IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
YOu know what motherfuckers? Being a goddamn director has the fucking perks off the mothefucking chian.

Like, its my goddamn Birthday. Drinking starts at 4:30 with the Exec VP and his personal "obscenely expensive" bottle of scotch. Then he drives me to his favorite bar and I meet the exec team...

And, fuck, like whenever hour later? I get a company uburr home motherbitches.

And I get to take one tomorrow.

All this? Cost me fucking nothing. FUCKING COMPANY SUBSIDIZED ALCOHOL BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
YOu know what motherfuckers? Being a goddamn director has the fucking perks off the mothefucking chian.

Like, its my goddamn Birthday. Drinking starts at 4:30 with the Exec VP and his personal "obscenely expensive" bottle of scotch. Then he drives me to his favorite bar and I meet the exec team...

All this? Cost me fucking nothing. FUCKING COMPANY SUBSIDIZED ALCOHOL BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Welcome to the bigs :)

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I took calc twice in college, once as an AM with a teacher who was terrible (got a solid D+), then again and got a B+. I still barely understand it. It's not useful for Computer Science (at least the shit I do).
Though, this stick figure comic of encryption basics proves Calc does have some usage: A Stick Figure Guide to the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)

Get a BA/BS in something to show you can learn. This is required if you have experience, but it won't hurt you (shouldn't).
Get a MBA/Masters if you want to get to a specific level. This won't guarantee a position, but not having it CAN hurt your attempts to go higher.

I keep looking at an MBA or a Masters. The SANS Masters course in InfoSec seems like it would be fun/terrible.
I can't even afford a regular SANS course by itself, much less the masters. I can't even imagine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Guys I feel like we pushed him to this place and we all won tonight. Happy birthday

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I can't even afford a regular SANS course by itself, much less the masters. I can't even imagine.
I make work pay for it. Not the masters, just 1 course/yr

• 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I sorta work extra, if you count showing up early to eat breakfast while I check email and slow rolling 5 to 6 so I can eat a free dinner (or just popping home to grab my wife and we both come eat for free). They know. It's intentional. I don't mind giving a few extra minutes to the project for that.

Friday happy hours and monthly team parties don't hurt either. Wish I'd been here when I was 25 and single.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well, the other company I was going to work for in Rhode Island... we acquired.

So, basically any new job would require moving and I'm just not able to do that.
Also, I made 34k in the first 4 months of the year at my 43k/yr job, thanks to too much work+unlimited overtime, so I'm not exactly suffering. And that's not counting the 100 dollar AMEX gift cards they keep giving me every few weeks.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
So I had that dream job company interview before work today. Looks like I am qualified after all. Will be a tough decision if an offer is extended as I'm already happy at my new comfy job. :eek:

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Well, first lets see if they offer it to me. Second, my contract gig now is paying $10,000k more (no benefits though). I mean do you really take a pay cut for a full time role w/benefits or do you try to negotiate? This is new territory for me truthfully so I'm not exactly sure what to do - If this even happens! :eek:

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Depends what the benefits are worth, right? For some reason I think you are in NY if so, your health insurance is like 4-5k a year, right? Are they offering anything else that is worth money? 401k matching or whatever? Sounds like the choice is between flexible hours and "dream job".

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
...so hungover...so worth it.

My team has been giving me shit all day. I love these guys.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Yes I'm in NYC, thanks for that figure. Benefits would be PTO/401k, etc. Let's see if I get an offer before I actually have to consider my options!

:p

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Anyone considering defense contracting, the customer makes all the difference. If you land in some stuffy job at the pentagon, it's probably going to suck (if bureaucratic/political stuff is not your thing). If you land a spot working directly with a SOF, or on some specialty program, it'll probably be fun at the very least.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Yes I'm in NYC, thanks for that figure. Benefits would be PTO/401k, etc. Let's see if I get an offer before I actually have to consider my options!

:p
Well that figure was for something you are paying right now, right?. Its shit tier Bronze Plan from a shit insurer. Its what I use :p. Its the minimum health insurance premium unless you are poor as fuck.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Anyone considering defense contracting, the customer makes all the difference. If you land in some stuffy job at the pentagon, it's probably going to suck (if bureaucratic/political stuff is not your thing). If you land a spot working directly with a SOF, or on some specialty program, it'll probably be fun at the very least.
For what it's worth, I worked at the Pentagon (actually a satellite of the Pentagon) and I loved it. My team was fucking awesome. That made the job great.

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
I haven't gotten around to signing up for health care this year truthfully. Did all my yearly stuff in Dec before my last insurance ran out. Should probably get around to signing up if I stick it out with this contract!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I haven't gotten around to signing up for health care this year truthfully. Did all my yearly stuff in Dec before my last insurance ran out. Should probably get around to signing up if I stick it out with this contract!
Its too late. Have to wait till end of November for garbage that will be effective Jan 1.

• 1Like

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Well shit, whoops. Didn't even know how that Obamacare stuff works. Last contract gig had benefits until it ended in Janurary. I'm in pretty good shape fortunately after my last physical. Going to hope for the best, like most uninsured Americans!

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Solidarity