IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Been hitting Upwork for unity jerbs.

Pretty solid so far, shoulda been usin this shit for years.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
My company decided to go full on AWS, and move us from our azure stack to AWS.

This means moving away from c#, my language of choice for the past 15 years. It is a bit scary, but lets see how python is.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Depends on what you're doing. Most of the time I regret using Python are generally in projects where you outgrew the scope of a scripting language in terms of size and performance.

Sometimes I dislike Python's inability to make private class members. Sometimes I want strong typing, sometimes I don't.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Im gonna start rewriting a fully function C# azure application. It is basically is a web scraper in steroids, asp.net MVC and web API with react. It also uses the Azure Bus, 3 azure machines and SQL.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey does anyone know about modern forum software? Is XenForo the bee's knees nowadays or is it still vBulletin?

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also I'd like to get into the database side of things a little more, but I have very little experience with SQL. I'm hoping I can set up a little server here that I can fool around with, and I was thinking about loading up Ubuntu and PostgreSQL to get my feet wet, but I don't know if that's the best way to go about it.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Depends on what you're doing. Most of the time I regret using Python are generally in projects where you outgrew the scope of a scripting language in terms of size and performance.

Sometimes I dislike Python's inability to make private class members. Sometimes I want strong typing, sometimes I don't.
There are type hints and mypy which is kind of a pseudo strong typing. I like it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Also I'd like to get into the database side of things a little more, but I have very little experience with SQL. I'm hoping I can set up a little server here that I can fool around with, and I was thinking about loading up Ubuntu and PostgreSQL to get my feet wet, but I don't know if that's the best way to go about it.
Xenforo is pretty good and it's addons/theming is pretty extensive.

If you are wanting to get some experience in the nix world it's pretty simple to set up a Digital Ocean droplet.

Why do you specifically want to use Postgre?

I would spin up Ubuntu, drop in MariaDB (mysql essentially), nginx (Apache alternative), and PHP. This is a classic LEMP setup and is great.

I did that a couple months before I set this place up and it was a quick learning.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why do you specifically want to use Postgre?

I would spin up Ubuntu, drop in MariaDB (mysql essentially), nginx (Apache alternative), and PHP. This is a classic LEMP setup and is great.

I did that a couple months before I set this place up and it was a quick learning.

It was just something that was recommended to me, is MariaDB that much better?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It was just something that was recommended to me, is MariaDB that much better?
Most people do MySQL or MariaDB. I don't know anyone that uses post, I think businesses might use it for some enterprise level shit.

Maria is used at some of the highest levels and I suggest it. It is zero difference from MySQL on pretty much all of the commands you would use.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
In ubuntu "setting up" postgres is just like apt-get postgres and then ./start-postgres or some shit. Not like it is complicated. Hardest part is the CLI commands make no sense.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
In ubuntu "setting up" postgres is just like apt-get postgres and then ./start-postgres or some shit. Not like it is complicated. Hardest part is the CLI commands make no sense.
sudo apt install mariadb
sudo service mysql start

Just as easy and the commands will make sense because it is a mysql fork.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I know this conversation has been had here before, but I'm going to be doing some 1099 work for my former employer and it may be long term. I've been advised by several people that I should form an LLC. Read up on it and it seems super easy. Any pitfalls to be aware of?

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Im gonna start rewriting a fully function C# azure application. It is basically is a web scraper in steroids, asp.net MVC and web API with react. It also uses the Azure Bus, 3 azure machines and SQL.

Python is very very good at web scraping. Check out the beautifulsoup library for a good HTML/xml parser.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Keep it simple. I work in databases a lot if you want to just learn more generic aspects just install SQL Server and download their test database/data. Practice SQL against that dataset. Next create your own database/fields and the whole 9. It will be very beneficial to understanding the overall structure and why its set up that way.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The DBAs we have here that manage our Oracle clusters are like wizards. I feel like I'm pretty good at databases and SQL but these people are on like a whole different plane of existance with the shit they do.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Sometimes it's really, really hard to get out of my own way when it comes to SQL. For the most part writing typical, set based queries is no problem but every once in a while I stumble into a problem I can't seem to find a good way to solve in a set based fashion. Sitting there thinking I'm gonna need to use a cursor or a user defined function or something else, then I hand it off to one of our DBAs and they give me back this simple as shit query that I just couldn't see.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user