IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
C# with asp.net is the way to go, i would say MVC, and play around with the templates. There are design templates what provided a database connection will build for you the view and tables.

super step by step.

Displaying a Table of Database Data (C#)
Reason why I would recommend WebForms instead is that it has a ton of built-in controls (like a data grid). With MVC you'll need to either build your own or find a third-party library. If one is just starting out it'll just add needless complexity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I second C# webforms. It will be the easiest to get going on given your server architecture and lack of programming background. Just download VS 2017, install the web dev options then youtube your way to success.

• 1Like

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
And you know zero programming languages? What you're describing isn't particularly trivial and the fact you're coming in knowing nothing will make this exponentially more difficult.

Given that you're mentioning Microsoft technologies (IIS, SQL Server 2012), I would strongly advise learning the Microsoft .NET framework and either C# or VB. And since you're needing to write a website you may want to consider going with .NET WebForms. It's old and antiquated, but it's very mature and super easy to get something up and running. Here's a good book on the subject: Pro ASP.NET 4.5 in C#

You are correct.

I mean, I am decent with HTML, I've done some MINOR JavaScript, and know Powershell pretty fucking well.

Will that help me at all?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
big Powah.

either one you select web form or MVC, there are tons of tutorials and is super simple to get something off the ground.
both u can use your html knowledge.

Main difference is that webform, you object model (data and objects) are send in the html as a hidden field, this field is then rendered on the client properly.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
big Powah.

either one you select web form or MVC, there are tons of tutorials and is super simple to get something off the ground.
both u can use your html knowledge.

Main difference is that webform, you object model (data and objects) are send in the html as a hidden field, this field is then rendered on the client properly.

I think I understand, but I also think you're drunk...

ex-genj

Golden Squire
I need to write a website or web based application that will query a database every X minutes, dynamically update corresponding data on a website, and re-order based on Y conditions.

you don't know any programming languages and have been tasked with having to write a full stack web application?? This will take you months of work to get up to speed. Give up.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
You can probably piece it together and if it's not too mission critical it may be fine. Coding even the simplest of applications can be a big time sink though, especially when it's a side duty. On the flipside, it could be a great learning opportunity.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Who is asking you of this? It's like someone asking me to replace an automobile transmission when I have no knowledge of car mechanics other than a basic oil change.
"But he's good at computers, he built that BI/reporting/? tool we all love"

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Big powah can u give me a database schema of the tables that u want??

fuck it. Ill built it for you.

Erumaron

ResetEra Staff Member
Unfortunately, giving up isn't an option.

The Web framework for perfectionists with deadlines | Django
Python Programming Tutorials

or C# and ASP.NET MVC is well documented and in huge (and growing) demand thanks to Microsoft being pretty on their A game w/ their Office 365 for Enterprise integration(s).

Visual Studio Community 2017 (Free) + pick all of the C# and python related install option to get demo projects for both options. It's a *really* fast way to see some of what's going on.

Add into the mix something like Django+Gunicorn+NGINX+Postgres Using Docker *after* you have a bit of an idea for a framework and it will get you mostly up to speed quickly.

What is REST?

Godspeed sir.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm in a similar situation at work, I keep telling them to hire someone who knows wtf they're doing, but they're giving me as long as I need to pick it up.
Same. I was forced to take over our IBMi-AS/400 after our sysop up and quit one day. My experience consists of Windows based servers only and find it amazing they entrust their entire backend with someone who rarely logged into it beforehand. Trying to communicate with vendors and technical resources has been a fucking chore because the terminology between the 2 isn't nearly the same.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Big powah can u give me a database schema of the tables that u want??

fuck it. Ill built it for you.

Need a customer table
A backup alert table
A monitor alert table

Thats all I really need right now

Customer Table needs to have name and ID
Backup Alert Needs to have a tie to customer table, needs to have a datetime field, and a status (which will be one of 3; Fail, Success, In Progress)
Monitor Alert needs to have tie to customer table, Alert Type, Alert Description, Machine Name, Datetime, and a T/F for Resolved

I will be adding Anti-Virus alerts later when our email-parser guy figures out how to tie our anti-virus alerts to a client (too generic of emails currently)

Emails will be parsed, enter data into these fields and shit (being done by a guy on my team who has experience with that SPECIFIC item). Web app needs to query database and grab, color code, and re-arrange the results of the queries.

Am I doing it right?

This is for the basic internal dashboard I am building right now. I eventually want to expand it but this is what needs to be done ASAP according to my VP.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Same. I was forced to take over our IBMi-AS/400 after our sysop up and quit one day. My experience consists of Windows based servers only and find it amazing they entrust their entire backend with someone who rarely logged into it beforehand. Trying to communicate with vendors and technical resources has been a fucking chore because the terminology between the 2 isn't nearly the same.

I inherited an AS/400 a few jobs ago. The OS and FS are weird as fuck compared to anything else out there. Most places really don't have an option of just finding an experienced AS/400 admin though so I think it's pretty common to just throw the new guy at it, give him the IBM support number and wish him luck.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
That's basically what happened. The phone calls usually have awkward silences when I explain what I'm trying to accomplish, because the people on the other end of the call are just as clueless about the Windows equivalents.