IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Put in my 2 weeks, never seen my boss so sad. Said I was the first person to ever quit from his team.. damn

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

moontayle

Golden Squire
What about the Android courses on Udacity? They are created by/together with Google so should be fairly up to date and accurate. MOOCs are hit or miss (mostly miss imo) but Udacity seems pretty decent overall.

Never used them but I've heard good things about that course as well.

Put in my 2 weeks, never seen my boss so sad. Said I was the first person to ever quit from his team.. damn

That sucks but from your posts it seems like this was the only likely outcome almost from the beginning.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
He tried to offer more money or allow me to work from home - but my job can't really be done from home, I need physical access. And I can't commute in 2 hours just to touch a server then drive home. I couldn't accept the additional money just because that wasn't really the issue.

Oh well, moving forward i guess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Thanks guys. I'll look into all of those. I was already familiar with BNR.

Noodle, I have not been reading this thread. What's the TLDR on why you're changing jobs?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
TLDR: commute is 4 hours a day, working by myself on a job that requires way more people, don't really fit into the company/culture (the kool-aid tastes bad).

Vinen

God is dead
TLDR: commute is 4 hours a day, working by myself on a job that requires way more people, don't really fit into the company/culture (the kool-aid tastes bad).

Zzz.

You left for the right reasons. You belong at a zero growth chance Defense Contractor.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
25 minutes commute

It's fine Vinen, I get it you don't agree with my choice. In the end I wasn't happy here, that's all that matters.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Thank you for all the information and input on the certs and general stuff guys. Appreciated.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I appreciate the sentiment, I agree I would never move up here in such a niche role.

I did move up a paygrade + title by moving. If it turns out I hate it I'm sure I won't have trouble finding another job in 2 years. At least I won't suffer a 4 hour commute.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
2 hours of commute each way sounds like literal hell to me. I'm trying to imagine a salary at which I'd find that kind of thing tenable and boy is it rapidly growing to a ridiculous number.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I appreciate the sentiment, I agree I would never move up here in such a niche role.

I did move up a paygrade + title by moving. If it turns out I hate it I'm sure I won't have trouble finding another job in 2 years. At least I won't suffer a 4 hour commute.

You can always move around the contractors. I think Raytheon and GD 401k's can roll into each other. GD has a pretty big outfit in Westwood, MA (if that's not a 4 hour commute).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also GD is in Taunton, MA which is down the road but I don't know what they do there. No idea how far Westwood is. I'm on the se coast.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I have a 1hr 25m commute and I'm suicidal. I could not imagine 4+ hrs a day. Fuuck no.

• 1Like