IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
The pen testing people that we hired to test our hub were next to useless. Definitely closer to mindless automatons just following a script. For a software test engineer, I want people that wrote that script and the accompanying software.

Pentesting =/= paying someone to run a nessus scan. So many "security" companies sell pentests with just that in mind and it is a disgrace to the industry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Pentesting =/= paying someone to run a nessus scan. So many "security" companies sell pentests with just that in mind and it is a disgrace to the industry.
We've had outside "assessments" done for a while, then hired a different firm for a quick turnaround pen test, and it was night-and-day difference what the second firm was finding versus what the first firm didn't even look for.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So it looks like we're going with a WISA stack and not a LAMP stack for our project cause one of our consultants is familiar with C# and ASP. I guess it's not a huge deal either way, I'm just worried we'll be stuck in a position where it's a pain in the ass to update the framework and it'll be a huge ordeal to get necessary changes pushed through.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
So it looks like we're going with a WISA stack and not a LAMP stack for our project cause one of our consultants is familiar with C# and ASP. I guess it's not a huge deal either way, I'm just worried we'll be stuck in a position where it's a pain in the ass to update the framework and it'll be a huge ordeal to get necessary changes pushed through.

Some people have a hard time updating applications to newer versions of the framework and I honestly never understood why (unless of course they don't have the source anymore). You basically open it in Visual Studio, target the new framework, then right click all of the squiggly lines and let it refactor for you. Whatever doesn't work out, you can usually figure out how to rewrite on your own in a few minutes. I've done this for many applications that "couldn't be updated!" over the years and never encountered much of an issue.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was more thinking about like updating SqlServer or going to a new Windows server version. I really want to get a MEAN stack in here, but don't know anyone with the expertise to walk me through all the little details of it, let alone how to start developing in it.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I was more thinking about like updating SqlServer or going to a new Windows server version. I really want to get a MEAN stack in here, but don't know anyone with the expertise to walk me through all the little details of it, let alone how to start developing in it.

Updating windows and SQL Server is point and click easy shit. You can still run .net 1.1 apps on modern Windows/SQL. I'd have zero worries about long term support on a .NET app.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Im very worried about the "A" in WISA

If it stands for angular you are on a world of hurt.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I want to get y'alls opinion on an argument that's raging at work in regards to unit vs integration testing and what's valuable to test and what isn't.

I'm not sure I can explain this clearly without going into a lot of detail about how or application is constructed. But suffice to say, what is happening, I feel, is that our integration tests are testing way too much of the WebAPI framework itself (which is out of our control) and not our application. They are doing these monolithic end-to-end tests that go from the HTTP service and API controller all the way to the database. Our application follows a pattern of API controller -> DataServiceProvider -> Datastore. Generally speaking, our API controllers do nothing more than call a service provider's method -- i.e. "get me data for this id, save this model, etc'. No business logic at all exists in the API controllers.

These integration tests have to go through all this rigmarole setup and teardown that, in my opinion, is a complete waste of time and resources. My argument is that the only real value is testing the service providers as far as integration tests go. As developers we can write unit tests to confirm that a controller is making a call to a provider, but what that provider does I don't give a shit about from the controller's point of view. Also I don't care about HTTP calls to the API controllers because, again, we aren't handling those anyway. The webAPI framework sorts all that stuff out, so why bother testing it? Again, we can write unit tests to confirm that a controller has the correct route and other details -- I don't need to physically make a HTTP call to the controller to make sure "it works".

My assertion is, don't write tests that are mostly just testing the framework (in our case, ASP.NET WebAPI). Another quick example: they will often write tests to confirm data is saved to the database. So, what are you testing? That SQL server works? I've literally seen tests that do only that and aren't actually testing any business logic. In my opinion this is dumb but maybe I'm off base here.

ex-genj

Golden Squire
Fuck tests of code you/your team didn't write i.e. framework/library tests. WTF that's not your problem. Get coverage on shit you did.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
That's why it's called integration testing. You are testing how your system integrates with another. It sounds like you want unit and integration testing to be the same thing. But they aren't.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We don't specifically test postgres itself, but we sure do stress the fuck out of how our product interacts with postgres, including lots of different valid configurations for postgres.

Both are valid and if you think unit testing is lacking, that's one thing, but don't sacrifice integration testing for that.

I think unit tests run during our build, so there's very little responsibility from QA in that regard. If the developer wants unit testing for the code they wrote, they write the unit test and it will be automatically run.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
TLDR; Yes... you need Integration testing, and other testing well beyond *just* Unit tests. Unit testing is only a very small part of the overall testing puzzle in larger applications. At best Unit and Integration testing are equally important, at worst much of Unit testing is of dubious benefit. Research cows have not come home yet with a conclusive verdict and the jury is still out on most of the claimed benefits of TDD.

I want to get y'alls opinion on an argument that's raging at work in regards to unit vs integration testing and what's valuable to test and what isn't.
From my experience here are a few.....
In my opinion this is dumb but maybe I'm off base here.

I would highly suggest reading up some more on your own and reconsidering this opinion before engaging your peers @ work.

Perhaps you might want to consider backing off the Unit testing Koolaid a little and drink up a little reading on various types of testing in the software lifecycle. The whole TDD and Unit testing obsession might be well intentioned (and has potential for many benefits) but in practice is often giving new generations of developers a false sense of security.

I feel, is that our integration tests are testing way too much of the WebAPI framework itself (which is out of our control) and not our application.
<snip>
Again, we can write unit tests to confirm that a controller has the correct route and other details -- I don't need to physically make a HTTP call to the controller to make sure "it works".

Think of the whole application not just your little individual parts. How are you going to test your *external* dependencies? And how will your pieces of code work and interact in reality with other developers code and external services? Remember Unit tests work in *isolation* only *mocking* many interactions right? How do you intend to REALLY test those *mocked* interactions?

Another quick example: they will often write tests to confirm data is saved to the database. So, what are you testing? That SQL server works? I've literally seen tests that do only that and aren't actually testing any business logic.

Hmm, this is an actual real test of your application and ideally what you WANT to do in testing: ie check whether you and your team developed a solution that actually works in real life, as opposed to mock white box testing of theory of components in isolation.

Integration testing > Unit testing
(real system components actually being tested for *real* interactions) > (mocked system components tested in isolation).
> : means it is AT LEAST as important as. Both have their place​

Think of testing this way though. You want a comprehensive testing framework to ferret out as many types of bugs and issues as possible. Unit tests really only cover a small trivial subset of potential bugs. The most difficult and important bugs often come from unpredicted, unforeseen and untested interactions and effects beyond your unit level design implementation.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
TLDR; Yes... you need Integration testing, and other testing well beyond *just* Unit tests. Unit testing is only a very small part of the overall testing puzzle in larger applications. At best Unit and Integration testing are equally important, at worst much of Unit testing is of dubious benefit. Research cows have not come home yet with a conclusive verdict and the jury is still out on most of the claimed benefits of TDD.

From my experience here are a few.....
I would highly suggest reading up some more on your own and reconsidering this opinion before engaging your peers @ work.

Perhaps you might want to consider backing off the Unit testing Koolaid a little and drink up a little reading on various types of testing in the software lifecycle. The whole TDD and Unit testing obsession might be well intentioned (and has potential for many benefits) but in practice is often giving new generations of developers a false sense of security.

Think of the whole application not just your little individual parts. How are you going to test your *external* dependencies? And how will your pieces of code work and interact in reality with other developers code and external services? Remember Unit tests work in *isolation* only *mocking* many interactions right? How do you intend to REALLY test those *mocked* interactions?

Hmm, this is an actual real test of your application and ideally what you WANT to do in testing: ie check whether you and your team developed a solution that actually works in real life, as opposed to mock white box testing of theory of components in isolation.

Integration testing > Unit testing
(real system components actually being tested for *real* interactions) > (mocked system components tested in isolation).
> : means it is AT LEAST as important as. Both have their place​

Think of testing this way though. You want a comprehensive testing framework to ferret out as many types of bugs and issues as possible. Unit tests really only cover a small trivial subset of potential bugs. The most difficult and important bugs often come from unpredicted, unforeseen and untested interactions and effects beyond your unit level design implementation.
Yeah I'm not suggesting (at all) that unit testing is good enough and not to bother with integration testing. What am I saying is don't waste your time doing loads of integration tests that test components of your system that you did not develop and have no control over.

But here is another silly example:

Say you are developing a new GPS app for a car. One of the requirements is that when the driver turns their car the screen rotates to orient the new position. Would you write tests to confirm that when the driver turns their steering wheel that the wheels of the car actually turn? My point is, NO you would not. I think it's safe to assume the car's steering wheel is actually doing what it's supposed to.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I'm not suggesting (at all) that unit testing is good enough and not to bother with integration testing. What am I saying is don't waste your time doing loads of integration tests that test components of your system that you did not develop and have no control over.

But here is another silly example:

Say you are developing a new GPS app for a car. One of the requirements is that when the driver turns their car the screen rotates to orient the new position. Would you write tests to confirm that when the driver turns their steering wheel that the wheels of the car actually turn? My point is, NO you would not. I think it's safe to assume the car's steering wheel is actually doing what it's supposed to.
I would definitely prioritize low, but I wouldn't write that scenario off completely. Maybe your GPS system interacts with car's bus such that it interferes with how the steering wheel talks to the wheels. Yes, that's a bit ludicrous since I think that should all be mechanical, but pick to other systems that seem like they should be unrelated.

Hackers recently showed they could get to just about any part of your car via your radio. Some of it was ridiculously easy because subsystems like the brakes' linux installation had an IRC client running.

Prioritize correctly but don't write off completely the value of integration testing.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Have no fear.

the Windows Iis Sql Asp.net stack is the best stack out there in term of upgrade and backwards compatibility.

Microsoft things just work out of the box and with minimal configuration. Just look at the example I made, that is a WISA example. It is solid and time tested, and it will suffice for most of your needs.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Yeah we're doing exactly that. However, our test team is also writing tests that new up HttpClient to call the endpoints. My argument is that doing this is pointless and proves nothing (other than, yes, IIS is works).
It is pointless, you would have to setup a katana / OWN application on the fly on your test engine. Because you need to create an environment to host the web API.

Something like this

OWIN/Katana in-memory integration testing | StrathWeb. A free flowing web tech monologue.