IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's mostly horribly complicated and difficult because it's done primarily by amateurs who have no fucking idea what they're doing.
Let's not forget a lot of the technologies suck. Javascript makes my skin crawl.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Does JS make your skin crawl or do all the technologies/libraries built on top of it to help make it do shit it wasn't designed to do make your skin crawl?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Does JS make your skin crawl or do all the technologies/libraries built on top of it to help make it do shit it wasn't designed to do make your skin crawl?
I'm not a fan of the typed but not typed half assedness. Or that there are two equivalency operators. Or that there's all this shit built on top of it, forcing it to do stuff it wasn't meant for.

So...both?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
That is because you guys went herp derp into the angular camp.
Honestly, I don't know what better technology there is to use in our case. We need a complete framework plus widget library. We can't be selectively pulling random libraries out there to fulfill specific needs. We needed a complete, cohesive solution.

It's mostly horribly complicated and difficult because it's done primarily by amateurs who have no fucking idea what they're doing.
Or, in our case, using a technology that just came out of beta and was impossible to learn during that time because of constant breaking changes. Angular. That's the problem: NO ONE knows what they're doing. Other than, I suppose, the developers at Google (and even that's debatable).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, I don't know what better technology there is to use in our case. We need a complete framework plus widget library. We can't be selectively pulling random libraries out there to fulfill specific needs. We needed a complete, cohesive solution.

Or, in our case, using a technology that just came out of beta and was impossible to learn during that time because of constant breaking changes. Angular. That's the problem: NO ONE knows what they're doing. Other than, I suppose, the developers at Google (and even that's debatable).

I don't mean knowing what you're doing technically; I mean knowing what you're doing regarding software design. Most front end guys have no idea why you'd have things like interface layers, why you wouldn't want to have business logic in a .js, etc... they mostly are not software developers and shouldn't be developing software.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I don't mean knowing what you're doing technically; I mean knowing what you're doing regarding software design. Most front end guys have no idea why you'd have things like interface layers, why you wouldn't want to have business logic in a .js, etc... they mostly are not software developers and shouldn't be developing software.

I'd say that's changed quite a bit. JS is often both the front and back end solution (i.e. Angular front end with Node/Express back end). The prevailing term for people who do both is "Full Stack Developers".

Dynamic, weakly typed interpreted languages though generally facilitate the production of shit software and make CS graduates cringe. Doesn't matter which end of the application it is.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think most people here would agree web development is a highly saturated market which makes you easy to replace. When you're easy to replace it becomes much like an unskilled labor position and you have no real staying power unless you move up and out of that into something more specialized.

It's a fine way to cut your teeth and get into programming but most of us, especially those of us who work as developers, wouldn't recommend trying to make it into a career.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I think most people here would agree web development is a highly saturated market which makes you easy to replace. When you're easy to replace it becomes much like an unskilled labor position and you have no real staying power unless you move up and out of that into something more specialized.

It's a fine way to cut your teeth and get into programming but most of us, especially those of us who work as developers, wouldn't recommend trying to make it into a career.

Well "web development" is a very ambiguous term though. If you plunk out HTML, CSS and some minimal JS to make a few things blink then yeah probably not career worthy. If you develop highly scalable node.js infrastructure you can probably make a decent living. Looking at it from the bigger picture though, language and type of application are irrelevant because if you are a good developer you should always have a job anyway.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Well "web development" is a very ambiguous term though. If you plunk out HTML, CSS and some minimal JS to make a few things blink then yeah probably not career worthy.

Yeah, I think those days are long past. No one is going to get a job in front-end development if that's the only thing they can do. You need to know one of the Javascript and CSS frameworks: React, Angular, VueJs, Bootstrap, Foundation, Material, etc. etc. All of those are complicated as hell and take significant time to master.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zajeer

Molten Core Raider
Question - any of you guys working in Development/Project/Program Management in the Southeast? I'm finally looking to get out of games and move back to Tampa for family reasons, but I feel a little out of my element when it comes to software development jobs that aren't in California and aren't in games. Any advice on how to proceed? I really want to finally move back to the place I grew up, and help out my family some.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I do know that there are lots of jobs for developers with socom on MacDill, AFB in Tampa. GDIT, MacB and Jacobs would be the best places to look. This of course assumes you are eligible for a security clearance. I'm guessing you don't already have one but developers are in demand enough they'll usually get it for you. While yes this is defense work, this is also the SOF community and it's a lot different than big army/navy/af work.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
So my job decided to move away from typescript, because they didn't like the constants updates and upgrades. Now we are doing react with a different type of compile check.

oh boy, this should be fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Back on that job hunt, team. I wanted to be getting out of the govt at this point but I am looking at whatever, because I just can't keep doing this shit anymore. Oh well, at least it's the start of the fiscal year. Lots of people hiring, it seems.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Back on that job hunt, team. I wanted to be getting out of the govt at this point but I am looking at whatever, because I just can't keep doing this shit anymore. Oh well, at least it's the start of the fiscal year. Lots of people hiring, it seems.
Move south and work with me.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I wish I could. We're locked into this area now. Shifting from blue => red in this job transition, looks like it's actually going to work out with one company or another. There's actually a chance I could go back to the first place I worked right out of the Navy, which is lol.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We need an EVM program builder so badly... we've got the tools and some good people, just no one to build it, tie it together and run it.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Believe me when I say it's worse than you could ever imagine
What version of DOORs do you use? It's honestly not that bad -essentially fancy Excel.
Unfortunately since my team does commercial aerospace programs we live in DOORs. We tried looking at JAMA, but somehow it's worse (at least with how we want to use it). DOORs makes meeting DO178 objectives around requirements and traceability almost an after thought so it's worth it just for that.

With that being said... Getting a bit bored of the whole manager thing.... Unfortunately now I feel like my technical skills have fallen off a bit so Id have to study to pass any sort of BS programming quiz. Ugh.. guess it's keep climbing the ladder