IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Whelp,

I have a second interview today for a job I really want. Small pay raise, but it sounds like a much more fun job.

Wish me luck.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Submitted my two Use Case Summaries (High Level and User Level) to the VP this morning and he loved it. Lendarios Lendarios , beer on me any time you're in town or I can venmo some cash, this really helped me out.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Don't know if anyone else has gone through the process that is a PRI (periodic reinvestigation for clearance) but I'm coming up on 25 months since I filled out the eqip and about 5 months since I had my interview.

About 3 months ago, the interviewer contacted me for help getting ahold of someone that could verify employment with my current company... -_- ... The title of "investigator," is not fitting at all. It's not that big of deal since I'm employed, but it's been holding up my SCI and TS without SCI may as well just be secret.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah you can definitely get by without it. The main reason why I want it finished is because my contract will be up for rebid at the end of this year and if I get lowballed I want to be able to split.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I mean there's intrinsic value in having it anyways. I'm just afraid something like my credit history would bother them from when I was younger and look like an idiot.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
TS is not as extensive as it gets made out to be. As long as you don't have major debts now then previous credit history won't matter. Most people who get denied actually get denied for interim (which is common if you have basically any deviation) because they can't start working right away and don't keep the job. If they were to complete the whole process I'd say 9 out of 10 people who get denied interim ultimately get favorably adjudicated for TS.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
TS is not as extensive as it gets made out to be. As long as you don't have major debts now then previous credit history won't matter. Most people who get denied actually get denied for interim (which is common if you have basically any deviation) because they can't start working right away and don't keep the job. If they were to complete the whole process I'd say 9 out of 10 people who get denied interim ultimately get favorably adjudicated for TS.
IIRC, it took around 18 months for my TS/SSBI to go through. No idea what held it up, though it was about 15 years ago.

Just be glad you don't have to be on PRP, biggest pain in the ass.

AF improves its personnel reliability program > U.S. Air Force > Article Display

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Have an interview setup Monday for a position at a data center. Ive been at my current job 3 years now and its definitely time to move on. Getting tired telling morons to use the account unlock and password reset feature.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
My initial TS took like 5 months. Everyone was amazed. The renewals are stupid slow for everyone though since they are lower priority.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even for my lowly secret for me it was between 3-4 months I think but there are people here waiting over a year still. Mostly people with foreign family

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Any C++ experts here? I'm currently taking a course on Data Structures and Algorithms in C++. The professor has given us a header file for us to implement a Stack. However, I think the header file is slightly incorrect:

Code:
template <typename E>
class Stack {
public:
    Stack();          
        ~Stack();   
    void push(const E& e);
    const E& pop();
    const E& top() const; 
    int size () const;
    bool empty() const;

Take note of the pop() method. It is returning a reference to an element that exists in the stack. However, this element has been removed from the stack -- so how could it possibly return a reference to it? It would have to be a copy, right? I'm trying to convince the professor this is wrong since we're not supposed to modify the header file other than for private members.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Why do you pop an element off a stack? Also what is the state of the stack once it’s popped?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Any C++ experts here? I'm currently taking a course on Data Structures and Algorithms in C++. The professor has given us a header file for us to implement a Stack. However, I think the header file is slightly incorrect:

Code:
template <typename E>
class Stack {
public:
    Stack();         
        ~Stack();  
    void push(const E& e);
    const E& pop();
    const E& top() const;
    int size () const;
    bool empty() const;

Take note of the pop() method. It is returning a reference to an element that exists in the stack. However, this element has been removed from the stack -- so how could it possibly return a reference to it? It would have to be a copy, right? I'm trying to convince the professor this is wrong since we're not supposed to modify the header file other than for private members.
Why do you think removing an element from a container means there can't be a reference to it?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Why do you pop an element off a stack? Also what is the state of the stack once it’s popped?

You pop because that's a Stack operation. One implementation of the Stack is a Linked-List. So the element in question is attached to a Node structure. In the pop() method I'm doing something like

Code:
T element = currentNode->e;
Node temp = currentNode
// adjust pointers from previous and next Nodes
delete temp

return e;

So "e" is a local variable at this point. Obviously you can't return a reference to that. So that's my question -- how on Earth could the pop() method EVER return a reference to anything? It would have to be a copy.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
You pop because that's a Stack operation. One implementation of the Stack is a Linked-List. So the element in question is attached to a Node structure. In the pop() method I'm doing something like

Code:
T element = currentNode->e;
Node temp = currentNode
// adjust pointers from previous and next Nodes
delete temp

return e;

So "e" is a local variable at this point. Obviously you can't return a reference to that. So that's my question -- how on Earth could the pop() method EVER return a reference to anything? It would have to be a copy.
But whatever was popped is still a thing in memory. Why would you not be able to reference it?