IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vinen

God is dead
Anyone have any recommendations on North American 'developer' conventions? my boss asked me this morning to look into some but theres a stupid amount of them now.

This would primarily be for PHP/React/JS in general.

So Frontend Developer Conference. Not aware of any. Probably is but they are all a waste of money and are purely for networking/drinking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of conferences I'll be hitting up VMWorld this year. Haven't been since like 2009 so hopefully it's as good or better than it was then.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Found the programmers error in the code I was tasked to review knowing next to nothing on coding. I had listed all the inputs needed and the formula to follow to get the needed result. The info pulled from the database is already labeled so I followed that, so "t" in the manual was "t" etc...I had a whole paragraph for someone to use (non computer program) labeled brace clearence and a description clearence in inches from brace to support beam. Listed it as normally 3/4" inch. In the program he had the input as a negative. So 3/4" clearence turned out to be -3/4" which really didn't work that well trying to share space.

Took a while but I tracked it down lol. I dicked around with Visual Studio and stole some examples of calculators using C# and substitued all my stuff and inputs and came up with a workable deal. If I was motivated and skilled I'd put in a pic of what input was what to make it easier, but I'm not.

Yah me lol.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Hex

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks to my employer and a vendor I was able to attend Defcon 26 this weekend, also my first time ever attending Defcon. Holy shit having experienced it I am going to try and make it a yearly event going forward if I can. Probably the most fun I've had in a while and a lot of the presentations and talks were neat and gave me a few ideas to use at work for incident response and security awareness. I will say this trying to adhere to a schedule is difficult if some of the talks/presentations you want to see are close by time wise. Lines and walking between Caesar's and the Flamingo made it bit of a hassle. That's about the only complaint I have though.

One of my friends insisted I check out Hacker Jeopardy, he wouldn't tell me what it was like or what I was in for. It was probably the funniest thing I've attended in a long time. I knew it was worth the wait the second a dude in a referee outfit rode by on a mobility scooter with a giant middle finger flag waving in the back chanting "Don't fuck it up!" with the crowd gathered chanting along with him. The line waiting to get in were smacking beach balls around in the air trying to get them stuck in the chandeliers and up on the ledges around the ceiling.

tl;dr if you were ever on the edge about going DO IT, the community is great and the talks/villages are worth checking out.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Vinen

God is dead
Speaking of conferences I'll be hitting up VMWorld this year. Haven't been since like 2009 so hopefully it's as good or better than it was then.

We should meet up. I'm speaking this year.

I only missed 2013 out of the last 8 or so years.

• 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
Nice! what's your session? I'll try and attend it.

Soon as I know the # I will let you know. Its not visible yet... There has been some hiccups in the content catalog. It will be MGT [something]
Presenting with 2 large customers on DevOps use-cases for vRealize Automation & vRealize Codestream.

Vinen

God is dead
It's not listed due to NDA. Soon as it appears in the Catalog will give you a heads up.

Siliconemelons Siliconemelons : Next year should be in San Fransisco. Not really looking forward to it being there. City grosses me out as they can't deal with the homeless situation. Smells like shit and piss everywhere near the Moscone.

Siliconemelons

Yeah, I attempted to look at where it would be- haven't seen an exact here-there-here-there as sometimes it was Vegas 2 times then san fran once..

So we priced it for Vegas and this year's hotel cost... I have been to Vegas, so I would like to visit sanfran... but my "rightism" makes me ewwww at the lefty land lol :)

Anywho - I am looking forward to going either location.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If I may rant for a moment.

I've been on a project for two years now under a tech lead. Essentially it's been me doing all the coding while he oversees it all. Additional to that is we have a 3rd person, usually new college hire but they stay for 3 months and get placed elsewhere. These kids are barely learning the code and rotating off, but I always need to train them. Lately we've had 3 of them on our project and my tech lead is around <10 hours a week.

I've been told to figure out which ones fit best and keep one of them and recommend the others get moved off. I'm also making all the tech lead decisions when, although I'm pretty knowledgeable now, I am no expert. It's to the point that where others in the company are seeking me out for answers.

This is fucked up and burning me out hard. At this point I'm spending 75% of my day reviewing code, answering questions, or seeing demos.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds like a good way to get a promotion. 100% not joking. I know, coding's the fun part.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So basically it was a new college grad, then an older Indian woman (literally no idea on age, older than me I think), and a recent college grad (1 year). All three of them have their own weaknesses, but the 1 year guy really took to the code base and our cadence with dev... So of course they took him off. The new college grad is essentially a blank slate but he doesn't know anything. The woman has some experience but, no joking, when she talks I can barely understand her so I have no idea her experience. She's been slamming out code changes before I can even code review and it's driving me nuts. She is NOT attractive.

As for a promotion, it's very weird in the defense world. They favor tenure over skill level, so I have no hopes for that.

At my yearly review my boss again mentioned he knows this work isn't challenging for me. It isn't that I'm above this work, it's just very slow and very high level (50/50 GUI and backend work). I came from writing UEFI/BIOS which is extremely complicated. Anyways, he asked me if I was interested in more responsibility and working towards a management style and I told him yes. At this point in my life I'm going to go where the money is. I'm an accomplished coder and I feel I can adapt to any job, but also I need to look beyond just what's fun.

I do feel I'm being groomed for something like taking over the tech lead spot, but we're talking about me with 2 years experience vs our current tech lead with 20 - even if he's never around.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I have to sit in on some meetings where the company is wanting to hire some contract/freelance help to make some stuff. Nothing major (but I'm not a programmer) most of it could be self contained programs that are run on said computer 24/7 and be the only thing running for a user to interface with, and have limited stuff it does. Mostly on computers in the shop that are there to do something else like control large CNC equipment. But would be nice if they had a thing for the operator to look up stuff, calculate stuff without having to load it and such.

Anyway any ideas what I should ask the person other than asking for examples and have you ever done this type of stuff?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ask them if they know how to program a gui in visual basic. You know, to track a killer's IP address.

More seriously(or maybe not? if they don't laugh at that, don't hire the person), what you're asking for sounds pretty simple. Unless there's something you're not telling us, which is understandable since you're not a programmer, that sounds like entry level work. My question would be to have the person work through the question itself at a high level, maybe even pseudo code level. Tell them it's related what you want them to work on or not, probably doesn't matter. Some one does a satisfactory job in an arbitrary amount of time(half hour?), hire them and tell them to finish the job.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So Frontend Developer Conference. Not aware of any. Probably is but they are all a waste of money and are purely for networking/drinking.

The best alternative would be conferences for designers.

Designers are ALWAYS looking for a front-end guy that can do their work justice. They're hard to find and loved when they're found.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Noodleface Noodleface do you know how to configure an UEFI Bios to boot from a secondary harddrive?

I took my old laptop harddrive Window 7 and putit on my new laptop, comes with windows 10 on those integrated hardrives.

How do i configure the Dell bios to load the windows 7 harddrive?