you will want to keep them renewed. The Sec+ will over rank the others and all will renew from the Sec+ renewal, which is a pita and crappy company just to warn you with a $50 per year starting 3 years after you lock in.

Help this helps?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thank you so much Neir that is exactly the kind of info and shit I need to hear.

I planned on going for the Sec+ anyway but thought it would be wise to establish an A+ first. I didnt realize the Sec+ would count as a renewal for all so that is very useful, thanks. I am really disappointed to hear that A+ makes little to no difference in finding a job but oh well...it's good for my confidence personally just to make sure I know all of a bunch of basic information 100% so I can operate independently on a job, etc.

I saw the Cisco (CCNA?) cert thing but know absolutely nothing about, was going to research that soon.

If I know basically nothing other than how to use anti virus programs and all the basic common knowledge shit about computers - will I be able to pick up a Sec+ study guide and start hitting it or will I need to take classes/find someone to teach me highly specialized information?

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>

Sup nerds, I'm studying for my A+ certification right now.
I have pretty much no one else IRL that understands this shit or can consult me. From what I'm seeing, this is pretty much the first step in building a foundation for an IT career - is that true? Also, I am just curious on how much I really can apply for with only an A+...should it be relatively easy to find a job, even if it's not a super high paying one?
Anyone able to offer advice and steer me in the proper direction would be much appreciated because I really am just doing what I can learn by myself.

If you are just talking just about getting a JOB that is one thing.

IT Career advice.... that is a different beast. And to tame THAT beast you need to IMHO look at your LIFE and work from the perspective of what education you REQUIRE to do the work you would like to do, or perhaps work you might like to learn about.
FORGET ABOUT MONEY and Certs for now if you are going into IT. It will be there the more and better you learn, and more experience you gain. In IT EDUCATION is the key.

Background background!!

I do not think any SPECIFIC advice can or even should be given here without knowing more about your experience, school background and more specific interests in IT ? That being said however, perhaps I can start with some general advice you might find helpfull.....

If you want a career in IT.....Go to school!

Silly "Sup nerds" sh*t aside, if youre serious about looking for a CAREER in IT, do a little more research yourself as your next career step. Even if it SEEMS out of reach now, read through some college/university programs, job desciptions in IT area you are interested in etc. Equip yourself with some research to make a more informed decision than on whether "an A+.... should it be relateively easy to find a job"

Read, learn, get ideas and inspiration THEN ask for feedback on your OWN IDEAS on what you would like to do in IT, what field/area etc! You will have a much easier time getting more usefull and practical advice before making your own informed decision for your career.

Decide what sort of stuff, in Informatics you want to do! Then AFTER you have a direction to go into, we can look at the situation education wise, get whatever cert or degree or experience you might need. Then you can decide what to do.

Think about the field you want, go read about it, wiki it, google it etc. Think of the type of work you might enjoy and I am sure some good people here can point you in potential directions that might try to get you to what you might enjoy doing.

Your age range might help too.... but I do not want to guess and insult heh.

Share a little more background and where you want to go perhaps? IT is kinda.... vauge.

I think this is a safe thread to do so without risking ridicule. Anyone reading here who is older and has some experience to share in their field should be half decently professional in their mindset.

Last edited:

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I am doing research on my own man, haha. I get that my question/post was not specific or in-depth but it's just that I have literally no one else to bounce things off of so I just wanted to post here asking a few simple things.

Obviously I am not here for FoH to do my research and homework for me, I am here
to have a discussion about things so I can work out what's in my head and learn some things from people with experience I would otherwise not learn in professional/research text.

I appreciate your sentiments about school and a career but to be honest I don't need to be reminded of things like this. I did not just wake up a few days ago, decide I want to work in IT to make crazy dollars and post on RR asking them to guide me into a perfect career tailored just for me. I just wanted to know what to expect from a certification from people I trust. I'm 27 and have a degree in Audio Engineering and I do a lot of shit for work/to pay the bills but I have a pretty strong desire to get into the security side of computers/IT for many reasons. I am just trying to delve in without making any blatant errors that will fuck me over later on. I can probably give more background/what I'm looking to do in the future later on but it's late as fuck and I'm tired right now.

All that being said I appreciate you taking the time to respond thoughtfully.

Last edited:

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Here is the chart on renewals for Comptia. If you hold the higher level it auto renews all lower at the same time. Bonus if you have multiple. But the company is a pita, major pita! I think its ran by 2 ppl that outsource everything out to automate it, any not in a good way.
Renewing Multiple Certifications

Ya I did the 2006 A+, Network+, Sec+ within 2 weeks of each other. A+ was 2 tests then and I think still. At that type I think it has Parallel ports on it? I know it still had BNC on it. Was like 1 question I think?

The biggest thing is just getting the job. If you can get into some small company to get started that helps. I did the paid/unpaid internships for a time. That helped a ton, in interviews they assume and never ask what your hours were at those companies. I was working both types at the same time over the same time period. They never think to ask how many hours I works for either. They assumed it was 40 total combined. You could work at a small place as a unpaid intern and they would assume you worked there X months/years full time.
It can be a pain to do but internships can help alot even if its unpaid. Volunteer at some non-for profits if possible a few hours a week can get you started. Once you have that work exp, rest starts to fall in place.

Dont think you need the server info at this time, but from exp if you start with some cert in that, it helps to guide the path just in case. That has helped.
I do none of that stuff now, I went the long route and ended up in coding now. :)

moontayle

Golden Squire
A quick word about ITIL. I had to go through the bullshit of Foundation certification at my Data Center job and did two more intermediate modules (where I outscored all the managers and my director in the exams, and they wondered why I was salty that I made less than the idiot who had to take Foundation 3 times). ITIL as it tends to be implemented here in America is basically process for the sake of process. It's a hammer and every problem is a nail. I don't know if it's changed any since my last encounter, but I doubt it. The entire thing was created as a means for IT companies to interact with the British Government. So the red tape is very real. Closest I got to feeling like I was back in the Navy since I got out.

That said, you can make some good money if you get through the Intermediate certs. Here's a good breakdown of the levels.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Looks like I start on sept 6th

As long as I can make it through the myriad of forms they sent me..

This health questionnaire is about 4 pages long and features such questions as "When was the approximate date of your hep B vaccine". I think that was when I was in 4th grade...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Looks like I start on sept 6th

As long as I can make it through the myriad of forms they sent me..

This health questionnaire is about 4 pages long and features such questions as "When was the approximate date of your hep B vaccine". I think that was when I was in 4th grade...
Is that the one that gave you autism?

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users