IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Kiki

Log Wizard
It was hard in Austin to move around for sure. Even overqualified with someone on the inside it was impossible. I got out of there before they laid off my entire floor of 400 people at Dell luckily.

Now, I'm in the same boat, the only way to move up is to hit management and is it really worth it to uproot my home and put my head on a chopping block with more stress?

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
man fuck AWS and their SQS shitty .net implemenation.
why only 10 messages at a time? why??

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Talked with my friend, an engineer 1 at work today about promotions coincidentally. He said "I've been here 2.5 years, have a ton of responsibilities, but no promotion, I don't get it."

I let him down easy guys I promise

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Where I work our engineers are given titles of "Junior Software Developer" and "Software Engineer I-IV".

Is anyone else like that or similar? And, if so, how does one graduate from one title to another? So far, for us, it seems as if you're hired at a particular rank and are forever stuck there as there is no clear mechanism from moving up the ladder.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
And, on another topic, does anyone else have a developer on their team that just loves creating their own custom solutions to common problems?

Case in point, we needed a logging mechanism for our software and one of the developers decided to just make his own. Stuff like this irriates the hell out of me since there are a crap load of open source libs out there that are full featured and time tested. There is zero reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to common functionality.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Where I work our engineers are given titles of "Junior Software Developer" and "Software Engineer I-IV".

Is anyone else like that or similar? And, if so, how does one graduate from one title to another? So far, for us, it seems as if you're hired at a particular rank and are forever stuck there as there is no clear mechanism from moving up the ladder.

All too common. That's why I've rarely worked at one place for more than 3 years otherwise you basically have to wait on a guy to die or retire so you can take his spot. If you are really lucky, I guess your company could expand and make room for more upper level positions.

And, on another topic, does anyone else have a developer on their team that just loves creating their own custom solutions to common problems?

Case in point, we needed a logging mechanism for our software and one of the developers decided to just make his own. Stuff like this irriates the hell out of me since there are a crap load of open source libs out there that are full featured and time tested. There is zero reason to reinvent the wheel when it comes to common functionality.

Where I work it's pretty common to roll our own stuff or at least heavily customize open source stuff for a variety of reasons. I don't particularly care either way as long as it has good documentation.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Being that are stuff is classified a lot of solution s are highly customizable. We can't just say "we need this library for this small feature". It takes forever to get approved so unless it's required for a large part of the code just isn't gonna happen.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Being that are stuff is classified a lot of solution s are highly customizable. We can't just say "we need this library for this small feature". It takes forever to get approved so unless it's required for a large part of the code just isn't gonna happen.
So I assume your solutions aren't using NodeJs whose any given library will have a million dependencies.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

Ya, big DoD where I used to work was same ranking but promotions were solely based on time at company. I had a guy I worked with, hired at the same time, and had been mischarging time for 2 years (working part time charging full time) get my same promotion.

That's when I decided to leave. Promotions solely based on time spent are bullshit. Make that shit merit based.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I love C/C++

I'm an embedded guy at heart

Ya I love c for embedded, anything else newpp, love Java. Haven't touched C++ really. Actually have a job interview for a pretty sweet company for an embedded position later this week. Gonna give embedded another go.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Ya I love c for embedded, anything else newpp, love Java. Haven't touched C++ really. Actually have a job interview for a pretty sweet company for an embedded position later this week. Gonna give embedded another go.
if you like Java then you'll love C# and the newer .NET Core framework. Total pleasure to work with.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
if you like Java then you'll love C# and the newer .NET Core framework. Total pleasure to work with.
I just don't see C# being used enough or .net in job postings I'm interested in. Seems like .net has a negative stigma around big tech. Was aiming for either big tech or some more innovative smaller companies. Embedded jobs usually pay way hella good from my experience, same with any back end that isn't faux software engineering. After spending the last few months doing a personal front end project I've decided the pay isn't worth it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I love C more than C++ that's for sure

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I only have experience in the Windows desktop world (C# and WPF) and web development with the Microsoft stack (ASP.NET WebForms, MVC, WebAPI), plus Angular and VueJs for client-side.

So, having said that, what exactly does embedded development involve? I assume these are small'ish systems and, as a result, aren't huge monolithic pieces of software?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I only have experience in the Windows desktop world (C# and WPF) and web development with the Microsoft stack (ASP.NET WebForms, MVC, WebAPI), plus Angular and VueJs for client-side.

So, having said that, what exactly does embedded development involve? I assume these are small'ish systems and, as a result, aren't huge monolithic pieces of software?
Everything around you that has electronics in it heh. Your phone, flight computers, TV's, your cars feedback control systems, complex medical imaging equipment, anything with a MCU in it which is just about everything. So I wouldn't really refer to all embedded baselines being smallish by any means.

Here's the baseline for the px4, for example.
PX4/Firmware