IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Anyone considering defense contracting, the customer makes all the difference. If you land in some stuffy job at the pentagon, it's probably going to suck (if bureaucratic/political stuff is not your thing). If you land a spot working directly with a SOF, or on some specialty program, it'll probably be fun at the very least.
We still haven't had lunch and we work on the same base.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
For what it's worth, I worked at the Pentagon (actually a satellite of the Pentagon) and I loved it. My team was fucking awesome. That made the job great.

I honestly have never had a permanent station there, just been there temporarily. I was just trying to think of a place that felt stuffy (we always had to wear suits and shit when we went to the pentagon) so it very may well be awesome. I just hate wearing suits.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Meeting with a prospective new client that wants to MEET NAO in an hour..

I'm still hung over as fuck.

Goodbye, moneys..

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Now's when you invite one of the girls from the office pool in your office and do a bump of coke off her tits.

• 1Solidarity

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
So in this line of work, what do you guys typically wear? Is it business casual? Like a polo shirt with jeans? Is it a little more formal? Are there any places that allow t-shirt and shorts if that's your thing? I'm just wondering the dress attire now that alavaz alavaz mentioned it.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
So in this line of work, what do you guys typically wear? Is it business casual? Like a polo shirt with jeans? Is it a little more formal? Are there any places that allow t-shirt and shorts if that's your thing? I'm just wondering the dress attire now that alavaz alavaz mentioned it.

Ranges between tshirts, shorts and flip flops to slacks and ties. I would say the median is polo and jeans/khaki's.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Depends on the business and locality. DC and the north east seem to be suit heavy. When I worked for an insurance company I wore khakis and tucked in collared shirts. Everywhere else has been jeans and t-shirts. My current unit is jeans and collared shirt, but no tuck in rule so pretty laid back.

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
NYC creative-ish company (PR/Marketing types aka mostly women) - I see a combination of t-shirts/jeans to short skirts/dresses and blazers/jeans/pants. I myself switch between blazer+t-shirt/jeans/suit pants or button down black shirt untucked but the waist ending type. Black shoes usually but sneaker it up Thu/Fri.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
No shorts (for real dude?), but otherwise it runs the gamut. I see old ladies in cat sweatshirts and sweat pants, and formal suits. It's polo and jeans for me most days, khakis or dress pants and a button-down shirt or sweater when important people show up (CISO or his reports).

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
If someone's wearing sweat pants, it's not exactly a downgrade if that person were wearing shorts instead.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Those old ladies have given up on life. Don't look to them for advice.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I never understood the sandal life but I guess if you like your feet it's fine. Mine are like caveman feet and also I flip out when people or things touch my feet, a weird sensitivity.

I haven't been here long enough to know if people wear shorts but since most people actually dress up I'd assume not. I just don't care enough to feel stuffy everyday.

The most laid back was Akamai, but they were startup oriented. Lots of shorts, running shoes, athletic gear, zany outfits, and several very horribly looking trannies.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Now's when you invite one of the girls from the office pool in your office and do a bump of coke off her tits.

Not exactly this; But I did bring some eye candy from our support dept. with me "to learn the ropes" since she was new, and extremely hot.

She impressed the shit outta me, too. Far more technical than I thought she was, JUST flirty enough.

I'm poaching this chick as soon as I get my approval for my 4th.

• 1Solidarity

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Not sure I have the gall to wear sandals/shorts to work, even on a summer Friday. Sandals are for the beach or loafing around IMO.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Not sure I have the gall to wear sandals/shorts to work, even on a summer Friday. Sandals are for the beach or loafing around IMO.

East coast is a lot more formal in general. I went to a law office in Silicon Valley for a depo and half the people were wearing sandals. No idea why since it was fucking cold but they were super casually dressed even on like a Tuesday work day.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
East coast is a lot more formal in general. I went to a law office in Silicon Valley for a depo and half the people were wearing sandals. No idea why since it was fucking cold but they were super casually dressed even on like a Tuesday work day.
Sandals are acceptable year round on the CA coast, regardless of most weather. If there's rain just throw on a hoodie.