IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
So here's where I am after researching this. Keep in mind, information is scattered and the people who are POC's just don't respond to emails.

So my work reimburses $10k/year in educational costs towards a higher degree/cert. There's an advanced study program where they select a few applicants per year to go to Northeastern (or a couple other schools) for a MS/GEL like I listed above.

The big issue is my boss told me two days ago about this, application was due Feb 9th. So I can't apply to this until next year. Kind of a bummer, but I knew it was there the whole time, just never thought about it. So what goes with that, is I can still use $10k for this next year anywhere I want really.

Do I apply to Northeastern and try to go part time? I'm pretty sure the costs are SIGNIFICANT at a private school. Do I apply to my alma mater into their grad program? It'd be $10-12k per year for a part time education there, so some out of pocket costs. However if I do that, I'd need to transfer to Northeastern and I'm not sure that would fly.

Not sure if Northeastern would let me just take one-off classes and later pull them into a degree program in a year.

What would you guys do?
Did you compare their programs? Maybe take a look at any research their doing relative to your interests as well.

Ain't undergrad and you're working professional so name doesn't mean everything imo. Just weigh out the financial cost versus opportunity

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
So here's where I am after researching this. Keep in mind, information is scattered and the people who are POC's just don't respond to emails.

So my work reimburses $10k/year in educational costs towards a higher degree/cert. There's an advanced study program where they select a few applicants per year to go to Northeastern (or a couple other schools) for a MS/GEL like I listed above.

The big issue is my boss told me two days ago about this, application was due Feb 9th. So I can't apply to this until next year. Kind of a bummer, but I knew it was there the whole time, just never thought about it. So what goes with that, is I can still use $10k for this next year anywhere I want really.

Do I apply to Northeastern and try to go part time? I'm pretty sure the costs are SIGNIFICANT at a private school. Do I apply to my alma mater into their grad program? It'd be $10-12k per year for a part time education there, so some out of pocket costs. However if I do that, I'd need to transfer to Northeastern and I'm not sure that would fly.

Not sure if Northeastern would let me just take one-off classes and later pull them into a degree program in a year.

What would you guys do?
Non-Degree Students - Northeastern University College of Science

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Did you compare their programs? Maybe take a look at any research their doing relative to your interests as well.

Ain't undergrad and you're working professional so name doesn't mean everything imo. Just weigh out the financial cost versus opportunity
The Northeastern program absolutely blows away UMass Dartmouth's program. Cost is about 1/5th though, and it's down the street from my house vs driving into Boston.

A plus for Northeastern is they have an agreement with my company so I know things would be taken care of and partly tailored to me.

Also because my undergrad was at UMass I don't need to take the GRE

Edit: Finally talked to the program lead. She recommended that if I take 1-2 classes before applying to the program (using the wormie link) i'd be a much stronger candidate. Probably what I'll do. Not sure how far $10k gets me though. I might be able to get two classes for that.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Another wrinkle. Was talking to an old colleague at dell emc and he's forwarding my resume for a principal engineer position there.

That should mildly please vinen

• 1Solidarity

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Another wrinkle. Was talking to an old colleague at dell emc and he's forwarding my resume for a principal engineer position there.

That should mildly please vinen
Dooo it. Gtfo of DoD bud! Keep us updated.

Vinen

God is dead
That's what I was waiting for

As for why. Since I'm on radar I've been looking into signal processing and the DSP course sort of whetted my appetite. Originally I was.going to do a five year bs+ms in college but something got screwed up with my timeline and I lost out.

I don't have some grand thought that I'll demand a higher salary with it, but there are definitely promotion stop gaps here. There are things like you cannot be a technical lead here without one (on stuff I'm working).

I'd be interested to know how your dad feels about you calling his career a waste of time. I have plenty of bad things to say about defense contracting but you have some very negative views considering you only interned at one and apparently with a yellow badge at that.

I worked at a Defense Contractor for 3 years post college with a Red Badge. :shrug:
If you'd read what I posted before I did get my clearance. It just wasn't at Raytheon.

My father and I have vasty different views as I am a Massachusetts Republican and I generally see our military as a waste of space. It's really just a jobs program at this point.

• 1Like

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Well just finished an interview. Thought I did pretty good. Made a careless mistake once or twice on memory allocation but coded this motherfucker up a doubly linked list in like 30 seconds and even asked him if he preferred it sorted (integers). Then haji starts asking me C++ questions when he said C was fine. Asked me something pertaining to deconstructors, I reiterated I don't know c++ so can't be sure. Asked me, "well what about in Java?"

Tried to not make him feel retarded. "Uhh Java doesn't have deconstructors last I checked but could be wrong." Got denied via email 8 minutes after the call. What the fuck. Dude why the fuck would Java need deconstructors, you have a MS in CE and you don't fucking know that Java has "garbage collection," Jesus fucking Christ.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I worked at a Defense Contractor for 3 years post college with a Red Badge. :shrug:
If you'd read what I posted before I did get my clearance. It just wasn't at Raytheon.

My father and I have vasty different views as I am a Massachusetts Republican and I generally see our military as a waste of space. It's really just a jobs program at this point.
What company (or industry) did you move to after DoD? Trying my hardest to make the shift and trying to make sure I've applied to all possible options.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Well just finished an interview. Thought I did pretty good. Made a careless mistake once or twice on memory allocation but coded this motherfucker up a doubly linked list in like 30 seconds and even asked him if he preferred it sorted (integers). Then haji starts asking me C++ questions when he said C was fine. Asked me something pertaining to deconstructors, I reiterated I don't know c++ so can't be sure. Asked me, "well what about in Java?"

Tried to not make him feel retarded. "Uhh Java doesn't have deconstructors last I checked but could be wrong." Got denied via email 8 minutes after the call. What the fuck. Dude why the fuck would Java need deconstructors, you have a MS in CE and you don't fucking know that Java has "garbage collection," Jesus fucking Christ.
He might have been asking what the garbage collectors calls when it destroys the object.

That said, I would have answered that messing with constructors and destructors, even though they do exist, is bad business in languages with garbage collection.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
He might have been asking what the garbage collectors calls when it destroys the object.

That said, I would have answered that messing with constructors and destructors, even though they do exist, is bad business in languages with garbage collection.
Nah, he was asking specifically on programmed invocation in regards to class hierarchy. But who knows. I dont know C++ so I can't say shit about deconstructors. Ya I know free in C. O well fuck this.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I've been in interviews where they just want you to answer a question the same way they would answer it and correctness is of little concern. I wouldn't want to work with people like that anyway, so I'm usually glad when they don't offer me the job.

I had a dude ask me all kinds of bullshit VI questions one time. I basically told him that I could pretty much google VI as needed or SCP a large conf down over to windows and edit in notepad++. His co-workers actually laughed a little, but I think it pissed him off. Ironically, I wound up using VI a shit ton and now am pretty fast with it.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Tried to not make him feel retarded. "Uhh Java doesn't have deconstructors last I checked but could be wrong.".
Pretty sure it does but would be rarely used. So rare that most developers probably don't know they exist because of that reason.

I had a dude ask me all kinds of bullshit VI questions one time.
Are you kidding me? VI? Fuck that shit. Sure, I know, people who are good with it can be fast as hell, but that's like a tiny percentage of the developer community uses it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I'm a VI wizard now and it's not something I imagined I'd be doing.

What was the deconstructor question? I'd just say hey dude I don't know c++ but I fan pseudocode it or just fucking Google it like a normal human being.

I have a different opinion on military and I don't think it's a job farm, at least not the engineers. Middle management for sure is a waste and needs to lean out. I would prefer we spend a lot on military spending and mission advancements rather than not. Besides radar is cool fucking shit

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure it does but would be rarely used. So rare that most developers probably don't know they exist because of that reason.
No, you're wrong. There is no Java equivalent to deconstructor, free etc. Java is non determinant in that sense, why do you think they don't use it in things like autonomous cars or drones?

ShakyJake

<Donor>
No, you're wrong. There is no Java equivalent to deconstructor, free etc. Java is non determinant in that sense, why do you think they don't use it in things like autonomous cars or drones?
You're right, but they do exist in C# though. Figured since the two languages are so similar that Java would have it as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Java has finalize but no destructors. I had to write Java for two years so I'm somewhat an expert on that shit language

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm a VI wizard now and it's not something I imagined I'd be doing.

What was the deconstructor question? I'd just say hey dude I don't know c++ but I fan pseudocode it or just fucking Google it like a normal human being.

I have a different opinion on military and I don't think it's a job farm, at least not the engineers. Middle management for sure is a waste and needs to lean out. I would prefer we spend a lot on military spending and mission advancements rather than not. Besides radar is cool fucking shit
Not even worth analyzing the specifics at this point. It's all moot. Everyone wants you to know 857474 languages 8495 frameworks, 8574 different tools and how to solve P=NP while you're at it.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finalize is roughly equivalent to a deconstructor, I think the main difference is that it isn't called until the object is GC'd, though I haven't had to write C++ in a decade.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Java has finalize but no destructors. I had to write Java for two years so I'm somewhat an expert on that shit language
And finalized is not the same as deconstructor or free, so you're wrong

• 1Worf