IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I'm completely out of my element here...So I'm not sure if the above info is enough?
half way there

So costumer table is a simple ID (unique) plus Name(nvarchar 500). simple enough no issue.

Backup Alert Needs to have a tie to customer table, needs to have a datetime field, and a status (which will be one of 3; Fail, Success, In Progress)

BackUpAlertTable
BackUpAlertId (int Unique)
CustomerId (Foreign Key to Customer)
DateTime "AlertTime" (required or not?), im guessing yes
Status Int (Foreign Key to LkpStatuses) (lkp = lookup)

LkpStatus
Id (int)
Name Nvarchar(100) "StatusName"

Monitor Alert needs to have tie to customer table, Alert Type, Alert Description, Machine Name, Datetime, and a T/F for Resolved
MonitorAlertTable
MonitorAlertTableId (Int unique)
AlertType(missing data type, assuming varchar)
Alert Description varchar(1024)
MachineName (varchar500)
AlertDate Datetime,
Resolved, Bit, default to false).

What you are missing is writing out how the components would interact with each other, what writes data to these tables. Is there another system that would write data to these tables?
You mention color code... what is color code, is it part of the Back alert property? a fixed relation? What drives it?

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
half way there

So costumer table is a simple ID (unique) plus Name(nvarchar 500). simple enough no issue.

Backup Alert Needs to have a tie to customer table, needs to have a datetime field, and a status (which will be one of 3; Fail, Success, In Progress)

BackUpAlertTable
BackUpAlertId (int Unique)
DateTime "AlertTime" (required or not?), im guessing yes
Status Int (Foreign Key to LkpStatuses) (lkp = lookup)

LkpStatus
Id (int)
Name Nvarchar(100) "StatusName"

Monitor Alert needs to have tie to customer table, Alert Type, Alert Description, Machine Name, Datetime, and a T/F for Resolved
MonitorAlertTable
MonitorAlertTableId (Int unique)
AlertType(missing data type, assuming varchar)
Alert Description varchar(1024)
MachineName (varchar500)
AlertDate Datetime,
Resolved, Bit, default to false).

What you are missing is writing out how the components would interact with each other, what writes data to these tables. Is there another system that would write data to these tables?
You mention color code... what is color code, is it part of the Back alert property? a fixed relation? What drives it?

A separate system being developed by one of my team is going to parse out emails, pick data out of those emails, and place into the appropriate fields in the database. That isn't something I'm worrying about.

AlertDate would be required in each table.

The web page is designed to pull each row of data from the tables, and present that data in a sorted set of rows.

Color coding would be, for the backup alerts, based on the status. Red would be failed, yellow would be in progress, green would be success.

Gotcha for backup alerts; Only want to show the most recent event per client.

For the monitor alerts, red would be if resolved=false, green would be if resolved=true.

Alert Type would be binary, server or client pc

The webpage is going to conditionally order things. For backups, failures go to the top, in progress below that, success at the bottom.

For Monitor alerts, you would have unresolved at top, resolved below. Within resolved or unresolved it would sort server first, client pc second. Group by client.

And of course, for the monitor alerts there would be a limit on total number shown. This is being decided upon still?

Am I getting closer?

Also, I GREATLY appreciate your help.

Last edited:

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
You are getting closer. you are 90% there.
that is a much better writeup for requirements.

Install Vs2017 community edition and install SQL server development edition on your local PC.

SQL Server Downloads | Microsoft

Im assuming your company has a SQL license for production.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How do you want to do this? do you want to do this so you can learn?

Or you just want the zip at the end?

I can figuratively walk you step by step of the process.

Either way you are going ot need those programs installed.

so download and install Visual studio 2017 community edition and SQL server 2017developer edition.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
How do you want to do this? do you want to do this so you can learn?

Or you just want the zip at the end?

I can figuratively walk you step by step of the process.

Either way you are going ot need those programs installed.

so download and install Visual studio 2017 community edition and SQL server 2017developer edition.

I do want to do this to learn.

I am leaving the office in the next hour to handle a family emergency (Dad going in for like "omgwtfbbq" emergency cancer surgery) so I'll be back in town Monday and get those installed.

Again, I appreciate this.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Basically create a database to manage project information for metal building estimation, design, and drafting. We currently have an Access database managing all of it, and its woefully inadequate for what we really need, and there's almost 0 automation. I'm taking the quarter to get a giant flowchart done, cause the company has never even thought about what automation might look like, should help get them prepared for when it does come. We also have to convince the President of the company that a custom solution is the only way to go, and getting someone else to develop it would be a nightmare.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Basically create a database to manage project information for metal building estimation, design, and drafting. We currently have an Access database managing all of it, and its woefully inadequate for what we really need, and there's almost 0 automation. I'm taking the quarter to get a giant flowchart done, cause the company has never even thought about what automation might look like, should help get them prepared for when it does come. We also have to convince the President of the company that a custom solution is the only way to go, and getting someone else to develop it would be a nightmare.

What do you men "manage project Information". It is a very broad term. Do yo have a screen shot of access u can share, so we can see? Blured out critical information =)

What technology?
Do you need help designing the tables?

The best advise I can give you is write it out as if you were explaining it to a 5 year old.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Naw, we've got a SQL consultant, and yeah I used a very broad term on purpose, it's way too much to get into just for kicks. I think I'm going about it the right way, we've had huge problems with technology at the company and it's viewed almost 100% as a bad thing anytime we release something new. Getting a flowchart together that ties database operations to specific business operations is the first step, and it's gonna take months.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
uh use confluence or something like that if you need a document tree store, don't use a database. Hell there's probably a million free solutions. Github pages even.

Needless

Toe Sucker
dear god finding a small bug sometimes can drive a man crazy, i spent like 4 hours at least trying to figure out a bug with react native/redux

turns out it was ES6's destructuring fucking up because i had an object named 'claim' which also had a property within the object named 'claim' so it was trying to destructure itself

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

edit: on the plus side, it gave me a pretty good idea of how that works now lol

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
destructuring is pretty cool. is like reverse creation =)

var foo = ['one', 'two', 'three'];

var [one, two, three] = foo;
console.log(one); // "one"
console.log(two); // "two"
console.log(three); // "three"

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ex-genj

Golden Squire
yeah then you get carried away with it and it all becomes somewhat of a shitshow when you start destructuring into object keys which for random reasons are in brackets? My current react app has like 10 calls to a single function per page that I copy paste everywhere:

JavaScript:
updateState = (stateName, value) => {

this.setState({[stateName], value})

}

Last edited:

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I had a conversation with our product architect and I'm not sure how I should react to it. My apologies if this isn't the right thread.

We're looking for another software test engineer, someone whom I would manage. This is my first time sitting in on the technical question part of the interview. We asked him to implement %X, path elision, and some general questions regarding control flow graphs. I was fine with the first one, it's pretty simple and you can hang a lot of test-related questions on it. Path elision, well, I hadn't even heard of that outside of that scenario, so I had trouble with it myself. And I haven't touched control flow graphs since college. I'm not even sure I did that in college(computer engineering), maybe just bits and pieces I've picked up working here.

So, I'm getting kind of annoyed, why are we asking this guy questions that aren't directly relevant? If I did this stuff frequently, they would be familiar and easy to me. I want to see how he handles questions relating to testing and QA. After confirming with the product architect(he's not my superior, but pretty much is in a de facto manner) that these are the questions he wants asked, he tells me he wants a good programmer so that he doesn't have to edit the test system for us. He does this from time to time when the task at hand is large and complicated enough.

I'm pretty pissed at this point, but I argue that trying to fix this situation through hiring only is a flawed approach. Why not try to improve the skills of those already hired as well? He says we're overworked(which is true) so there's no time for that. It's like this pseudo catch 22: I want to get better because I'm tired of this prick making everyone feel bad(he's a huge fan of negative reinforcement) for not being as good as him, but there's no time to do that. I spend maybe 10% of my day coding.

He told me to go take some computer science classes. I dropped the matter at that point. I feel like he's pretty much evaluated my skills and isn't going to make any effort to invest in them.

I don't know how to frame this to my manager that would actually be productive(more time coding).