IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I work for a defense contractor. It's not very glorious that's for sure. But it's stable

I might look for a more lucrative job later this year

Oh ya it is. Very stable, good money. There were lots of tradeoffs. My product had over half our our deliveries/programs always being scrapped and had crazy long deadlines (1-3 years). We would deliver 600k of product to an airforce base only for them to warehouse it indefinitely.... Really made me cringe at the waste of taxpayer dollars. I left, I just wanted a job that was more challenging, and had more customer interaction. People's experience in DoD seems to vary though, I'm just salty because mine sucked.

Last edited:

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I work for a defense contractor. It's not very glorious that's for sure. But it's stable

I might look for a more lucrative job later this year

Noodleface Noodleface side note - what sort of tech are you using? My product had a 20 year old c baseline.... We used svn and Trac.. everything was so archaic.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I typically use UI toolkits/frameworks that have already worked out the buggy, cross-platform bullshit. Anyway, what's your code look like?

So I found a website that on desktop pretty much has the scroll functionality I want. Jony Guedj - Film Maker

Trackpad any direction scrolls horizontal, mousewheel scrolls horizontal, winner. Looked at the code and tried to trace through it but that level of JS is a lil over my head so I may circle back with some JS tutorials for a few days.

If you have any suggestions on how to reverse engineering that scroll functionality I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleface Noodleface side note - what sort of tech are you using? My product had a 20 year old c baseline.... We used svn and Trac.. everything was so archaic.
Clear case which is both good and bad

Everything is written in c++ and for once it's actual c++ and not some.bastardization of C with classes. Code base is a couple years old but borrowed heavily from an older program

Our unit tests are written using googletest and our live testing is done on Jenkins jobs

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Clear case which is both good and bad

Everything is written in c++ and for once it's actual c++ and not some.bastardization of C with classes. Code base is a couple years old but borrowed heavily from an older program

Our unit tests are written using googletest and our live testing is done on Jenkins jobs
Ahh ok, not bad! We didn't even do unit testing 🤣

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So I found a website that on desktop pretty much has the scroll functionality I want. Jony Guedj - Film Maker

Trackpad any direction scrolls horizontal, mousewheel scrolls horizontal, winner. Looked at the code and tried to trace through it but that level of JS is a lil over my head so I may circle back with some JS tutorials for a few days.

If you have any suggestions on how to reverse engineering that scroll functionality I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Briefly looked at that site -- seems like custom javascript. I'll look at it more in-depth later.

However, quick search found "Owl Carousel" which seems to function like the site you linked?

Mousewheel Demo | Owl Carousel | 2.3.4

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Briefly looked at that site -- seems like custom javascript. I'll look at it more in-depth later.

However, quick search found "Owl Carousel" which seems to function like the site you linked?

Thanks man.

I just tried that on osx chrome/ff. Trackpad doesn't really work at all, it just kinda jumps I imagine because it's kinda got that snap scrolling effect to the next idea rather than the smooth slider effect I'm looking for.

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
After doing more research I'm not convinced what I want is possible without it being a hack job that would potentially not always work. I'll link the code sometime today. Thanks for offering to give feedback.

What toolkits/frameworks do you normally use?
Semantic UI

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Semantic UI

Hey sadris sadris , looking through semantics right now. Really cool stuff. Did you mention it because you thought it could solve my scrolling issue?

Also for anyone doing web - How important is it to you that your website remain functional if user has javascript disabled? Is that thought line just dated? Asking because it seems these frameworks are JS heavy. Should I just tell my non-JS users to get boned?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So I'm thinking about my next career move. Has anyone transitioned to anything law enforcement related (local or federal)? Something like Cyber intelligence etc?

I looked into the NSA and FBI and both are no gos because wife wouldn't move. NSA has a handful of offices and FBI requires immediate relocation.

Thought about looking into the state police cyber division but wasn't sure if I'd already need to be a trooper for that

Just talking out loud I guess. I had a midlife crisis where I decided I wanted to do something to benefit society but maybe that's a fleeting dream

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
So I'm thinking about my next career move. Has anyone transitioned to anything law enforcement related (local or federal)? Something like Cyber intelligence etc?

I looked into the NSA and FBI and both are no gos because wife wouldn't move. NSA has a handful of offices and FBI requires immediate relocation.

Thought about looking into the state police cyber division but wasn't sure if I'd already need to be a trooper for that

Just talking out loud I guess. I had a midlife crisis where I decided I wanted to do something to benefit society but maybe that's a fleeting dream

Hmm. I have a friend who works for the CIA. It's pretty intense, of course he had to get a TS with poly and I was interviewed and he can't say shit to his wife. Haven't heard from him in a few years.

Have you considered staying in DoD in moving to a cyber security program? Lockheed has some security stuff in Colorado (boulder and golden I believe). You said wife wouldn't move though - what area are you in?

Another option would be to try to go to private industry and work remotely, could be a cool option with more innovative tech. I have a friend who runs a security awareness startup with an NSA buddy that I'm sure will be pretty successful given his business track record. Prob lots of security stuff in private industry.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Also for anyone doing web - How important is it to you that your website remain functional if user has javascript disabled? Is that thought line just dated? Asking because it seems these frameworks are JS heavy. Should I just tell my non-JS users to get boned?
I raised this concern when we decided to go with a Javascript client side framework for our web app (instead of a server-side MVC framework). The general feeling was that Javascript is so pervasive at this point that no one will be running their browser with JS scripting off. Of course it depends on your target audience. For us our application is used in healthcare facilities where security is pretty tight so I felt it was a legit concern. Oh well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I raised this concern when we decided to go with a Javascript client side framework for our web app (instead of a server-side MVC framework). The general feeling was that Javascript is so pervasive at this point that no one will be running their browser with JS scripting off. Of course it depends on your target audience. For us our application is used in healthcare facilities where security is pretty tight so I felt it was a legit concern. Oh well.
Thanks for the feedback! Mine is more of a portfolio of design in art - sites like this seem to be heavy on JS with animations and all sorts of stuff. I think I'm not gonna sorry too much on non js functionality.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>

So ends up that website was using greensock for that scrolling effect and I don't have time to learn an animation library and reprogram this site. I did finally find a JQuery plugin that worked though - swiper.js. Seems like it's updated very often to boot.

/Winning

• 1Like

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>

For private sector cyber intel it starts out not-very-technical and trying to demonstrate attribution or attack linkage. For the more technical parts it's Reverse engineering or diving through logs. Quite a few of the companies are moving to remote in private sector, so you could do that (though you'd do an initial on-boarding). You already have developer experience, you could run an application security program pretty easily.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

Are there any forensic computing labs near you? Don't necessarily need to be in law enforcement to help law enforcement.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Just go get a job at Booz Allen and travel for non-local engagements.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I don't even want to put my Exchange servers in the cloud (O365) no matter how much Microsoft is pushing it, and even if e-mail is designed to be latency insensitive, because again you lose so much control, and the integration with other 3rd party systems like mail gateways, Fax servers, workflow products, network scanners, and archiving solutions are now more difficult to implement and troubleshoot. Any changes to exchange that can't be done through powershell are basically off limits, so if you want to tweak something related to say activesync or OWA that requires access to IIS or a config.xml file, your SOL.

O365 is great for small business that don't have many integration
This basically sums up my entire job.

If you don't have an actual Exchange UM server somewhere in your environment, no integrations work. Period. Even easy shit like voicemail. And Microsoft does not tell people this at all.

No big deal when the message waiting indicator light on your phone stops working because you cut over to full cloud O365. No one uses that light, right? No one but the customer's CEO's secretary, and now it is a P1 and everyone is screaming at everyone about who sold this piece of shit system.

New favorite ticket: Customer's call recording is down for 3 days, no one can figure out why. Turns out the install we did for a call recorder package that's supposed to store 10 years worth of calls filled up in <100 days. No one actually thought to look because that wasn't possible, and the project manager never bothered to put in a request to put the SAN on monitoring tools so the NOC never saw it filling up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Vinen

God is dead
Oh ya it is. Very stable, good money. There were lots of tradeoffs. My product had over half our our deliveries/programs always being scrapped and had crazy long deadlines (1-3 years). We would deliver 600k of product to an airforce base only for them to warehouse it indefinitely.... Really made me cringe at the waste of taxpayer dollars. I left, I just wanted a job that was more challenging, and had more customer interaction. People's experience in DoD seems to vary though, I'm just salty because mine sucked.

Stable only until a Democrat is elected.