IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Graduating with a CS degree in a year -- busy hunting around for part-time work or internships right now. If anyone has any advice or potential job hookups, shoot me a PM please. I'm in VA.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Graduating with a CS degree in a year -- busy hunting around for part-time work or internships right now. If anyone has any advice or potential job hookups, shoot me a PM please. I'm in VA.

Move to silicon valley.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There are plenty of jobs not in silicon valley. I'm sure in VA there are government jobs a plenty and you know how much Noodle loves it.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Move to the bay area when you are young. There are other jobs in the rest of the country, sure, but they sure as fuck won't catapult your career into the stratosphere like the bay area will.

Take risks.

Source: I landed on a couch in the bay area in August '00 with $350 in my pocket, an '87 Jetta, no bank account, and a HS diploma.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
There are plenty of jobs not in silicon valley. I'm sure in VA there are government jobs a plenty and you know how much Noodle loves it.

There are plenty of jobs not in silicon valley. But there's nowhere else with that concentration of tech jobs, at that level, with those kinds of companies. It's like if you want to work in the oil industry, you move to Houston, at least when you're young. You want to work in Law? Move to New York.

You can make a career without those moves, but it ups your chances.

Tenks

I guess if you really want to have designer names on your resume it matters. I stayed pretty close to home in Ohio of all places and I'm doing alright. I'm not rolling in lambos and having hookers do lines of coke off my dick but I'm living a comfortable life. Not sure exactly what the end goal is but if the goal is to just live a good life you can very easily do that with a CS degree in any state.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I guess if you really want to have designer names on your resume it matters. I stayed pretty close to home in Ohio of all places and I'm doing alright*.

* Moved to CA for raise at a designer company

Tenks

*A very modest pay increase. And I didn't really move/work here for the resume headline. Fuck with CA taxes my monthly take-home from salary is actually less than Ohio.

and with bonuses the pay increase is actually better than it was advertised when I signed on

Tenks

Also I'm not actively discouraging the cross-country move. I, personally, wouldn't get my degree and immediately ship myself out to California. It is quite nice to have a savings so I could buy a house instead of scraping away not being able to build equity because rent out here is so stupid. But I will admit it is quite nice that if I ever did want to leave my current place I could easily apply for jobs at Twitch, Amazon and Google since they all have offices here.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
There are big concentrations of high tech jobs all over both coasts. Seattle, New York, Boston, Raleigh, Atlanta and Texas as well. There are even more jobs with non high tech companies all over the US as literally every sector needs and makes huge investments in technology. If you like CA and silicon valley and that life (I suggest you visit for a good while) then it's a good place to find work. Personally, there is no amount of money I would take to live in CA (again).

• 1Solidarity

Tenks

First ever real employee exclusive thing today that I'm pumped about. To raise money for hurricane release they pressed the Starcraft Brood War album onto vinyl and made a really cool jacket for it. This Friday is also the SC:R launch event party so you can bring the album to get it signed by the SC:R dev team as well (and hopefully former SC devs.)

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I'm in the last 2 weeks of a coding boot camp here in Portland. I was working hard labor for the past 15 years but was a Microsoft tech rep 17 years ago.
I'm pretty sure I haven't really absorbed most of what I've been taught but I can google-fu until it all really sinks in.
I've been a windows user for most of my life, haven't gotten into Linux or anything else yet....it's on the list of things to learn right away.
They've blasted html5, css3, really basic JavaScript, J Query, SQL, some database work, a lot of focus on C#, and visual studio community.
I have a unpaid internship with a company out east for about a week or two afterwards for some light, real world experience.

I've got a family member that has been in the field for 10 years and he suggested i get right into web development and branch out from there when I'm done.
He's suggested I just go freelance.
I'm curious what some of you veterans would suggest I aim for so I can be earning some real experience and cash without falling into some sort of shit show of a job.
I'd like to be at 70k within 2 years...is that really a realistic goal?

Tenks

It sounds like the bootcamp hammered a bunch of front end shit which is the lowest paying of all development work

• 1Like

Tenks

Probably because front end development is barely programming. At the very least you don't encounter the same programming challenges as back end programming.