IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Again, I don' t know Python, only how I would do it in C#. But does this Stackoverflow thread help?

How to dynamically load a Python class

From one of the replies:

Code:
def import_class(cl):
    d = cl.rfind(".")
    classname = cl[d+1:len(cl)]
    m = __import__(cl[0:d], globals(), locals(), [classname])
    return getattr(m, classname)

Problem is, you don't know what "classname" is, right? Only the abstract class name. Which might work? No idea.
I don't, not directly. Python lets the super know about its subs though, so that's what I'm doing. I've been told that's not a good idea though.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I don't, not directly. Python lets the super know about its subs though, so that's what I'm doing. I've been told that's not a good idea though.
I'm not sure why that's a terrible idea if you guys own the code. At least, for testing purposes.

Vinen

God is dead
I'm not sure why that's a terrible idea if you guys own the code. At least, for testing purposes.

Because it completely fucks with the whole concept of OO design. I what world should an object be aware of objects that inherit from it.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Because it completely fucks with the whole concept of OO design. I what world should an object be aware of objects that inherit from it.
This notion is what I've found elsewhere on the web. I'm not sure why __subclasses__() is a builtin if this is such a violation of OO design then.

I might have to go with trusting the third party to instantiate it. Also, python let's you inspect all the classes in a module, though honestly this would be kinda the same thing, just more legwork.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Because testing is **not OO design**. You're not bound by the same principles when it comes writing integration tests.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Screenshotted>
Well just got off the phone from an interview. Went well. Company is doing really cutting edge stuff in their industry. However it's mainly c++ and simulink... Was hoping they would be using languages that are more broadly used. Really don't want to pidgeon hole myself into simulink, c++ isn't as bad.

Anyone have career planning thoughts feel free to chime in. Feel like I'm playing a 4d chess match of trying to get to where I want to be.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm not sure what your aversion to C++ is. I think, from your posts, that you believe it is only used for a few select applications but you'd be surprised to learn how much it actually is used.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
I'm not sure what your aversion to C++ is. I think, from your posts, that you believe it is only used for a few select applications but you'd be surprised to learn how much it actually is used.
Ya I'm actually looking at jobs right now and you're right. It's really not that limiting at all. Plus Id think big tech companies care most about what you did and your problem solving ability than languages you know.

Simulink on the other hand... I've done a bit of Matlab before, can't stand mathworks documentation or lack thereof

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I knew that much as I had to learn it, but thankfully it's mostly phased out now except on old programs. And yes, I've had to write it. And it's awful.

I've never actually seen it in the real world. The syntax looks like VB or something. Seems like a pain in the dick.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I've never actually seen it in the real world. The syntax looks like VB or something. Seems like a pain in the dick.

The first job I landed after University (but didn't accept) was a COBOL developer at Raymond James Financial in Tampa. They interviewed me and gave me a bunch of VB and SQL problems to solve on a shared screen. Then said, " Well we know you didn't study COBOL at all because we've been lobbying to get USF to teach COBOL again for the past 10 years and it's only now beginning to happen. But your job would be re-engineering our legacy COBOL applications to continuously work with modern tools." I did some studying on what that would entail and didn't like what I was seeing.

May have been a bad career move because all of the old retiring cobol engineers are leaving the industry wide open. You could probably demand a pretty high price these days. But still. Fuck cobol.

Then you come to the stark realization that the entire global financial backbone is being ran on 50+ year old mainframes and COBOL... and that all the big financial players spend ludicrous amounts of money trying to figure out how to keep their shit working as time passes them by. And that is truly terrifying.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that whole scramble for COBOL talent thing was happening a lot in the early/mid 2000's. I had to run some big iron at one of my first jobs and learn the JCL and enough COBOL to fix things here and there. COBOL isn't hard, you just don't really build cool shit with it and it's useful scope is pretty narrow. I've also worked with SAP (of which I'd say is probably more prevalent now than mainframe / COBOL) and it's 4GL called ABAP is pretty similar to COBOL. People make big bank being ABAP developers.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Had my performance review today. Pretty standard "you're really going a great job here's your 3% raise"

He still asks me every year if I'm looking at a new job yet. I wonder if I said yes if anything would change. My stuff now is pretty cool.and if I get into DSP work it's going to be even cooler. Imagine using the math you learned in school..

We've got grief counselors here all week and security keeping reporters out. I do wonder what kind of person needs s grief counselors after learning a coworker murdered someone

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So we had a global GM meeting with the CEO Mary Barra. This guy went in to get a question JUST to name drop some dude at a startup so he could get a job or something... he's pretty nuts. But the video he made was lol and the dude he name dropped just got a ton of traffic. He also has a marijuana startup up in Michigan.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
One other thing they brought up was whether or not I wanted to get a master's. I told them flat out I didn't see the value In a 35 year old spending a few years doing that. What do you guys think?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
A masters in what? EE? Do eet. (if they are paying) In CS? why the fuck, NOPE.

Just to add a bit to the above. You seem excited about DSP and learning more about that requires work at masters level. If you are truly interested about it, do the masters. Have them hook you up with Stanford coop masters and do that shit online.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Computer engineering. The bastard degree.

There are logistical issues with me being the only working person and having kids (time constraints)

The_Black_Log Foler

<Screenshotted>
Computer engineering. The bastard degree.

There are logistical issues with me being the only working person and having kids (time constraints)
Honestly see no point unless really required. What's the payoff for you if you have to invest your money? Does it get you closer to where you want to be?

More or less what wormie wormie said. For very specialized things Masters and PhD is necessary. Like creating cutting-edge algorithms in autonomy is usually going to be left up to people with grad level degrees in CS, math, etc and then CE's, CS people with lower level degree will test feasibility by trying to either due a poc simulation or code it out. Or with DSP you could end up designing algorithms and implementing in Matlab.

Tdlr: where do you want to go, what does it cost to get there and what are your options in getting there

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
CE seems wasteful. The program will probably require shit you took in undergrad like architecture and OS.

Find EE with a focus in signals and systems and do that. Squeeze some machine learning and optimization electives into it as that should fit well with all the filtering you would learn.

As for time, learning is more interesting than raiding :D

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't raid anymore. I just mean with a wife and kids, putting meaningful time into school is hard. Also company pays for the degree. Forgot to mention that