IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
They talked about my stuff yesterday on stage and today my tech lead was one of the panelists. Pretty cool! First time battle net was represented formally at the con.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
They talked about my stuff yesterday on stage and today my tech lead was one of the panelists. Pretty cool! First time battle net was represented formally at the con.

Is your tech lead that really soft spoken lady with ramen hair?

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
I had a hard time getting past the first sentence where he used rouge instead of rogue.... That said, as someone whose background is writing enterprise java developer tools its no surprise - the Javascript ecosystem is a dumpster fire of stupidity as have been most 'trendy' ecosystems. Bunch of people with limited experience don't bother to learn from the past make a worse version of it, then go on the conference circuit patting themselves on the back.

We can only hope that WebAssembly eventually kills Javascript ending the popularization of a poorly designed language.

.NET Core 2.0 is surprisingly sexy if you haven't dabbled. I think it's next up on the hype train as it continues to mature.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I was told today by a director of infrastructure that their change windows are only for making changes and not troubleshooting. What a POS, I hope this company dies in a fire.

Raign

Golden Squire
So if you stick to the "only get an increase" you can pretty much rule out startups which is quite a frequent avenue that people in IT pursue.

He is wrong.

Late to the game on this, but I am with a_skeleton_03 100% on this one. I switched disciplines because I wanted to get out of the city and very few firms wanted a remote tech product manager. Best decision I ever made despite the initial pay cut. You can't put a dollar value on your sanity or happiness - if it is something you want to do because it is interesting or has more potential (i.e. startups), and you aren't going to have to skip meals to get by, you should go for it. Ultimately enjoying your job will make you more motivated which in the end will likely result in you pushing further and higher.

That said, I would never recommend leaving a Sr. role for a Jr. role in the same discipline elsewhere if it can be avoided -- you come across as unable to hack the additional responsibility vs just broadening your knowledge and skill set.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Late to the game on this, but I am with a_skeleton_03 100% on this one. I switched disciplines because I wanted to get out of the city and very few firms wanted a remote tech product manager. Best decision I ever made despite the initial pay cut. You can't put a dollar value on your sanity or happiness - if it is something you want to do because it is interesting or has more potential (i.e. startups), and you aren't going to have to skip meals to get by, you should go for it. Ultimately enjoying your job will make you more motivated which in the end will likely result in you pushing further and higher.

That said, I would never recommend leaving a Sr. role for a Jr. role in the same discipline elsewhere if it can be avoided -- you come across as unable to hack the additional responsibility vs just broadening your knowledge and skill set.
So it's about a 15% cut, and that doesn't factor in per diem. So ultimately it will work out to be less than 15%. And the difference in other benefits (medical, training, pto, etc) will be significant as well. As in the new job will be better. That is hard to really factor though.

As far as happiness, leaving my current job is a no brainer. I would be doing that either way. Take a 15% cut just to put magic words on my resume is a tough sell, though. I'm moving forward with them still, hope to be sitting there by early Dec. Stupid clearance shit makes everything take forever.

Raign

Golden Squire
As far as happiness, leaving my current job is a no brainer. I would be doing that either way. Take a 15% cut just to put magic words on my resume is a tough sell, though. I'm moving forward with them still, hope to be sitting there by early Dec. Stupid clearance shit makes everything take forever.

Think you have to look at it from a different lens honestly. You had seniority / experience at your last place and that did not take you where you wanted to be which leaves you two options: work harder / longer at a job you don't like and probably take up kicking puppies in your spare time to vent, or find something that will ultimately make your happier, likely working harder / longer by virtue of not hating the place and quite likely see more success as a result of it.

I guess my point is, it is fine for a headhunter to say never take a pay cut -- especially when they get paid a percent of that, but when you get right down to it you will almost always go farther in a job you don't hate. While you COULD sit around waiting for an opportunity to come up that gives you both (no pay cut to join and will also like), you may be waiting forever.

Why not go to the place you will enjoy while you wait for your 'best of both worlds' opportunity to come up and get another line on your resume while you are at it?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Had a really weird meeting with the company CFO yesterday. We're working on an application that consolidates the entire company's ledger into a singular format across all the countries we operate in. So its a huge deal to the CFO and CAO specifically.

CFO comes down to meet about this specific project and spends like 45 minutes talking about his trip to climb Mt. Fuji in Japan and has us pass around his fucking walking stick he used. Spends 10 minutes talking about how important the project is to him... Last 5 minutes was basically, "Oh btw this project has to be completed by X date come hell or high water or you're all fucked." This was a huge meeting with about 200 people who are working on the project.

So fucking bizarre.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We had a higher up here who climbed 2 weeks worth of the Appalachian trail and he hasn't shut the fuck up about it for 4 months

• 1Like

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I might have found my final resting place (non gov, non contractor) in Raleigh with a big company. Only been through two rounds of phone interviews but the first call with the recruiter had him really excited because apparently he's been trying to place someone for over a year. The technical dude was about as boring as they come but seemed to think I would be a good fit. Gonna schedule an in person panel interview then if that goes well a final interview with the CIO.

If I get it, it'll be a 30% raise and benefits that are better than government jobs - including a pension and a 401k. Shit almost seems too good to be true. I'll have to do an hour and a half commute each way until I can move closer in January but I can suffer through that no problem.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
.NET Core 2.0 is surprisingly sexy if you haven't dabbled. I think it's next up on the hype train as it continues to mature.

I dunno, fads need a trigger. Ruby was popularized solely because of the success of Twitter (and ironically its poor performance & scalability was the source of problems for them...), Javascript saw success because of the web and nodejs. Microsoft certainly isn't cool so C# needs some outside factor to make any significant number of people care about it.

I'm not sure about it will be considered a fad since it has some technical benefits, but Go has been on the upswing in the last couple years. Kotlin seems like a fad to me.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I might have found my final resting place (non gov, non contractor) in Raleigh with a big company. Only been through two rounds of phone interviews but the first call with the recruiter had him really excited because apparently he's been trying to place someone for over a year. The technical dude was about as boring as they come but seemed to think I would be a good fit. Gonna schedule an in person panel interview then if that goes well a final interview with the CIO.

If I get it, it'll be a 30% raise and benefits that are better than government jobs - including a pension and a 401k. Shit almost seems too good to be true. I'll have to do an hour and a half commute each way until I can move closer in January but I can suffer through that no problem.
Nice man, sounds like a good place to work. I definitely miss the benefits from Emc. Best health insurance I've ever had.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I pop in here every few months to rant. So, here goes:

So some of you may remember me complaining about our decision to use Angular 2 as the framework for our Silverlight application re-write. We're about 8 months in from when we had an 'architecture' team hammer out an application framework for us to start building the features off of.

So what we did was create several branches: "Infrastructure" as our root branch (essentially it's our 'dev' branch) and the other teams create their feature branches based off of Infrastructure. We routinely merge in Infrastructure to pick up any changes to the framework (Angular and Material updates as well as any changes to our application framework). This part has been a huge pain because they keep rapidly adding and changing stuff in infrastructure that invariably breaks our shit. We can't just NOT merge in Infrastructure because there might be some widget update we need, but we end up pulling all this other crap in that we couldn't care less about. This then triggers regression testing because something invariably was changed that impacts our feature's code. It's been really annoying but I don't know how else it can be handled.

But I'm also frustrated that all of this has been a colossal and, *I* think, unnecessary time sink. We're literally sitting here creating custom widgets for everything -- even basic HTML controls for input, checkbox, selects, etc. Maybe I'm totally off base, but I can't imagine most software shops developing this way.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Can you explain "triggers regression testing”? Shouldn't you always be regression testing?
Of course, but you don't regression test for no reason. That's my point, they are constantly touching parts of the system that have nothing to with our current needs which causes us to have to go back and re-test parts of our feature that may be affected.

For example: we perform a merge in order to get some bug fixes to a date-time picker control. Oh, look, changes were also made to the data-grid. Additionally, the select-control now uses an entirely different object to populate it's drop-down and selected-item properties. So we now have to rework our shit to function with the revisions to the data-grid and select-control EVEN THOUGH all we needed, at the time, is the date-time picker.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Of course, but you don't regression test for no reason. That's my point, they are constantly touching parts of the system that have nothing to with our current needs which causes us to have to go back and re-test parts of our feature that may be affected.

For example: we perform a merge in order to get some bug fixes to a date-time picker control. Oh, look, changes were also made to the data-grid. Additionally, the select-control now uses an entirely different object to populate it's drop-down and selected-item properties. So we now have to rework our shit to function with the revisions to the data-grid and select-control EVEN THOUGH all we needed, at the time, is the date-time picker.
I would consider regression testing even if you haven't made any changes. We have ours setup to continuously run regardless of commits. Helps expose rare errors like leaks or crashes. Does make a heavier load for test review though.