IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am glad that I don't do this for a living. I spent hours trying to figure out if it was the css, php, or something in the db that was causing me an issue on the forum.

Instead I just removed the entire tab from the forum via the html. Problem solved!!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I would consider regression testing even if you haven't made any changes. We have ours setup to continuously run regardless of commits. Helps expose rare errors like leaks or crashes. Does make a heavier load for test review though.
Oh, sadly, when I say "regression testing" I mean testing performed manually by the testers. Currently, we have no tests that test functionality between UI widgets and their consumers.

We do have a handful of unit tests that test the API, but when it comes to the Angular side of things it's a massive PITA to write unit tests. We're so heavily pressured to get shit out the door before EOY that pretty much everyone is skipping it for now. Yeah, I know, really bad.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm a bit confused. If your Infrastructure branch is your 'dev' branch why are people branching off that? Do you not have a master branch? Our branching strategy here isn't great but it is always branch off master, merge to develop, pass QA here, merge to release branch (weekly created off master), pass QA again, merge release tags to master. Other teams use develop as their release candidate and bypass creating release branches as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a main branch then release branches and off those release branches is a "bug fix or new feature" branch.

At Emc we all had our own d ev branches we had to keep current with master and fixes would get merged in from our dev branches to master

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
We have a master branch and release branches for bug fixes only. I don't do any development but I run the TFS server I wish I could replace with git.

At my last job we rocked an SVN server for all our scripts. I actually like subversion a lot.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I think I'd be happy with SVN if I could do partial file commits. Doesn't git have problems as your repository grows?

The place I work, product is usually on trunk and research has branches off that. When it comes close to release, product branches off until release installers are built and finished testing. Seems quite a bit simpler(not saying better) than some of the others setups.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
We use Git at work and it's fucking colossal (in size, no idea if it actually works well). I don't think it has that much a problem since we use it for ~400 different products.

Tenks

The teams here generally use Perforce. I have no actual experience with it personally. From what I understand it is good at locking down files and refusing to allow checkouts if you hold the lock.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
At Akamai everything was sort of loosey-goosey. They wanted BIOS on a code repo so I Just threw it on stash or whatever we used and used git.

Later one of the dudes was like "wow, the boss let you use git? he told us we had to use perforce" I was like nah, i never even asked haha

Vinen

God is dead
I'm still mixed.
git is excellent once you have gotten through the learning curve... but stuff like Perforce has no learning curve.

My biggest problem with git is while you are learning it is VERY easy to accidentally nuke your workspace.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm still mixed.
git is excellent once you have gotten through the learning curve... but stuff like Perforce has no learning curve.

My biggest problem with git is while you are learning it is VERY easy to accidentally nuke your workspace.
How would you Nuke your workspace unless you delete it?

Tenks

You can do some weird shit to detach and it gets super complicated to get your workspace back in order. If I do something fucked in Git I usually just nuke and checkout.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can do some weird shit to detach and it gets super complicated to get your workspace back in order. If I do something fucked in Git I usually just nuke and checkout.
I guess, in all of my training it was "do these steps" and it was all gravy until we did our own weird shit

Vinen

God is dead
I guess, in all of my training it was "do these steps" and it was all gravy until we did our own weird shit

Thats the thing. Defense Contractors do one thing well. Training.

Everyone else is like LOL we cant spend a week teaching someone. Here is a shit wiki and YOLO.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user