IT/Software career thread: Invert binary trees for dollars.

Siliconemelons

Update to those that care.

I am 1 month away from staring my it director job at a private high school. My VDI coordinator job has yet to be filled or even posted to allow me to work with them...le sigh

But the fun stuff is that we got Datrium in and so far it is a beast. This is a great storage solution that seems specifically made for VDI.

If you are in the market for storage, check them out.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Update to those that care.

I am 1 month away from staring my it director job at a private high school. My VDI coordinator job has yet to be filled or even posted to allow me to work with them...le sigh

But the fun stuff is that we got Datrium in and so far it is a beast. This is a great storage solution that seems specifically made for VDI.

If you are in the market for storage, check them out.
"Datrium software-defined converged infrastructure"

Sales vomit. Sounds like AIDS. I'm having Simplivity flashbacks already.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I know I've made a few posts in this thread before. I took one of them bootcamps(what a joke). But I'm determined to get my foot in the door somewhere.
You guys gave me a resounding suggestion to get into backend work instead of frontend or full stack
I'm looking at taking a udemy course, or just an online course to really solidify my skills and build some portfolio projects that make sense.
I could really use some suggestions/feedback on which language(s) to focus on so I can actually land the job. I dont want to make the wrong choice and end up being shit out of luck after doing a course. Please help. I'll even post some titties in the SS of that motivates you.
In anycase, thanks for your time, yet again.

Siliconemelons

So Mist Mist you just want to run everything that needs storage off of a NAS?

I hate to sound like a sales rep, but converged is where we are with storage.

In our DC we have Nutanix + Rubric for server virtualization and Datrium DVX for VDI. It's kind of cool having the ability to use these varied competitive things.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I know I've made a few posts in this thread before. I took one of them bootcamps(what a joke). But I'm determined to get my foot in the door somewhere.
You guys gave me a resounding suggestion to get into backend work instead of frontend or full stack
I'm looking at taking a udemy course, or just an online course to really solidify my skills and build some portfolio projects that make sense.
I could really use some suggestions/feedback on which language(s) to focus on so I can actually land the job. I dont want to make the wrong choice and end up being shit out of luck after doing a course. Please help. I'll even post some titties in the SS of that motivates you.

When I moved from the role of IT Support to Development, I took the first Development Job I was offered.

COBOL Development on an IBM Mainframe.

Not the illustrious languages that the bleeding edge Developers are using, but I was unblooded, and didn't get to choose.

Fortunately, I virtually avoided Assembler (HLASM/Assembly), but yeah, I had to learn Job Control Language, and VSAM (keyed files - think of the green Matrix screens, no seriously people have to read those, that's not just a movie).

On top of having to become a useful developer, becoming good at DB2(SQL), learning how to build JCL's, learning the Source Control for our system... I had to learn the Z/OS environment itself, aka: TSO on a QWS ISPF...esentially one step above a Terminal/Shell/Command Prompt, a step above vi, but far from an IDE.

Eventually, after switching to different groups and working my way up, I was able to get into different platforms, currently I run a group that still maintains Legacy Z/OS Applications, but also develops in .NET (C#, Visual Basic.Net), as the situation requires.

What you probably need to do, if you haven't done a degree is look for internships, or entry positions where they are willing to train you, and not try to be choosy about what they teach you. Even if its some 40 year old Sybase system, or People Soft, or whatever, you need to have time to shadow, and to sweat, you need to spend 8 hours working on finding the cause of a bug for an entire week, sweating and not having the answer, only to wake up in the middle of the night on a weekend to go, "Oh shit, it was because X didn't get passed to Z, it just looked like it got passed because Y never got initialized!"

Writing a "Hello World" program is never going to leave you with the feeling of "Ok, I've got this", which is what you're looking for, right now you're probably typing in statements, because a Youtube tutorial told you, and you hit the "run" button and it works, and that's cool for 10 seconds, but it still feels like its magic to you, you need to know that its not magic, and you have to sweat, that's the only way you will know that its not magic.

As far as languages on the backend, I would look at Java, or C#, get proficient at not just writing basic programs, but using the IDE and all of its functionality, even the free one's like Eclipse are extremely robust. Get really, really, acquainted with SQL. Source Control, coming from the Mainframe where originally, there wasn't even such a thing, we actually had a very easy to use product. off the Mainframe, GIT has been a brutal learning process, but ultimately its considered the most robust version control around, so if you want the full developer experience, you need to at least get the basics of it.

The thing about recommending languages, is that, yeah once you've developed on something remotely close to the metal, you can essentially pick up most languages (not to say it's easy, e.g. the jump from a close to the metal procedural language ,to a garbage collected, OOP, with huge library support is still a tremendous learning curve...just that the principle logic is the same). The basic algorithmic logic that runs most businesses is not a dense science onto itself. . Usually its more so that it was built a while back, wasn't maintained, and now most developers don't want to do the tedious task of finding out how it works, unless they're getting paid a lot...that's were you come in. But learning a language for a job that does not yet exist, honestly are you really going to bother?

If you started learning Kotlin or Rust, how many systems are using those languages? If I tell you to work on Java or Python exercises, and you end up getting hired to work on a Siebel platform...well honestly yeah, it would help in almost every case, I just question your resolve to really learn the language if there isn't a carrot or stick involved.

*Edited*

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
MusicForFish MusicForFish you are in a bad spot im not going to lie, the best i can recommend is first to not give in to despair.
Second is learn to program, on any language, learn to break things in to small tasks. learn how to use loops conditions memory structures to solve a problem.

What level of knowledge do you have? I posted a step by step tutorial in here, see if you can duplicated.
If you want to we can start from the ground and do somethign in azure or aws. something to start.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's tough for you to see now, but a lot of languages are the same with minor tweaks and didfferent syntax, but the fundamentals and algorithms are the same.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
I fucking love the FOH community. Thank you guys so much for your help and support! I'll reply to your posts in the morning....too tired.
These posts perked me up a lot. It's hard to keep chugging along after nearly a year and a half out of bootcamp without so much as an interview. I havent given up, just been pretty down about the whole thing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So Mist Mist you just want to run everything that needs storage off of a NAS?

I hate to sound like a sales rep, but converged is where we are with storage.

In our DC we have Nutanix + Rubric for server virtualization and Datrium DVX for VDI. It's kind of cool having the ability to use these varied competitive things.
Converged solutions are fine. Simplivity wasn't a bad product just has bad support. Nutanix is similar. Datrium I have no experience with.

I much prefer Cisco UCS and NetApp, because I can just do whatever I want with them. Point them at whatever NAS I want. Way more flexible overall.

I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone who has to manage, monitor and support a bunch of retard babies (and by retard babies I mean customers' Voice/Voicemail/Exchange/etc servers) that run on other people's infrastructure. I'd personally rather customers just had generic ESXI blades running off the most generic SANs possible (and by that I mean EMC) because there's less layers of shit that might have compatibility problems with real-time applications.

I don't want them running on some hyperconverged solution that is constantly being patched on X Y and Z layer by some other vendor and constantly breaking our shit.

Oh your DC vendor patched a thing and it changed the driver for some storage adapter and now everyone's voicemails sound like ducks quacking? Fucking cool. (Yes, shit like this actually happens.)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fartbox

Trakanon Raider

What language was your bootcamp in/what are you wanting to do? I can probably throw you some work depending on what you're capable of. I was helping a friend out who is/was learning to program, so I picked up a charity contract gig through my company for him to learn on. Didn't work out unfortunately, so now I'm looking to get rid of it.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Bit of a ramble here, apologies in advance.

Getting a bit bored at my job, QA manager a 100ish employee development company specializing in static analysis. I wouldn't call myself a typical QA person, we require all our QA people to be programmers first. Though, one of my minions is a genuine idiot

Code:
k['argle'] = 'bargle'

He thought that index operator was a list. I don't give him serious coding tasks anymore. He somehow snuck in through a State-sponsored program where they paid his first 2 years of salary. He does grunt work and that's what he deserves. This may look unrelated but it's the shit I have to put up with daily. I look forward to days he is out sick because it means I won't have to deal with him. I wish firing people was simple.

Anyway! I consider myself a generally proficient programmer, I'm not really sure I've ever been a developer. As in designing and implementing a large feature. QA does a fair bit of "grafting" onto existing test system, but anything that would require at least 1-2 weeks of work, the product architect does instead. I'm sure there's so many obvious things wrong with this setup that I don't need to go into details. And no, I rarely ever have any say in this.

I used to like working on the small features and even bugs. I frequently would continue working at home during my gaming time. The work is still there, the backlog of bugs and features is forever growing. I just don't give a shit anymore.

The job pays well enough, 100k in Ithaca NY with 5% bonus and raise every year I've been here.

I've been considering looking for a development job so I work with code more often. I'm hoping that will be more exiciting, and perhaps better for my career long term. I sometimes go weeks before being able to work on simple bugs.

For people in a typical development job, is this a good idea or just "greener pastures"?

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The thing about recommending languages, is that, yeah once you've developed on something remotely close to the metal, you can essentially pick up most languages
My personal opinion, formed during my university education in CS and cemented having to deal with people and their "fallout":

Learn assembly language, best for your current target platform - most likely x86 or ARM. Not as your first language, but as a second language. Then go into the debugger and look what it created from your code. This obviously doesn't work well on interpreter/bytecode languages like JavaScript/Python/Java. If you program C/C++ go to https://godbolt.org/

Once you learned how a processor operates, how the registers and its access to memory works suddenly a lot of high level concepts like call-by-reference and pointers, even pointers to pointers will click into place, making you an infinitely better programmer.

Then you read things like this: https://akkadia.org/drepper/cpumemory.pdf

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Bit of a ramble here, apologies in advance.

Getting a bit bored at my job, QA manager a 100ish employee development company specializing in static analysis. I wouldn't call myself a typical QA person, we require all our QA people to be programmers first. Though, one of my minions is a genuine idiot

Code:
k['argle'] = 'bargle'

He thought that index operator was a list. I don't give him serious coding tasks anymore. He somehow snuck in through a State-sponsored program where they paid his first 2 years of salary. He does grunt work and that's what he deserves. This may look unrelated but it's the shit I have to put up with daily. I look forward to days he is out sick because it means I won't have to deal with him. I wish firing people was simple.

Anyway! I consider myself a generally proficient programmer, I'm not really sure I've ever been a developer. As in designing and implementing a large feature. QA does a fair bit of "grafting" onto existing test system, but anything that would require at least 1-2 weeks of work, the product architect does instead. I'm sure there's so many obvious things wrong with this setup that I don't need to go into details. And no, I rarely ever have any say in this.

I used to like working on the small features and even bugs. I frequently would continue working at home during my gaming time. The work is still there, the backlog of bugs and features is forever growing. I just don't give a shit anymore.

The job pays well enough, 100k in Ithaca NY with 5% bonus and raise every year I've been here.

I've been considering looking for a development job so I work with code more often. I'm hoping that will be more exiciting, and perhaps better for my career long term. I sometimes go weeks before being able to work on simple bugs.

For people in a typical development job, is this a good idea or just "greener pastures"?
My opinion is if you don't want to be stuck in QA forever, you should probably start looking. Earlier in our careers it's much easier to switch. I've switched a bunch of times and it's a little of greener pastures and a bit of just being bored. A big part of the reason I left Raytheon was I wasn't doing much development the past couple of years and I was afraid if I stayed too long I'd be stuck. Probably done switching jobs now, but if you don't want to be in QA please get out