IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you want to do it right, get a Comp Sci degree. If not, then just go to an accredited online college with the cheapest tuition possible and get an IT degree.

it-has-begun-1.png

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
We don't need no degree to deduce the types of things Noodle texts about often: pizza and Wendy's.

1mn3EOA.jpg

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
all compsci degrees are the same, unless you get them at Wendy's as the quality varies from location to location

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
My boss has no degree, but 15 yrs of InfoSec experience. No one will ask him shit.

Needless

Toe Sucker
any of you fellas recommend a good platform to build an app on? my company wants me to start working on a ios & android app.

I need to gauge whether its better for me to build it (them) from scratch, or if i can just setup the api's backend and outsource it heh

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
There is some talk in my circles of using React Native to both ios and android at the same time, you essentially code in javascript. For the android stuff I have done (not very big in scope) I just used java/linux

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Needless

Toe Sucker
There is some talk in my circles of using React Native to both ios and android at the same time, you essentially code in javascript. For the android stuff I have done (not very big in scope) I just used java/linux

Thats actually what my buddy recommended to, i'm going to check it out. I really only code in php/javascript 95% of the time anyway so a javascript option that handles both should be good

Thanks!

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My experience with javascript has been that javascript should never be the answer unless it must absolutely be the only answer.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ex-genj

Golden Squire
You're crazy javascript is awesome if you know what you're doing and don't care about things that don't matter i.e. the fact that null > 0 is false and null >= 0 is true.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
One of my co-workers told me about a program that helps with job search.placement and since I am still interning and looking for work, I checked into the program. Got this gem when I went to apply:

I Have Read And Understood The Following Terms & Conditions
I understand that the All-In<tech> program is open only to residents and nationals of the United States who are: black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, multiracial, women (cis or trans), transmen, gender nonbinary individuals, gay, lesbian, bisexual, veterans, veterans’ spouses/partners, people with disabilities, first generation citizens, naturalized citizens, green card holders, individuals who currently or previously qualified for public assistance, 18-29 years old without a computer science degree, or individuals unemployed for 26+ weeks.

So basically, no White Males. I don't think I am liking being discriminated against.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Just tell them your gender is flexible. EZ.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
One of my co-workers told me about a program that helps with job search.placement and since I am still interning and looking for work, I checked into the program. Got this gem when I went to apply:

I Have Read And Understood The Following Terms & Conditions
I understand that the All-In<tech> program is open only to residents and nationals of the United States who are: black/African American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native, Middle Eastern, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, multiracial, women (cis or trans), transmen, gender nonbinary individuals, gay, lesbian, bisexual, veterans, veterans’ spouses/partners, people with disabilities, first generation citizens, naturalized citizens, green card holders, individuals who currently or previously qualified for public assistance, 18-29 years old without a computer science degree, or individuals unemployed for 26+ weeks.

So basically, no White Males. I don't think I am liking being discriminated against.

What's the problem? All you have to do is quit your job and wait 26 weeks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
For those of you looking for some books on Python and machine learning:

Humble Book Bundle: Python by Packt (pay what you want and help charity)

I have and have read and can recommend Python Machine Learning, Modern Python Cookbook and AI with Python as worthwhile reads. I paired the ML and AI books with textbooks and the cookbook was just some shit coded for a good time. No idea about the other books in the bundle but just those 3 are worth imo.

Edit: Talking abou the $15 bundle.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are these good python books besides their specific topics? I've been doing python for ~3 years, but it's not my full time responsibility and most of those books wouldn't apply to my job directly. Still worth it? I mean from a time investment, not money.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
If you want to get better at python? No. If you want to learn those subjects using the most accessible (and widely used for the topic) language? Yeah.

Edit: The above was for the AI and ML books. The cookbook does help with Python.