IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You can accomplish the same shit in PHP as you can in any other interpreted language. I don't know why it would be a bad choice as it was probably the most popular web dev language until recently. Even then, I'm sure there's tons of PHP in the wild still.

You can also bash nails into walls with your forehead but a hammer is probably better :)

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I'd probably say that Perl is your forehead, PHP is a crude hammer and python is a nail gun if I were making web dev analogies.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
You can accomplish the same shit in PHP as you can in any other interpreted language. I don't know why it would be a bad choice as it was probably the most popular web dev language until recently. Even then, I'm sure there's tons of PHP in the wild still.

For sure, I just don't know what computing/abstract concepts PHP would be good for teaching to a student. CS programs aren't "how to develop production code" programs they're more like teaching you all the ins and outs of things you wouldn't learn on the job, how data structures work, algorithms, algorithm scaling, CPU's, compilers, etc. I think in my CS program I only had 3-4 actual "programming" classes and they were all in C/C++. Granted that was in the late 90's...

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know anything about PHP. What insight does it offer about arrays that you wouldn't learn in C?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Is there any fucking goddamn piece of fuck way to dynamically resize an iframe to the contained content? Sites are on different domains; We control all of the domains and do the webdev. Our webdevs are fucking clueless, so I'm asking the hive mind that is you guys; the people who actually know their shit.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
My work has an initiative right now where they are doing annoying benchmark testing out of corporate and these repetitive, annoying tasks such as - timing how long a document opens through citrix, how long it takes X application to open through citrix, etc and input it into a spreadsheet - are occurring once a month. This seems ripe for automation but it's not really my wheel house. Is there anything I can start researching to figure out how to make this not such a soul crushing chore?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Not sure I follow you fully but cron jobs and scripts should be able to cover most of that. How complex are these spreadsheets? If they use csv format, that makes the data input quite easy. It also helps if most of the applications are callable from the command line(they should be).

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Not sure I follow you fully but cron jobs and scripts should be able to cover most of that. How complex are these spreadsheets? If they use csv format, that makes the data input quite easy. It also helps if most of the applications are callable from the command line(they should be).

Yeah, I can call them up in cmd by targetting the farm and application. The issue for me is how to basically run a timer against a program opening. For instance script up -

1) Call to open program (Let's say Word over Citrix)
2) Time it takes for program to load over the network and open

it's just a csv so yeah, the data import isn't the confusing part...it's is there a parameter for this computer to know how long a task takes to complete?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, I can call them up in cmd by targetting the farm and application. The issue for me is how to basically run a timer against a program opening. For instance script up -

1) Call to open program (Let's say Word over Citrix)
2) Time it takes for program to load over the network and open

it's just a csv so yeah, the data import isn't the confusing part...it's is there a parameter for this computer to know how long a task takes to complete?

Linux or cygwin, you can use the 'time' command. The complicating factor might be application itself. For instance, I have a macro(np) for calling notepad++ from my cygwin command line. I can run 'time np' and it will give me the time it took to open notepad++ even though the application stays open and running afterwards. I don't know if all applications will play as nicely. They might need to be forcefully closed(by you) in order for 'time' to return, and this might corrupt your data.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
So here is a weird couple of questions.

1.) Does anyone know much about docker? I have dabbled with it but going to try and make one myself and not sure where to start really.

2.) So that program I had built, how hard is it to "translate" things like that to other code? I would assume it has to all be done by hand but is there a way to attempt to auto translate it by machine? Let's say it's made in ruby and I want it in python or umm nodejs or anything else.